Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

BIOS level virus now invented.

Apparently, there's a new type of virus that infects the UEFI (commonly called the BIOS). No antivirus software can fix this type of virus. The system will be hosed. So far there have been no outbreaks of such virus but the vulnerability has been discovered.

A complete prevention is to have installed the latest BIOS update for your brand of motherboard. Not all models of all brands of motherboards has a BIOS update yet to prevent this. But some do.

I updated my BIOS just now.

When you go to your motherboard brand's webpage and look at the BIOS versions available, the description of the version should mention if there is a fix for this new type of virus. Look for the word: LOGO.  The LOGO.png or similarly named file that displays when you reboot the computer is the gateway for the virus to hose the BIOS. So this type of virus is called LOGO virus.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

There is not a snowballs chance in hell that I will ever update my bios version.

On 3/17/2024 at 9:07 PM, FBW737 said:

There is not a snowballs chance in hell that I will ever update my bios version.

why not?  I've always kept up to date with newest bio's.  Maybe once in last 20 years I've had to flash backwards.  But when you look at the list of features/functions added with new versions to me it's a no brainer.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

1 hour ago, micstatic said:

But when you look at the list of features/functions added with new versions to me it's a no brainer.  

I struggle to think of new features that a BIOS update would deliver. To me it's about stability, sometimes security or not having your CPU cooked by poorly behaving motherboard makers.

Cheers

• Like 4

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

1 hour ago, micstatic said:

why not?  I've always kept up to date with newest bio's.  Maybe once in last 20 years I've had to flash backwards.  But when you look at the list of features/functions added with new versions to me it's a no brainer.  

My system is a 10900k on an Asus ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO (WI-FI). I followed the guide of the late Great NickN building the system to the letter. His last system building guide. He devised a novel overclocking approach for this build which he published. I remember him clearly saying the later Bios updates after after 0607 borked the approach and it would not work and clearly said it would only work with that early bios version. It may work with much later bios version but 2 or 3 of them after the 0607 version were ruled out. I don't intend to find out! system works perfectly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luke said:

I struggle to think of new features that a BIOS update would deliver. To me it's about stability, sometimes security or not having your CPU cooked by poorly behaving motherboard makers.

Cheers

don't forget that sometimes the cooked CPU's were literally not an issue if running a newer bios.  but I get it.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

18 minutes ago, micstatic said:

don't forget that sometimes the cooked CPU's were literally not an issue if running a newer bios.  but I get it.  

Sorry I wasn't clear - that is a huge reason to stay up to date. I would not run an AM5 system without being certain I was on a newer AGESA version.

Cheers

• Like 2

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Flashing Bios is very easy with modern motherboard using a USB stick.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

2 hours ago, Luke said:

Sorry I wasn't clear - that is a huge reason to stay up to date. I would not run an AM5 system without being certain I was on a newer AGESA version.

Cheers

Yes! The latest AGESA have been very stable for me.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |