Hi all,

So I just got back from holiday (today) and one of the things/activities we did involved using a VR headset.  It was awesome and having been thinking about (but not researching much) trying VR for MSFS2020 I've just leapt in and bought a Quest 3!  I haven't even collected it yet!  I got a bit swept away.. Anyhoo, I should probably do some research!  My PC specs are below so I was wondering what your opinions are and whether I have "chosen poorly" (Indiana Jones reference there)?  As always, thanks very much in advance.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X CPU, 8 Cores / 16 Threads, 3.8 - 4.7GHz

32GB DDR4 3200MHz Memory (2 x 16GB Sticks)

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING Motherboard

500GB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive

Corsair RM850X v2 80 PLUS Gold 850W PSU

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6X Graphics Card

2TB Samsung 870 QVO Solid State Drive

Cheers,

Dan (now £600 lighter)

It will work fine with some compromises. Definitely pick up Virtual Desktop app for the connection between sim and headset, do not use SteamVR.

In MSFS, run DLSS (Probably balanced or performance) rendering and enable SSW (motion reprojection) in Virtual Desktop.

Use the above as a starting point then tweak from there.

OpenXR Toolkit will let you fine tune the experience.

Your specs should provide a good experience in VR.

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

Thanks buddy, really appreciate your input.  If you had the choice to upgrade something on my specs to improve the experience what would you recommend?

Thanks again.

Dan

For VR, the RTX3080 all day. Ideally, you would want a 4080 or higher to get the most out of the headset.

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

Well how am I ever supposed to go back to a 2D monitor now?!

I need to do some tweaking but this is unreal!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, concretedan said:

HAHAHA. My sentiments exactly! I had a neck ache this weekend and thought I'd fly some in 2D, I used to love it. Yuk! 😂

Eddie
KABQ

1 hour ago, concretedan said:

It's awesome,  isn't it!

On 4/1/2024 at 11:15 PM, haskell said:

HAHAHA. My sentiments exactly! I had a neck ache this weekend and thought I'd fly some in 2D, I used to love it. Yuk! 😂

I don't know how anyone can fly a helicopter in 2D.

Did my first proper flight tonight using Fenix A320 and simbrief, etc.  Absolutely brilliant it was!  I can't believe how you can forget you're at home!  A great purchase.  I wish the cockpit was a bit clearer as it's a bit blurry but overall the experience is well worth the investment.

1 hour ago, concretedan said:

I wish the cockpit was a bit clearer as it's a bit blurry

Welcome to VR land! What settings are you running? We may be able to assist with the clarity of the cockpit...lots of tweaks to get it as good as we can...

Are u using OpenXR Toolkit as yet?

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

That's very kind of you, thank you and I will certainly take you up on that!  I'm a bit useless when it comes to understanding what the various settings actually do though!  Should I screenshot them and add them here?

Thanks again and all the best

Dan

I think I'm in the same boat as you Dan, you have the better card though, mine is a RTX 3060, I,ve been flying in VR now for 3 months, I cant go back to a monitor...its rubbish! ha! I've got it running pretty smooth but I just wish it was a bit more clearer, its just a bit too blurry but I put up with it because the immersion is just incredible plus I keep telling myself its as good as I can get it because of my graphics card. Anyway I will follow the thread closely and see if I can get a few tips here...ya never know what the more experienced guys will advise. Cheers now and enjoy!!👍

Regards

Paul EGCC

43 minutes ago, tull said:

I think I'm in the same boat as you Dan, you have the better card though, mine is a RTX 3060, I,ve been flying in VR now for 3 months, I cant go back to a monitor...its rubbish! ha! I've got it running pretty smooth but I just wish it was a bit more clearer, its just a bit too blurry but I put up with it because the immersion is just incredible plus I keep telling myself its as good as I can get it because of my graphics card. Anyway I will follow the thread closely and see if I can get a few tips here...ya never know what the more experienced guys will advise. Cheers now and enjoy!!👍

Can you post your set up including cpu and headset and which tools/apps/settings you are using?

Absolutley...

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700F @ 2.50GHz   2.50 GHz, 32.0 GB Ram, 12GB RTX 3060 Card

Meta Quest 3, Virtual desktop and also Steam VR. I do have open XR toolkit installed but not fiddled about with it yet. Thanks

Regards

Paul EGCC