Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Alternative to DDU?

8 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I still think a human is better placed to decide than a program.

And yet... We're all programs...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

On 3/27/2024 at 3:19 PM, spilok said:

I was wondering if anyone can endorse a program for uninstalling Nvidia drivers OTHER than DDU?  I have used DDU in the past and I'm not convinced it is effective, let alone even necessary.  Sometimes I let Nvidia remove older drivers automatically by just installing the newer driver, and that seems to work well.  However, when reverting to an older driver, I used DDU.  It's a little cumbersome in that you have to go into Recovery, Start up settings, restart several times, go into safe mode and then install.  I guess I'm just asking if there is a "tried and true" driver uninstaller that is safe and effective and indeed does give a clean slate for installing a brand new Nvidia driver.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-nvcleanstall/

• Like 1

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

5 minutes ago, jcomm said:

And yet... We're all programs...

Huh?

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 3/29/2024 at 4:58 AM, Ray Proudfoot said:

That might be best for fast moving games but not for flight sim. 30Hz is generally considered the best compromise between complexity and performance.

That's assuming you don't have a variable refresh rate monitor.

On 3/29/2024 at 4:58 AM, Ray Proudfoot said:

I still think a human is better placed to decide than a program.

Most people do. It's a common cognitive weakness of ours.

Cheers

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

6 minutes ago, Luke said:

That's assuming you don't have a variable refresh rate monitor.

When your state of the art system cannot manage 30 at Heathrow with FSL Concorde plus 160+ AIG Ai I can’t see how VRR would help. Manual fine tuning is required. Yes, VRR can increase it once airborne but I’ve never felt the need for anything faster.

DDU / NVCleanstall remains my preferred software.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 3/27/2024 at 7:19 AM, spilok said:

I have used DDU in the past and I'm not convinced it is effective, let alone even necessary.

I use the DDU "process" when I run into issues that I can't resolve or when I change from one GPU to different GPU (be in nVidia or AMD).

The process is as follows:

0. Make sure your user account is Administrator

1.  Download the latest graphics drivers from AMD or nVidia (C:\nVidia or C:\AMD)

2.  Download the latest DDU version from Guru3D

3.  Unzip DDU and run the DDU exe to further extract

4.  Copy the final extract of DDU to C:\DDU

5.  Run msconfig (System Configuration) | Boot tab | check "Safe Boot"

6.  Reboot when prompted

7.  While PC is rebooting remove network cable from NIC (if you run wireless make sure you've disabled it prior to reboot)

8.  You will boot into Safe Mode (don't make any changes to graphics)

9.  Run MSCONFIG again and uncheck Safe Boot

10.  When prompted to reboot select No or Cancel

11.  Run DDU from C:\DDU

12.  Select DDU Device type for AMD or nVidia Graphics Card

13.  Click on the "Clean and Restart" button

14.  Agree to any prompts and the cleaning will begin and wait for it to reboot

15.  Once booted back into Windows navigate to the graphics drivers downloaded in Step 1 (C:\nVidia or C:\AMD) and execute the installer.

16.  After install, reboot your PC

17.  Plug you Network cable back in or enable wireless.

I use this process less and less these days, but sometimes an nVidia install will not go as planned (block by Anti-Virus or some other system corruption).  If your system has BSOD or just reboot spontaneously these are events that can cause driver corruption (more likely the configuration settings for the drivers).  I've never had to use DDU with my AMD GPUs, but DDU does support AMD also.