Sign in to follow this  
Tim_Capps

X-Plane 11 & JSim 737-200 Both on Sale, so...

For the price of one decent addon, I got both. I was tired of waiting and really, really needed a good 737-200. Now. If they ever come through with the v4 then it will be half price. If the 727 goes on sale, I'll pick that up, too. Just made my first flight and had a blast. Neither version of X-plane knows the other is installed, so that was drama free. In 12 the Felis 747-200 continues to amaze. But for the Coolsky DC-9, A2A Connie and Aerosoft DC-8, I would probably go ahead and uninstall P3D. As it is, I have flown it maybe twice in three months. Have never felt the love for MSFS (not that it's bad, just not my cup of tea).

• Like 3

Welcome on board! 

• Like 1

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Make sure you have this aerodynamic mod installed so you can fly by the book https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/259877-737-200-performance-mod/

FJS got the system nicely done, but the default aerodynamic is just way off.... I also quite miss PDCS from TinMouse...

The only old bird I still visit in P3D is HJG Dassault Mercure, surprisingly well simulated systems, with quite different procedure and care needed.

Edited by C2615
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, C2615 said:

I also quite miss PDCS from TinMouse

Thanks, have looked at those mods... never tried anything like that but might get brave enough. I think a lot of those 737-200s were probably really bare-bones, and doubt many had the Delco Carousel INS installed. N9009U was donated by United to our local avtech program. 1969 vintage but in service well into the 80s. It's got nothing but the Sperry and what appears to be an early ACARS system bolted onto the panel (screen with print capability). I imagine it was never flown anyway but Slant Alpha.

Sadly, N9009U will never be allowed to fly again (except in my post-apocalyptic fantasies) but the JSim at least helps me understand the basic procedures and interplay of systems. 

A working PDCS would be an amazing addon, though. I'm surprised no one has done it, since I wouldn't think it would be that difficult. But I don't know. And I guess United figured they paid pilots to look at table and do math 🙂

Edited by Tim_Capps
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, C2615 said:

The only old bird I still visit in P3D is HJG Dassault Mercure, surprisingly well simulated systems, with quite different procedure and care needed.

That was a good one, but I doubt somebody will ever be crazy enough to make an X-Plane model of modern standards of it. With 11 airframes, it's just a bit too rare.

45 minutes ago, Tim_Capps said:

A working PDCS would be an amazing addon, though. I'm surprised no one has done it, since I wouldn't think it would be that difficult. But I don't know.

Not difficult, but hundreds of hours of work. Model the PDCS, texture it, get the display rendered some way, hack in all the EPR tables from the performance manual and any other fancy functions, then test fly it in every conceivable way to iron out the bugs.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

20 hours ago, Tim_Capps said:

If the 727 goes on sale, I'll pick that up, too

Guess they read that. Optimistically, the sale could mean they are wringing the last bit of money from impatient people before releasing v4. If so, you are welcome 🙂

I already had XP11 installed so just did the same. Took a while to decide between the 732 and the 727 but went for the 737 as i think they said they would be updating that one first. I too love the Felis 742 as well. Just getting used to this 732 now as well!

3 hours ago, jamesb said:

I already had XP11 installed so just did the same. Took a while to decide between the 732 and the 727 but went for the 737 as i think they said they would be updating that one first. I too love the Felis 742 as well. Just getting used to this 732 now as well!

I was getting CTDs on both the 737 and 727 until I removed the X-TCAS folder from all of them. Just finished a New York to Denver flight in the 727-200ADV and can't remember a more enjoyable flight. It really keeps you busy the whole time. The 737 is great, too (plus has the advantage of a cabin). If you don't have X-Camera, I highly recommend it to juggle all the views. My eyesight isn't the greatest and the "momentarily" zoom on different instrument groups makes things a lot easier. The CIVA is a nice add-on for ten bucks, too.

Now I understand why it is taking so long to bring these up to a version 4 standard. But in the meantime, I'm enjoying flight simulation more than I have in years.

4 hours ago, Tim_Capps said:

I was getting CTDs on both the 737 and 727 until I removed the X-TCAS folder from all of them. Just finished a New York to Denver flight in the 727-200ADV and can't remember a more enjoyable flight. It really keeps you busy the whole time. The 737 is great, too (plus has the advantage of a cabin). If you don't have X-Camera, I highly recommend it to juggle all the views. My eyesight isn't the greatest and the "momentarily" zoom on different instrument groups makes things a lot easier. The CIVA is a nice add-on for ten bucks, too.

Now I understand why it is taking so long to bring these up to a version 4 standard. But in the meantime, I'm enjoying flight simulation more than I have in years.

Interesting as I have had one CTD, and in the log there was a whole bunch of entries just before about ATC doing something. Maybe that is the same plug in causing that? I will remove to see if it recurs. 

I will be adding the CIVA. That’s the only nav I have used in the 742 so hopefully fairly straightforward to use in the 732.

Not having XP11 precludes the delights of the FJS 727 and 737. It also precludes the delights of the Wilson DC-8 and Boeing 707-300s. There was a DC-9 30 sometime referred to as Rogers DC-9 that came up from the XP10 days to XP11 and with a couple of mods here and there is a very nice rendition of the Diesel! - sadly not for XP12 at all for all its reasons. 

FJS are well not high on my list of favourite developers - been waiting 18 months now for an update of the 727, Vague promises but nothing eventuates - cost them the sale of the Dash8 Q400 is all I can say. Complaints are ignored. 

Now the Wilson machines. For late comers to XP there was a very creative and talented single man modeller called Michael Wilson, produced the DC-8 the 707 and the Sandringham and had been working on a Comet 4 they were all packaged and sold via the Org Store but only for XP11. Some few years ago it seems some personal tragedy ensued with Michael - I suspect he died and well as for his estate or whatever who knows. Anyway the items once sold at the store have all now gone. But it is a reason you see skins for them in the library. His Short Solent looked stunning but I could not get it. I have come by versions of the DC-8 and the 707 and yes they will work in XP12 but there are some annoying bugs that you have to live with (No they are not pirate copies!). 

Big pistons ala the DC-6 by PMDG - shame they spat on the XP market and refused to sell it anymore for XP11 and not to upgrade it. Another developer goes to my z list. 

As for the Constellation - one never knows what somebody may be beavering away at but not seen any smoke on the horizon for such!

Almost tempted to do the sale but have the 727 already and well the IXEG 737-300 is a close cousin and a very fine rendition so can live without the 200. The MD80 has to do for the Diesel experience. 

The 737-200 while a great addon is only for X-Plane 11. A new version hasn't even been announced, could be years out and will have to be bought separately. So I would make sure I understand all of this before a purchase.

It was my favorite plane in XP10, really nice and graphically excellent. 👏

XP10-737-FJS-22.jpg

XP10-737-FJS-11.jpg

• Like 1

* FS2004 Supersky * ( Atmo Ambient Environment addon) creator.
* XP11 atmoXphere * (
Atmo Ambient Environment addon ) creator.
XP12.0.8 * with ACT (A
mbient Corrector Tweek ).

[Pc intel i3-4160 3.6ghz, 8gb ram, GeForce RTX-3060 12gb, Win10 Home 64bit]

Seeing as i have XP11 back up and running for the 732 i caved and bought the 727 too for £25 ! I held out for just 2 days having been very impressed with the 732!

On 2/19/2024 at 1:58 PM, jamesb said:

Interesting as I have had one CTD, and in the log there was a whole bunch of entries just before about ATC doing something. Maybe that is the same plug in causing that? I will remove to see if it recurs. 

I will be adding the CIVA. That’s the only nav I have used in the 742 so hopefully fairly straightforward to use in the 732.

The one in the 747 is more detailed, but the basics are the same, and the CIVA addon gets the job done in period fashion. As for ATC crashes, pffft... in my brief time with X-plane I have learned to use ATC at risk of CTD sometimes. I just skip it. This seems to be a longstanding problem. But the X-ATC plug in that comes with the FlyJSim stuff just needs to go.

6 hours ago, The Seawolf said:

The 737-200 while a great addon is only for X-Plane 11. A new version hasn't even been announced, could be years out and will have to be bought separately. So I would make sure I understand all of this before a purchase.

Yeah, not holding my breath, which is why I picked up X-Plane 11 despite owning X-Plane 12. It's actually pretty decent for my purposes, and like CoastalDriver pointed out, it's currently a must for some classics. They have said they are working on it, but they've been saying that for a long time. If it brings the 737 & 727 classics into 12 with improvements, I'd buy at least the 737-200. But I'm fanatical about those two airplanes. But at the moment I'm finishing a Baltimore to Salt Lake City flight in the 727-100 using radio navigation. (I do have the CIVA installed in the 200 but like to keep things different.)

On 2/19/2024 at 10:45 PM, coastaldriver said:

the IXEG 737-300 is a close cousin and a very fine rendition so can live without the 200

I love the 737-300 too, but... Coastal Driver, you know better in your heart of hearts. 😄

Yeah, I've noticed a distinct lack of big piston pounders in X-plane. I do have the DC-3 by VSKYLABS which is an absolute psycho on the ground, not to mention bursting into flames if you look at it the wrong way. Anyway, still couldn't be happier with the rest in both versions.