Sign in to follow this  
Vineguy

New install, Window 11 controls don't bind.

Yesterday I installed P3DV5.4 on a new machine running Windows 11. After setting up my joystick and calibrating, none of my control surfaces work except the axis for the rudder. I tried another joystick, same issue. Any ideas?

Bob G.

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

58 minutes ago, Vineguy said:

Any ideas?

More information needed.   What joystick?  Is it one that uses its own calibration software?   When you say 'Setting up', what did that involve?   Where and how did you calibrate the joystick?

Are you assigning and calibrating through P3D, or using FSUIPC or other software.   Is this problem with all aircraft or perhaps just with an addon aircraft? 

Check P3D / Controls / Axis assignments.  Are any other things assigned to the elevator and aileron axes causing a conflict.  

• Upvote 1

John B

I have tried MS Sidewinder Pro and Thrustmaster 1600. Calibrated using using P3D control calibration. Problem is with all aircraft. All worked fine with W10.

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

In the calibration screen, are the axes responding? Is it axes only, or buttons as well?

Cheers

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Buttons work fine. Throttle and rudder axis work fine. Just the elevators and ailerons barely move.

That is the second time in a week I've seen a post like this, same problem.  The other was in regards to using the Lorby Axis and Ohs, but was not caused by that program. 

If you have connected your controllers via a USB HUB, you should ensure it's a independently powered USB HUB, otherwise you should connect the controllers directly to the computer.  If you can connect using USB 2.0 instead of 3.0+, please try that.  USB 3.0 and later are not TRULY backwards compatible with USB 2.0 and some older controllers don't like USB 3.0.  It's possible to get the same type of symptoms in both instances above, buttons may work (because it's a purely digital response for buttons). Finally, ensure that power saving is turned off for all USB, you can do this via the Windows Control Panel or just do a search for turning off USB Power Saving.

I'm sorry, but I don't have much to add beyond the above.

Best wishes my friend.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

24 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

That is the second time in a week I've seen a post like this, same problem.  The other was in regards to using the Lorby Axis and Ohs, but was not caused by that program. 

If you have connected your controllers via a USB HUB, you should ensure it's a independently powered USB HUB, otherwise you should connect the controllers directly to the computer.  If you can connect using USB 2.0 instead of 3.0+, please try that.  USB 3.0 and later are not TRULY backwards compatible with USB 2.0 and some older controllers don't like USB 3.0.  It's possible to get the same type of symptoms in both instances above, buttons may work (because it's a purely digital response for buttons). Finally, ensure that power saving is turned off for all USB, you can do this via the Windows Control Panel or just do a search for turning off USB Power Saving.

I'm sorry, but I don't have much to add beyond the above.

Best wishes my friend.

Thanks for the reply, but there is no power management in the properties on that tab. 

22 minutes ago, Vineguy said:

Thanks for the reply, but there is no power management in the properties on that tab. 

You want to go into Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus controllers and right-click and check the properties on every listed device there and make sure that if there is a power management tab, the option to turn off the device to save power is unchecked/disabled.

This sounds to me like you have an unintended axis assignment somewhere--P3D may have automatically assigned an axis on your rudders, or throttle quad, or a game controller to ailerons/elevator when it first detected the new device.

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thanks. I did that, no change. I noticed that it's only some aircraft that have the problem. Perhaps do a fresh install may work. 

The difference must be windows 11. Years ago I installed the default B737-800 from FSX into P3d. It has worked fine for P3DV3, V4.5 and V5.4. The aircraft shows up fine but the elevators and ailerons don't work. Throttle and rudder and buttons work fine. I tried the PMDG 700NG but I didn't care for it. Most developers are not working on things for P3D like they are MSFS. I also have MSFS and I use the Bredok B737-800 MAX for that sim. I sure wish there was a work around to make the elevators and ailerons work in W11. 

I've had a similar experience with a Logitech X3D.  The twist rudder works fine, but the pitch/roll axes basically show up as binary  -512 to 512 both in joy.cpl and FSUIPC.  It appears to be a matter of drivers, and I have been unable to find Win 11 drivers.   

Dave Wadsworth
i9 13900K 5.5Ghz 64G DDR6000 nVidia 4090 
Win 11 22H2 Pro P3DV5.4 ASP/ASCA Pilot2ATC FS2Crew/TIR5/CP

My P3D machine runs Win 11, and on that machine I have a Thrustmaster TCA Airbus sidestick for Scarebus flying and for tiller control on other acft--it's the same electronically as the T.16000M.

If some acft work, and others don't then the problem isn't Win 11--it would be the same for everything if that were the case.

I use a free utility called DIView (d/l from the Leo Bodnar website) to monitor DirectInput when I suspect that I might have a hardware controller issue.  That will show you the raw data Windows is seeing from the USB HID drivers.

If you have FSUIPC installed, you can turn the logging feature on and watch the actual axis values in the sim.  Also, if you're using FSUIPC, having joystick calibration enabled can be an issue for some panels-try it with Aileron and Elevator axis calibration off (showing "Axis not processed" in the joystick calibration page of the FSUIPC UI).  And, of course, having the axis assigned both in the P3D controls and also in FSUIPC (or Axis and Ohs) is a no-no--one or the other but not both.

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

7 hours ago, Vineguy said:

Thanks. I did that, no change. I noticed that it's only some aircraft that have the problem. Perhaps do a fresh install may work. 

If it's only some aircraft, that suggests something in the sim/aircraft, not the controls or the general sim configuration. Maybe an FSUIPC custom axis setting?

Cheers

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.