Sign in to follow this  
Joseph29

I hate Orbx!

One month ago I installed Gaya Simulations ENCN scenery and Orbx Split scenery. One month later P3D (v5.4) STILL asks me to enable the scenery when I start P3D. I am very frustrated with this now, I have other Obrx scenery I have to install but I don't want to because the sim will just keep asking me to enable them every time. I tried a few things but nothing helps.

Happened to me once, if i remember well you have to check addons.xml - most probably path is not correct.

Agree that it is shame that ORBX cannot fix old issues with their sceneries.

Artur 

What exactly am I looking for in the addons.xml?

Here is the entry from the add-on.xml file that is in the Gaya Simulations folder.
<SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4,0" id="add-on">
<AddOn.Name>Gaya Simulations ENCN Kristiansand Airport</AddOn.Name>
<AddOn.Description>This add-on package contains Gaya Simulations ENCN Kristiansand Airport.</AddOn.Description>
<AddOn.Component>
<Category>Effects</Category>
<Path>Effects</Path>
</AddOn.Component>
<AddOn.Component>
<Category>Scripts</Category>
<Path>Scripts</Path>
</AddOn.Component>
<AddOn.Component>
<Category>Scenery</Category>
<Path>Gaya Simulations\ENCN</Path>
<Name>FTX_AA_Gaya_ENCN</Name>
<Layer>461</Layer>
</AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

Here is the entry from the scenery_add_ons.xml file
AddOn.SceneryComponent>
<Path>C:\Users\orcha\Orbx Library\p3dv5\ENCN Kristiansand Airport\Gaya Simulations\ENCN</Path>
<SceneryCRC>678010565</SceneryCRC>
</AddOn.SceneryComponent>
</SimBase.Document>

Is this entry present in the add-ons.cfg file?

[Package.XX]
PATH=Your drive:\Your location\p3dv5\ENCN Kristiansand Airport
ACTIVE=false
REQUIRED=false

48 minutes ago, Reader said:

Is this entry present in the add-ons.cfg file?

[Package.XX]
PATH=Your drive:\Your location\p3dv5\ENCN Kristiansand Airport
ACTIVE=false
REQUIRED=false

No it isn't. I have a add-ons.cfg file in the AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin location and in the ProgramData\Lockheed Martin location. Neither one has the entry.

Edited by Joseph29

Most likely, either the file is set as read-only, or your Windows user account setting is not allowing P3D to write to its own files.
If you don't already, try running P3D as an administrator.
Orbx Central does not write individual product configurations directly to the add-ons.cfg file, instead, it creates a "Discovery Path",
which tells P3D where to look for its scenery.
Thereafter, P3D does the rest.
This is a Discovery path:

[DiscoveryPath.1]
PATH=Your drive letter/Your Orbx Central Library/p3dv5
TITLE=Your Orbx Central Library
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false

Edited by Reader

23 minutes ago, Reader said:

Most likely, either the file is set as read-only, or your Windows user account setting is not allowing P3D to write to its own files.
If you don't already, try running P3D as an administrator.
Orbx Central does not write individual product configurations directly to the add-ons.cfg file, instead, it creates a "Discovery Path",
which tells P3D where to look for its scenery.
Thereafter, P3D does the rest.

I tried running P3D as administrator and I also put my UAC setting to the lowest level, no change. P3D asked me to enable the scenery. When you say the file may be set to read-only, what file are you talking about?

Sounds more like a permissions issue in Windows than anything. Have you tried Orbx support? 

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

34 minutes ago, Dave_YVR said:

Sounds more like a permissions issue in Windows than anything. Have you tried Orbx support? 

If I can't get it fixed here then I will head over to Orbx.

Three files need to be checked when you have issues installing an ORBX-FTX scenery:
1- The file [scenery.cfg] path C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5
2- The file [add-ons.cfg] path C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5
3- The file [add-ons.cfg] path C:\...\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5

It's important to understand that these 3 files register the sceneries to be activated in different ways with P3D.
Usually, only one of the [add-ons.cfg] files should be used for each autodiscovery add-on.xml scenery.

As you specify that P3D will ask you to activate ECNN scenery when it is launched, 
there's a strong probability that an entry for this scenery is already in your scenery.cfg file.
On the other hand, if it does appear in this file, it means that your ECNN scenery has been installed at some point in P3D 
installation directory.

I have been in touch with Orbx and I think I have my problem fixed now. I am posting what I did in case anyone runs into the same problem.

While P3D was running I opened up the add-ons.cfg file located in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\add-ons.cfg I saved the add-ons.cfg file (both Orbx sceneries were listed in the add-ons.cfg file) then exited the sim. When I started P3D again I was NOT asked to enable the scenery and the scenery was working. So, I think I have it fixed now.

I'm adding Orbyx scenery manually, no issues so far. I guess I'm just old school & prefer doing things myself.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond...