Sign in to follow this  
regis9

Windows 11 - any tangible gaming benefits over Windows 10?

Hello, like everyone, my windows 10 install regularly nags me to upgrade to 11.

Reading through this forum, it doesn’t seem like many have had an issue in doing so, but I’m wondering if there is are many tangible benefits to doing so?  I use my computer solely for gaming, MSFS is my most frequent use but other sims as well, racing, trains etc and a few AAA titles every once and a while.

I remember reading an article a while ago that it’s easier to manage HDR perhaps?

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Would also like to know

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Memory scheduler is a bit more advanced and has some enhancements for graphics cards with larger amounts of memory.  Also, Win 10 will be reaching its EOL soon, so why not switch?  I would recommend starting from scratch instead of doing an in-place upgrade from 10 to 11.  

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

2 hours ago, jlohrenz said:

Memory scheduler is a bit more advanced and has some enhancements for graphics cards with larger amounts of memory. 

Do you have a link for this?  I’d like to dig into it and research a bit. Thank you, sir!

I don't right now, but if you search for Windows 11 GPU Scheduling there are several articles on the advancement specifically for newer GPU's with larger amounts of memory and graphically intensive applications (MSFS, P3D, etc...)  Also thread scheduling, Windows 11 understands the difference between P and E cores where windows 10 just understands clock speeds.

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

As mentioned, better thread scheduler for CPUs, which is more important on newer CPUs with efficiency cores and to some extend, added cache cores. Windows 11 also adds support for Direct Storage and Auto HDR. Also runs WDDM 3+ which has benefits if you use the Linux subsystem, improved dynamic refresh rate handling, video encoding improvements, hardware flip queue, newer shader models etc.

But, in the grand scheme of things, hard to really sell Windows 11 with a specific feature and performance wise, it's almost identical to W10. But in the same vein; they are so identical and with the minor improvements listed above, I see no reason NOT to use it.

• Like 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB