Sign in to follow this  
jmig

Which Meta 3 Quest to purchase?

Since my HP G2 died, I am looking at the Meta 3 Quest. I see it comes in two version 128 Gb and 512 Gb. Are there any advantnges to buying the 512 Gb version over the 128 Gb version in MSFS or DCS? I don't do a lot of gaming, Skyrim and Starfield being the big exceptions, so the headset will be mostly for flight simming.  

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Well for just flight simming, the 128Gb is all you need. If you also want to load a bunch of games into the headset then the 512 would be better.

Never knowing quite what the future holds, and wanting to stave off any obsolescence as long as possible, I opted for the 512GB.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I'm eyeing the Oculus 3 as well. I am using the Rift S and its so blurry and the screen door effect is awful. The gauges are hard to read, ect. Would love to hear how your quest 3 is working for you.

The internal space in the headset is purely used for the internal apps (minor space required) and especially the "internal" games. What we're talking about here are the games that are not installed on your PC, but are instead purchases and installed (and used) from within the headset. These are games that do not require your PC. Stuff like BeatSaber and other popular casual gaming VR games.

For using the headset in PCVR (VR for computers), the internal storage is close to useless. See it just like your C drive for storing Windows and its updates and tools, nothing more. 128 GB will be more than enough.

I've a got a few standalone games on my 128GB Q3 and still loads of storage left. If your primary use if PCVR then save the cash and get the 128GB version. There is no performance uplift with the 512GB version.

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

8 hours ago, Lotharen said:

I'm eyeing the Oculus 3 as well. I am using the Rift S and its so blurry and the screen door effect is awful. The gauges are hard to read, ect. Would love to hear how your quest 3 is working for you.

It's terrific, really something!  Taxiway signs on default, non-payware airports are difficult to read, but I have to play with my settings a bit more to see if I can work that out. The clarity of flightdeck graphics is better than I anticipated.

It doesn't get as warm as I thought, so that's a plus.  Also, I purchased an adjustable headset comfort band from China I think for about $13.00 USD (instead of paying $40 USD) and it's made a huge difference!

Truly loving it.

Edited by DaveCT2003

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

21 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Never knowing quite what the future holds, and wanting to stave off any obsolescence as long as possible, I opted for the 512GB.

I decided that you offered good advice. The $150 extra is small when considered over the life of the unit. I also ordered a replacement head band with a spare battery for $50. 

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

3 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

It's terrific, really something!  Taxiway signs on default, non-payware airports are difficult to read, but I have to play with my settings a bit more to see if I can work that out. The clarity of flightdeck graphics is better than I anticipated.

It doesn't get as warm as I thought, so that's a plus.  Also, I purchased an adjustable headset comfort band from China I think for about $13.00 USD (instead of paying $40 USD) and it's made a huge difference!

Truly loving it.

This is good to hear. I barrowed my wife's quest 2 and it is a noticeable upgrade from the Rift S. I was really shocked. Its just very uncomfortable to wear. 

The only thing I noticed was it made my graphics card really heat up. I have a 3070 so I'm not even sure it can handle the Quest 3.

1 hour ago, Lotharen said:

This is good to hear. I barrowed my wife's quest 2 and it is a noticeable upgrade from the Rift S. I was really shocked. Its just very uncomfortable to wear. 

The only thing I noticed was it made my graphics card really heat up. I have a 3070 so I'm not even sure it can handle the Quest 3.

I'm running an i9-13900 with an NVIDIA 4070TI, and I've not had any issues thus far. The longest I've used the Quest 3 at one time has been about 2 hours, but what I normally do is Pre-Flight in the Virtual Cockpit, Taxi, Takeoff and Departure in the Quest 3, back in the VC for Cruise and Descent, and back again in the Quest for Landing and Taxi to the gate.

• Like 1

Dave Hodges