Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Inflatable space station burst test

Check the astronaut's pockets for jackknives and pins.

Noel

• Like 2

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

spacer.png

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Rubber Duckie ?

I hope its yellow .

10 hours ago, birdguy said:

Check the astronaut's pockets for jackknives and pins.

Noel

😁 The test was at five times atmospheric pressure. Lots of safety marine at atmospheric pressure in orbit.

It's a very tough structure, by some measures stronger than steel. I know you are joking, but any penetration would leak air slowly, no bursting.

This is Siera Space who are currently preparing their Dreamchaser spaceplane for testing. Great company.

3 hours ago, martin-w said:

It's a very tough structure, by some measures stronger than steel.

It's made from Vectran, the same material used by the Bigelow Expandable Activity Module, as well as  the airbags used in all the Mars landings. It has a tensile strength similar to that of Kevlar.

https://osnf.com/vectran-vs-kevlar/#:~:text=Vectran is hydrophobic (non-porous,melt or degrade in heat.

Edited by dmwalker
  • Like 1

Dugald Walker

The Bigelow inflatable structure was actually tested on the ISS back in 2016 and apparently it's still berthed. This guy is Kevlar too. Only a mini version though, not as big as Sierra Space version.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigelow_Expandable_Activity_Module

The Sierra Space modules could create a Space Station as big as the ISS with only three launches for $300 million. Rather than many billions and many years for the ISS. Truly revolutionary.

undefined

Edited by martin-w

These inflatable structures seem like a great solution for a Moon habitat. Easy to transport when deflated and you can spray concrete on top for a more rigid structure. 

Lunar base by Hassell

Modular moon base

This will be great. Axiom Space will be docking multiple modules to the ISS from next year.

When it's time for the ISS to meet it's fiery end, a modern space station will be left in it's place.

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

This will be great. Axiom Space will be docking multiple modules to the ISS from next year.

3:17  The space arm seems to be a plug-in type, so maximum flexibility of use.

17:16  At first, I thought the LIFE Habitat modules would be built around a rigid cylindrical core with all the plumbing, wiring, etc already installed but it looks as if all that stuff would be have to be shipped separately and installed after the module is established.

Dugald Walker

That moon habitat living room looks quite nice.  But I think after living in it for a week or two I'd be terribly depressed without an outside yard with green trees and lots of sunshine to escape to.  I would clearly not be a good candidate for a moon habitat or a Mars colony.

Noel

Edited by birdguy
  • Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

18 hours ago, dmwalker said:

17:16  At first, I thought the LIFE Habitat modules would be built around a rigid cylindrical core with all the plumbing, wiring, etc already installed but it looks as if all that stuff would be have to be shipped separately and installed after the module is established.

Yeah looks like it. If all the kit were included then it wouldn't be possible to pack it small for the rocket fairing. Makes more sense to deliver a sizable habitat with whatever equipment fits in the collapsed form and then deliver a second pack for the internals. 

15 hours ago, birdguy said:

That moon habitat living room looks quite nice.  But I think after living in it for a week or two I'd be terribly depressed without an outside yard with green trees and lots of sunshine to escape to.  I would clearly not be a good candidate for a moon habitat or a Mars colony.

Noel

Me too Noel, but the habitats you see are for our initial presence on the Moon. Astronauts will be there for their given deployment and then will return home. Much like scientists do now, on Earth, in Arctic bases for example. Our presence on the Moon will be permanent but personnel will come and go. Same for Mars. Permanent citizens of a self sustaining Mars colony are quite a way into the future.

Ultimately, in the future, there could be a time when gigantic Martian domes are replete with lakes, trees, and wildlife. Seems fantastical, but science fiction has a habit of becoming science fact. And in that time, with a self-sustaining Mars colony, and manufacturing and mining talking place off world, and Helium 3 extracted form the Lunar regolith, the neighbor's of Mars, back on Earth, could be enjoying a planet that's in a less polluted state. Lets hope that becomes a reality and mankind becomes more like the custodians of the planet, looking after the flora and fauna, rather than doing the opposite, like we do today. 

3 hours ago, martin-w said:

Lets hope that becomes a reality and mankind becomes more like the custodians of the planet, looking after the flora and fauna, rather than doing the opposite, like we do today. 

Let's hope.  But mankind being what it is it won't be long before politics and wealth building at the expense of the colonists will rear it's ugly head.

While not saying yea or nay to extraterrestrials it just could be they are using UFOs or UAPs to monitor us and our behavior and would look very closely at a colony on Mars to see if we have socially evolved to the point where we can get along with each other before they would allow allow us to venture to the stars. 

Noel

Edited by birdguy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1