Sign in to follow this  
cavaricooper

"You need to stop your engines to request Ground Services."

This silly announcement has started playing when I fly GA/props (which I will admit I seldom do).  I don't remember this occurring before this last "hotfix".  Any thoughts welcome.

Ta!

• Like 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

It's because the GSX executable (coutl?) runs with MSFS. You can either just shut it down every time or delete the respective lines from exe.xml and then either manually run it, or set it to run from AddOnLinker when you have GSX enabled.

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

1 hour ago, Gazzareth said:

It's because the GSX executable (coutl?) runs with MSFS. You can either just shut it down every time or delete the respective lines from exe.xml and then either manually run it, or set it to run from AddOnLinker when you have GSX enabled.

G

Could you please expound.... I have it, it's too much faffing around and so do not use/load it from Addon Linker- but still bits of it load... which I may need for FSDT airports?

Ta- C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

I am even willing to uninstall GSX if this will love the issue- don’t really use it enough to keep installed… will that do it?

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Posted (edited)

In the sim open the GSX menu, go to GSX settings > audio then untick play audio warnings. I think that should stop it from happening, however GSX might not warn you if its waiting for you to do something (for example if its waiting for you to open or close a door).

Disregard this seems to be an audio cue that isn't disabled by that option.

Edited by Tempest

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, cavaricooper said:

This silly announcement has started playing when I fly GA/props (which I will admit I seldom do).  I don't remember this occurring before this last "hotfix".  Any thoughts welcome.

The announcement doesn't come out for no reason. It comes because you either opened the GSX menu, or you left the GSX menu Active (icon white) from a previous session with GSX, and then pressed the GSX Hotkey when you were parked.

Since you seem surprised by this, indicated you haven't opened the menu yourself, it might suggest you might have pressed the GSX hotkey instead. Is it possible the key assigned to GSX be is also assigned to some other function, so you called that function and the GSX menu (which you left Enabled from a previous session) opened?

Preventing the menu to be opened by accident is another reason for the GSX manual to suggest this workflow, at Page 90, where the menu is explained:

This is how your normal workflow should be:

• Open the GSX menu from the Toolbar icon when first starting Ground services.
• Don’t close it from the Toolbar while Ground services are performed, always use the Hot-key or the X icon to close the menu.
• Close the menu using the Toolbar icon when you are done with Ground services, usually before take-off.

By following this method, since you'll Deactivate the GSX Menu when you don't need it anymore, the menu won't open accidentally if you don't need GSX at that time, even if you had a key conflict with something else. 

Because, as explained in the same chapter, when the menu icon is not Active (so it's darkened), GSX won't issue any notifications or pop-ups, and won't even respond to the Hotkey.

Edited by virtuali
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Uumberto- 

Thank you for your detailed response. I will check and report back here. The surprising thing is that I currently do not have GSX loaded, as I use add on linker to activate it. Despite this, I hear the message. GSX is installed in the FST directory, but as I say, I do not call it up to use, as I do that through Adon Linker.

As always, I appreciate your assistance and will be back with further information.

Thank you- C

Edited by cavaricooper

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

34 minutes ago, virtuali said:

The announcement doesn't come out for no reason. It comes because you either opened the GSX menu, or you left the GSX menu Active (icon white) from a previous session with GSX, and then pressed the GSX Hotkey when you were parked.

Sorry to say, this isn't how it is working. If I boot the PC from cold, launch the Sim and start a flight I get this.

Don't go anywhere near the toolbar OR hotkey. Keeps on until I kill the executable.

G

4 minutes ago, Gazzareth said:

Sorry to say, this isn't how it is working. If I boot the PC from cold, launch the Sim and start a flight I get this.

Of course this is how it works, and I can only confirm my previous explanation is correct.

When I've said, "from a previous session", it also means a new session long after you closed the sim because, the sim remembers which Toolbar icons were Enabled when you closed it, so if you start afresh, the sim, they will open automatically.

So yes, it's yet another good reason to follow the workflow in the manual, which suggests closing the GSX Toolbar menu when you are done with GSX, usually before take-off. 

With another benefit: if the menu is closed, GSX won't do anything during the flight, not even periodically querying the Navdata to look for nearby airports in case you'd want to pre-select a gate in flight. Which will not only decrease traffic over Simconnect and reduce the risk that any problem with the Navdata might cause a crash in flight (of GSX, not the sim, which shouldn't be a problem anymore since we added an auto-restarter), but it will reduce the CPU occupation as well, by not having to make any unnecessary calls to Simconnect, when you indicated your will to pause using GSX for the time being, by closing the Toolbar menu.

9 minutes ago, virtuali said:

Of course this is how it works, and I can only confirm my previous explanation is correct.

When I've said, "from a previous session", it also means a new session long after you closed the sim because, the sim remembers which Toolbar icons were Enabled when you closed it, so if you start afresh, the sim, they will open automatically.

So yes, it's yet another good reason to follow the workflow in the manual, which suggests closing the GSX Toolbar menu when you are done with GSX, usually before take-off. 

With another benefit: if the menu is closed, GSX won't do anything during the flight, not even periodically querying the Navdata to look for nearby airports in case you'd want to pre-select a gate in flight. Which will not only decrease traffic over Simconnect and reduce the risk that any problem with the Navdata might cause a crash in flight (of GSX, not the sim, which shouldn't be a problem anymore since we added an auto-restarter), but it will reduce the CPU occupation as well, by not having to make any unnecessary calls to Simconnect, when you indicated your will to pause using GSX for the time being, by closing the Toolbar menu.

I will give that a try, my point however was that you stated you had to press the "Hotkey" for the issue to occur - it happens without pressing it, in fact I am actually guilty of not using it enough !!

G

1 minute ago, Gazzareth said:

was that you stated you had to press the "Hotkey" for the issue to occur -

That's the 3rd probable reason for this to be happening having left the menu open from the last session, so the simulator reopened it for you, without having to press the Hotkey. 

A case which, again, would be prevented by simply following the suggested workflow.

Posted (edited)

So if you leave the GSX menu open on a previous flight, then close MSFS, reboot your PC, launch MSFS - with GSX not even active - you'll get this audio message bug?

That is some overreach by Couatl.

Is Couatl running all the time on every MSFS session for people who have GSX - even when it's deactivated using Addon Linker?

Edited by JYW

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

48 minutes ago, cavaricooper said:

The surprising thing is that I currently do not have GSX loaded, as I use add on linker to activate it.

Not surprising at all, and happens because you use the Addon Linker, instead of the official method in FSDT Installer: Uninstall and reply Yes to the first question (UNLINK) and No to the second question (Uninstall).

By not using the FSDT installer, you are skipping several steps which are required to Disable/Enable GSX correctly, with the most important one being the removal of the Couatl entry from EXE.XML, which is the most important thing to do.

By using the Addon Linker, you just remove the GSX packages which contains mostly vehicles and textures, but not the actual software, which will now work in an unpredictable way, since it starts, but with no objects/texture package in the sim, causing all sort of errors it for any reason (even accidental, or triggered by some 3rd party app that integrates with GSX) it *tried* to create objects the sim can't see anymore.

That's why the Couatl engine must always be disabled together with the GSX packages in the Community folder, if only because it's no use starting the Couatl engine with no packages installed.

The FSDT Installer removes/restores the entries in the EXE.XML as required when Unlinking/Relinking.

Other extra operations which are performed when Relinking GSX with the FSDT Installer (which the Addon Linker will miss), are the automatic scan to Disable GSX Jetways on 3rd party airports, in case you installed NEW airports during the time GSX was Unlinked, or installing GSX profile for FSDT airports, in case you installed any new FSDT airport during the time GSX was Unlinked.

• Like 3