Sign in to follow this  
trainnut

Deleting & reinstalling MSFS

I am looking to delete MSFS & reinstall it & get rid of most of my Community folder add-ons

There are many post  on Utube ,forums etc, but none seem to be totally procedure specific.

Ques, Where can I find a good procedure to remove & reinstall.

There probably are some on this form but I seen to locate them.

I know that there are all sorts of files hanging around after deletion but finding them seems to be difficult

Any good help is appreciated.

Kev M

helps if  you mention if  its  steam or  store  version

• Upvote 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

18 minutes ago, pete_auau said:

helps if  you mention if  its  steam or  store  version

Post is tagged “store version” …

• Like 1

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

3 hours ago, trainnut said:

I am looking to delete MSFS & reinstall it & get rid of most of my Community folder add-ons

There are many post  on Utube ,forums etc, but none seem to be totally procedure specific.

Ques, Where can I find a good procedure to remove & reinstall.

There probably are some on this form but I seen to locate them.

I know that there are all sorts of files hanging around after deletion but finding them seems to be difficult

Any good help is appreciated.

Kev M

Not sure if this is the 'correct' procedure - but here is what I am currently doing - as for some strange reason I have been experiencing CTD after CTD.

I have the store version and windows 11

Go to settings, select installed apps, select Microsoft Flight Simulator, select advanced options (from the 3 dots), select reset, reboot, start MSFS 2020 and then when it checks for updates, should start downloading and installing MSFS 2020. As I am sure you are aware, this can be a very long process depending on your internet download speed. hope this helps.

George Westwell

I guess you know that you can easily remove any or all of the add-on files in your Community folder -- no need to uninstall and reinstall MSFS2020 to accomplish this.

Edited by cobalt

On 2/20/2024 at 5:46 AM, SquadronLeader said:

Not sure if this is the 'correct' procedure - but here is what I am currently doing - as for some strange reason I have been experiencing CTD after CTD.

I have the store version and windows 11

Go to settings, select installed apps, select Microsoft Flight Simulator, select advanced options (from the 3 dots), select reset, reboot, start MSFS 2020 and then when it checks for updates, should start downloading and installing MSFS 2020. As I am sure you are aware, this can be a very long process depending on your internet download speed. hope this helps.

I have had the same experience as you -- CTDs all the time. I finally bit the bullet and did a uninstall/reinstall of MSFS2020, not once but twice .It made no difference -- I still got the CTDs. But there is good news: in a recent thread in this forum that I started, I cite a video that explains in detail how to adjust the settings in your Nvidia control panel to optimize performance in MSFS2020. When I followed the recommendations in this video, it essentially cured the CTD problem. You might give it a try before resorting to uninstalling and reinstalling MSFS, which is easy enough but takes hours and likely won't solve your problem anyway.

On 2/20/2024 at 6:48 AM, trainnut said:

As mentioned, this is likely to be a complete waste of your time.
Unless you have been foolish enough to enter the Official folder,
reinstalling will make no difference whatsoever.

You do not even need to delete the Community folder.
If you wish to remove it from the game, simply rename it.
When you restart MSFS, it will create a new and empty Community folder.
Subject to any "Official" addons, you will then have a default
version of MSFS to start from.

Edited by Reader

Thanks for all  the info. I was having problems with CTD's & the game not starting "cleanly". Both seem to have fixed themselves now. At the same time, unknown to me, the Internet provider was switching my internet between cable & their 5G system back & forwards. That might have caused some problems, but it all appears to be working OK now.

• Upvote 1