Sign in to follow this  
jimh

Orbx EGNT Problem

Hi,

I have this weird problem.  I've posted in the Orbx forum and drawn a blank, and their support link is broken, so I thought I'd tell this friendly group about it.

I have lots of Orbx products working trouble free for a very long time, including EGNT.  Recently I returned there to find the place had changed.  The main building was there but blank with a dead look, some other buildings, but no lights, no ground vehicles, a host of Gates available which were never listed before. The airport just looks dead.

I've uninstalled, reinstalled, verified files, synced simulator, all to no avail.  I've compared my new version with a backup, and as far as I can see the files are exactly the same.  I'm really upset because Newcastle is the base I fly from and so visit most often.  I just want the familiar version back.  If anyone can help I'll be very grateful.

Regards, Jim H.

Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero, i9-10900k 4.8GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, RTX3090 20GB, Win10 HP 64-bit, 3 Monitors "19-22-19", Vive Pro 2 Headset.

Which version of P3D, Have you installed some other third party scenery such as FS Global.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Apart from Airports my other scenery is all Orbx.  I'm on v5.3hf2.

Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero, i9-10900k 4.8GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, RTX3090 20GB, Win10 HP 64-bit, 3 Monitors "19-22-19", Vive Pro 2 Headset.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jimh said:

Apart from Airports my other scenery is all Orbx.  I'm on v5.3hf2.

Do you have ORBX TrueEarth or EU England check that your airport EGNT is above your Landclass scenery. As this can sometimes cause a problem with scenery bleed through. ORBX will tell you this is not a problem, but I have always placed my airports above all other scenery using Lorby P3D Addon Organizer.

Downloads 

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

Check that your ORBX Library insertion points are set correctly. Most people don't set them at all which causes serious issues.

Airports and Regions goes way down below Randolph_AFB and leave the Orbx Global open LC set below Orbx Airports and regions.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Yes please do confirm the Orbx insertion points where any Orbx Global OpenLC should be below Orbx Airports and Regions, and I put Orbx Airports and Regions at the top of the P3D default entries.

Plus I use the Lorby Addon Organiser to manage my addon positioning of sceneries etc.

Also if you have Little Nav Map you can click on the airport in question and select the Infomation/Overview Tab where you can check/confirm what data sources are being used.

This is what I see for the main building @ EGNT (it's one of Orbx's defaults with a few extras).

spacer.png

Also came across this interesting image on the way to the AP, is it a maze ?

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

39 minutes ago, Rogen said:

and I put Orbx Airports and Regions at the top of the P3D default entries.

ORBX has always recommended that their FTX Airports and regions be placed way down below ANY of your non ORBX your addon sceneries as they include Mesh, and Landclass etc. I know you mention that you further customize your layers from there, but the OP did not which could lead to further confusion.

3 minutes ago, Dave_YVR said:

ORBX has always recommended that their FTX Airports and regions be placed way down below ANY of your non ORBX

By placing the Orbx Airports and Regions at the top of the "Default" P3D entries and selecting to insert Orbx Global open LC below Orbx Airports and Regions everything should be fine, being as non-Orbx can then be placed above Orbx.

I actually use specifly located empty marker folders to help keep everything in their appropriate place.

In anycase Orbx can place things a little strangly which is why I prefer to manage via the Lorby Addon Organiser.

However if all you've got is Orbx then the Orbx placement manger is fine and it's also good as a tool to place the default orbx order in bulk, otherwise Lorby is a far better option once an understanding has been gained on how order affects items.

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Another thing to lookout for is when you use ORBX Central it will reshuffle your scenery without you doing anything. Always check your scenery order after logging into ORBX Central. 

Raymond Fry.

3 hours ago, Rogen said:

By placing the Orbx Airports and Regions at the top of the "Default" P3D entries and selecting to insert Orbx Global open LC below Orbx Airports and Regions everything should be fine, being as non-Orbx can then be placed above Orbx.

That's just it, "can then be placed" means you move and manage them yourself which as we've seen SO MANY times in these forums over the years is that many people don't know how or think they know better and make a mess of it tending to blame ORBX or the scenery dev. You clearly have a very good understanding of it and how it all needs to be setup.

If you leave the ORBX regions and airports and the default placement without properly adjusting layers afterwards, it's asking for trouble. By placing it at the recommended placement by ORBX, the chance of errors and issues is much less without user interference. They can still get into trouble for sure, but it's harder to do.

3 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

Another thing to lookout for is when you use ORBX Central it will reshuffle your scenery without you doing anything. Always check your scenery order after logging into ORBX Central.

It does that when the insertion point isn't set properly, basically reverting to what you told it to do.

15 minutes ago, Dave_YVR said:

It does that when the insertion point isn't set properly, basically reverting to what you told it to do.

Even with an insertion point it will place entries in the P3D base scenery. and has in some cases in the bottom two. which in P3D is ground zero. all your third party airports and scenery take their hight from those.

Raymond Fry.

17 hours ago, jimh said:

I've posted in the Orbx forum and drawn a blank, and their support link is broken

It looks as if "their support link" is not broken.
Support - Orbx (orbxdirect.com)

Hi, All,

12 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

Do you have ORBX TrueEarth or EU England check that your airport EGNT is above your Landclass scenery. As this can sometimes cause a problem with scenery bleed through. ORBX will tell you this is not a problem, but I have always placed my airports above all other scenery using Lorby P3D Addon Organizer.

I use Lorby to arrange my airports above everything else, and in alphabetical order.  It's always worked well for me.  No other Orbx airports are affected.

11 hours ago, Dave_YVR said:

Airports and Regions goes way down below Randolph_AFB and leave the Orbx Global open LC set below Orbx Airports and regions.

Yes, that's where I have them.

@Rogen. Your image looks like my usual EGNT and I've never seen anything like your second image.

@Reader.  The link didn't work for me, but now Nick has replied to my post, and I've sent him an image of the "dead" airport.

Thank you all for your advice, much appreciated.  If no solution is found, I might have a workaround.  I've just remembered that I have a collection of UK2000 airports, and one of them is EGNT.  Any one of those has worked perfectly in P3D5 so far for me, so I could try that.

Regards, Jim

14 minutes ago, jimh said:

@Reader.  The link didn't work for me, but now Nick has replied to my post, and I've sent him an image of the "dead" airport.

It's still working here, maybe you could try another browser, or clearing your existing browser cache.