Sign in to follow this  
MiteyMT

What does ACES recommend for EH-101 engine surging?

Guest dswo

Two questions, in descending order of importance:1. Now that everyone is back from DevCon and FanCon, what does ACES recommend for EH-101 engine surging? Several fixes have been proposed -- does ACES endorse any of them? Here are the four that I know of, in order of increasing complexity:a. Move realism sliders full left.b. Comment out governor_pid line in aircraft.cfgc. Change the following in aircraft.cfg:governor_pid = 25.85, 0, 125.0, 0.0, 95.85collective_on_rotor_torque_scalar = 0.6weight_to_moi_factor=0.46d. Play around with even more variables in aircraft.cfg2. What does ACES stand for?

Guest paulstalled

I would just like to know what Phil Taylor's recommendation is about this engine surge?Paul S.

Guest paulstalled

Hello Phil,Thanks for replying.I Hope P12-C can drop in. :-) Paul S.

>P12-C is the helo guy, he really should reply here.Funny Phil :)It is true that I am a champion for better helicopters in FS and moving the platform forward for higher realism overall, I am not a simulations developer...The recommendation from a person on our team that does know, is to adjust one of the realism sliders down (I think it was only the torque slider). I haven't heard anyone in the studio embrace or diminish any of the other techniques listed in this thread.Bottom line, if it works for you then go with it. Hopefully we can further develop and tune the governor so that it doesn't hunt like this in future versions of FS.

Guest in_04

Hi Phil,could you or someone from the helicopter team explain what the values for the governor_pid are for?Maybe the community could tweak them to a better behavior.

Some thoughts on the EH-101. I fly a twin turbine helicopter for a living, and really enjoy this aircraft. The surging is a bit annoying, but does simulate turbine lag associated with big power changes, wind gusts, etc. However, I think it is manageable. When a helicopter nose wants to move left or right, you just stop it, and you have to be on the ball, it doesn't matter why it wants to moveIn my opinion, the here are the real problems with it's flight dynamics.When power is removed it becomes hard to change pitch. I should be able to dump the collective and nose the aircraft over, and I can't very well.The anti-torque pedals seem much to related to the power setting. In other words, I should be able to move the nose around at low or no power settings, and also at high power settings without any real change to it's responsiveness as long as I am not pulling more power than it's got. Seems to have no tail rotor authority at low power settings, and too much at high, but only in one direction.Overall, it flies like a quirky piece of crap, but I have had so much fun with this helicopter. Frigate landings, sugarloaf repair, avalanche rescue. Getting better.PS instruments are unreadable in VC when you are actually zoomed out enough to look around. Not EVERYONE flies in locked spot. I fly it exclusively from the vc, with trackir, and a top down view windowed to take the place of my crewmember. Have to hit shift Z to know whats going on, and I have excellent vision and a big monitor.

Guest fsxmissionguy

Mitey,Thanks for your mini-review. It's not often we get an actual rotorhead in the forum to give feedback.I think you're about spot on with your review. The biggest disappointment I've found in the EH101 is the difficult-to-read instruments in the VC. (I'm one of those pilots who flys ONLY in the VC, and at first, I thought it was just me, but this criticism seems to be pretty widely held.)It's hard to fly rescue missions in zero visibility with no instruments (and since I designed one of those missions, I can attest to this from firsthand experience). Shift-Z is the only alternative, but a poor one. I hope FS11 addresses this somehow.Even with that limitation however, the EH101 significantly extended FSX's helicopter capabilities. And I'm glad Paul Lange is pushing this aspect of flight within ACES. I started designing missions specifically because there were not enough helicopter missions in the RTM of FSX. Obviously ... Acceleration has addressed that oversight in a major way.

And I hope you continue to make us some more, especially the SAR stuff ;) The Palm90 & Grand Teton are still my favorites, really good stuff Kevin.Regards'Garett

Guest fsxmissionguy

Garrett,Thanks for the kind comments. Although I'm taking some time off from developing just now to take care of some family matters, I hope to be able to do more missions in the future.Cheers,Kevin

Good feedback Mitey.We intend to further develop our helicopter model and time will tell where we get with it.As for the views, we decided not to do 2D panels, and the gauges sit where they sit and are that size in the real aircraft. Most users are finding success using multiple views and maybe in the future we can make better use of multiple views without the perf impact...I am very glad to hear you are having fun with it even with it's faults.

Guest Calb

I mastered the B206 soon after it came out in FS98, a little over 10 years ago and continued to perfect my hovering skill over time. It served me well in the real world and now, with the EH101 Sling & Hoist capability, it is a real asset.The real thing is somewhat easier to hover because you have feel, as well as visual clues. Since there's no feel in FS, it becomes important to capitalize on the best view available. That view is the minipanel with the appropriate gauges visible.For EH101 slinging, I set up like this: http://members.shaw.ca/cbooth/EH101Screenshot1.htm It is selected by pressing F10 followed by 'W'. I also pan this view down a little so the top edge of the MFD is on the horizon when hovering. The second window is opened and left in it's default location and size. I select the Hoist View by pressing 'S' 3 times, followed by 'A' 4 times. It has a fairly restricted field of view but doesn't hide the load or the drop zone as does the top-down view. My realism sliders are full. Stick sensitivities are full and nulls zero.I use the Slingload Tutorial as my "playground" because it has a number of loads and a number of interesting or challenging places to put them. Here's a couple of screenshots of some things I've done: http://members.shaw.ca/cbooth/EH101Screenshot2.htmhttp://members.shaw.ca/cbooth/EH101Screenshot3.htmMiteyMT, you aren't imagining it. Both pedal and cyclic authority is proportional to collective. This true of *both* and EH101 and R22. The R22 has always had this problem. The B206 had it in FS2000 only. The B206 still has most of the quirks it had when introduced in FS98 but most people have never noticed them.There are several other issues with the EH101 handling but most people don't seem to have noticed them yet -- they only show up during precise hovering -- like when placing a sling load in an exact spot.I'm really enjoying the EH101.Cal - CYXXBeta tester

Guest fsxmissionguy

Cal,Is there a way to display the minipanel (HSI) in the VC?

Guest Horst

>Cal,>>Is there a way to display the minipanel (HSI) in the VC?e.g. :shift+1 and shift+2add these lines to the, before saved, panel.cfg:Window Titleswindow00=PFDwindow01=MFDWindow02=GPSWindow03=Minipanel//--------------------------------------------------------Window00Background_color=0,0,0 size_mm=456,378position=6visible=1ident=MAIN_PANELwindow_size=0.4,0.4alpha_blend=0.7gauge00=EH101!EH101_MFD,0,0,456,378, PFD//--------------------------------------------------------Window01Background_color=0,0,0 size_mm=456,378position=8visible=1ident=MINI_CONTROLS_PANELwindow_size=0.4,0.4alpha_blend=0.7gauge00=EH101!EH101_MFD,0,0,456,378, MFD