Sign in to follow this  
Helge Rasmussen

MSFS quest 3 controller VR bindings

Hi,

I have mixed luck setting up the quest 3 VR controllers for MSFS. I want to be able to manipulate buttons and switches in the cockpit using the right controller

There are some youtube videos that are at least a year old describing this, but non works; I guess the settings in MSFS has changed in the meantime.

So, could someone list how they have set up their VR controllers please?

Any suggestions for how to set up controllers for VR in general would also be appreciated. 

Thanks 🙂

Helge Rasmussen

Is there any reason why you cannot use the mouse? MSFS really isn't well set up for VR controllers and the scroll mouse wheel is also used for a lot of controls which, to me seems a more accurate way to manipulate.

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

One reason is that if I open e.g. FSKneeboard, it shows up outside the window, and then I cannot grab and move it with the mouse. Or is there a trick I am missing?

Are people in general using the mouse in VR?

Helge Rasmussen

16 minutes ago, Helge Rasmussen said:

Are people in general using the mouse in VR?

I have never used my VR controllers in any flightsim. I have my mouse next to my yoke. Moving my hand from the yoke to the mouse is as easy and convenient as moving my hand from my desktop keyboard to my mouse. Having to move my hand from the yoke and pick up a VR controller is not as easy and convenient.

1 hour ago, JacquesBrel said:

I have never used my VR controllers in any flightsim. I have my mouse next to my yoke. Moving my hand from the yoke to the mouse is as easy and convenient as moving my hand from my desktop keyboard to my mouse. Having to move my hand from the yoke and pick up a VR controller is not as easy and convenient.

This is my experience as well.

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

I took your suggestions (Thanks!) and started to use my  mouse, it works fine except that the cursor doesn't always move when I move the mouse. This is extremely irritating. I know the mouse doesn't have any problems, because when I move the camera with the mouse in the outside view its very smooth. Its only a problem in the cockpit. 

Is there a setting or something that I can tune to make this better?

Helge Rasmussen

Never had this issue. Only concern is something trying to hit a click spot with the pointer but this seems to be down to the aircraft developer. Is this an issue with all aircraft?

This the most convenient "mouse" for me. Kensington wireless trackball. Destination Departure Pilot Kneeboard

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01936N73I/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087JZ3WNC/

See at 11:40 minutes in this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkt2M0olZTs

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I wonder why only I have the problem, as I said I iknow its not the mouse or driver as it works fine outside the cockpit.

The best way I can descrive the problem is that if I for instance move the mouse for a with a constant speed,, then sometimes the mouse cursor moves and sometimes it just stops for a while before moving again.

Its kinda like in the old days where the mice had balls (Remember them? :), when they got dirty the mouse cursor also sometimes stopped even though you were dragging the mouse..

Nice idea about the track ball, I might try it later.

Helge Rasmussen

The problem is gone now. After Googling a bit I saw a suggestion that it was caused by the rudder pedals. Disconnecting them in fact fixed the problem!

Helge Rasmussen

I am trying the Quest3 with MSFS at the moment. I usually use XPlane12 which works very well with the Q3 and just the controllers. I use the headset in a different room from the PC. I have a full suite of realsimgear hardware for the C172, mounted on my office desk,  but actually, using the Q3, in my lounge, is a much better experience than sitting in my remote, dark office. Anyway, I'd like to reiterate the OP's original question. Has anyone found a good way to use the Q3 just with the controllers?

Or, can you use MSFS in VR mode with the controllers, and a Bluetooth keyboard and (trackball) mouse linked to the headset?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, kevinbuckley70 said:

Has anyone found a good way to use the Q3 just with the controllers?

Or, can you use MSFS in VR mode with the controllers, and a Bluetooth keyboard and (trackball) mouse linked to the headset

I use my vr controllers, and prefer to instead of the mouse. I also have a Quest3 so I'm not sure what you are asking for help with since, for me, the vr bindings worked pretty well out of the box as soon as I hooked it up. But I'm talking about the point & click cockpit stuff...not sure what else you want to use controllers for. I was also using them to grab the yoke and throttles in the default airplanes at times when I didn't feel like hooking up my flight hardware. But again...I did't need to really change anything about the bindings.

What are you having trouble with, and with which aircraft? (be aware most 3rd party aircraft are not fully vr compatible and you cannot grab certain things with your controllers).

Edited by hangar

On 4/2/2024 at 2:27 PM, hangar said:

I use my vr controllers, and prefer to instead of the mouse. I also have a Quest3 so I'm not sure what you are asking for help with since, for me, the vr bindings worked pretty well out of the box as soon as I hooked it up. But I'm talking about the point & click cockpit stuff...not sure what else you want to use controllers for. I was also using them to grab the yoke and throttles in the default airplanes at times when I didn't feel like hooking up my flight hardware. But again...I did't need to really change anything about the bindings.

What are you having trouble with, and with which aircraft? (be aware most 3rd party aircraft are not fully vr compatible and you cannot grab certain things with your controllers).

After some amount of playing with the controller bindings I made good progress with this, apart from a couple of things I still haven't figured out. However my current problem is something else. I bought the Flysimware C414 as I wanted an old steam cockpit twin. I got this from the MSFS store, not direct from them. It looks fantastic using the Quest3 VR headset and I'm excited to fly it. But, very frustratingly, if I use either Quest controller to grip the yoke, it slams either full left or full right. No control at all. If I push or pull the yoke, in VR it only moves in and out a few millimeters. Everything else seems to work fine. But without the yoke, it's unusable. I fly just using the controllers. No mouse or keyboard. All other, stock, MSFS aircraft I've tried work fine and don't have this issue. I've spent hours now flying the stock C172S just using the controllers no problem. Anyone else seen this behaviour? I've spent the last hour sitting in the cockpit at the end of the runway, unbinding anything not strictly necessary but nothing will fix it. I can't find the specific controller binding associated with holding and moving the yoke. The only thing I haven't done is delete and reinstall it. That's next I suspect. I've also asked this on the Flysimware and MSFS Discord channels. Fingers crossed for a clue.

Posted (edited)

@kevinbuckley70 Most 3rd party planes are not 100% compatible with vr controllers, and most of the time that means that either you wont be able to use the yoke or the throttles with vr controllers. This includes the C414 (which i also own). If you want to fly 3rd party aircraft then you will need to use an actual yoke/stick, throttles and pedals. Then use vr controllers for all the other stuff which generally works ok in most planes.

If you must only use vr controllers and nothing else then stick with the default aircraft. There's also 2 other simulators that supports full use of vr controllers. Aerofly FS4 and VTOL VR.

Personally I decided to buy an extra set of yoke/throttle/pedals that I mount to a stand which I put next to my desk strictly for VR flying, and then move the stand away when im done...this way the desk doesnt get in way of me reaching out in cockpit 🙂

Edited by hangar

I just went through this dance.
Here's what I found works the easiest and most reliably...

I remapped (in the sim's native mapping) the quest buttons.
I couldn't find a reliable way to get the thumbstick axis to work with sliders and such or "grabbing" or "trigger grabbing" them and sliding/flipping them, so I gave up on that.
Instead I mapped the B and A buttons to "Cockpit Interaction - Increase" and "Cockpit Interaction - Decrease".

So I point at the control or switch (including 3way switches) and press A or B.
Some switches (usually 2 state ones) still work with point and click, but the ones that don't (usually 3ways) work well with the A B method.
Flaps are notably "backwards" since you "increase" them to lower them, but they're at least reliable and consistent now. 

I'd of course prefer to flip switches and slide sliders, but this provides a much more robust and reliable solution.