Sign in to follow this  
rmeier

Manhatten Heliport (and a paint tutorial!)

Today's post is a little different...

A few days ago, I created a Blender 3D model of the Guimbal G2 to paint a livery and do some sightseeing in French Polynesia. As I was creating my livery for that adventure, I thought to myself..."this would make a great tutorial for anyone interested in learning to paint a simple aircraft in MSFS". So away I went this week on a mission...create an introductory, step-by-step video (and all the paint kit materials) for a paint tutorial.

In the tutorial (if you're interested!), you're going learn to paint a fictional "NYC Air Taxi" based on the Cabri G2 Helo in MSFS. The paint kit (on Flightsim.to) includes a Blender 3D model as well as a simple GIMP 2D paint kit, with complete image stencils and included instructions to make the aircraft you see here.

OK...and for those who don't really care about repainting...let's make this an interactive post anyway...

The first photo today is of the Downtown Manhatten Heliport (KJRB)...who can name a Hollywood Movie featuring this location? (I'll start...the 1999 remake of "The Thomas Crown Affair"...I actually have both versions including the 1968 Steve McQueen original). Post your answer in the comments!!!

Y8lMm4a.jpg

oKd4kd1.jpg

tpYQlGO.jpg

Attached is a link to a Youtube Tutorial Video to paint this livery:

Introduction to Livery RePainting in MSFS2020 (youtube.com)

And the MSFS Paint Kit(s):

Guimbal Cabri G2 Blender 3D and GIMP 2D Paint Kit and Tutorial for Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS

• Like 4

Great shots and thanks for the Information links..

cheers 😉

• Like 1

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

30 minutes ago, pmplayer said:

Great shots and thanks for the Information links..

cheers 😉

Thanks for the feedback...if you're interested to learn how to re-paint liveries...hope this helps!

BTW...in your reply you didn't give me a movie that features the Manhatten Heliport!  😊😁

• Upvote 1

Many thanks, Rod. I'm definitely interested in trying my luck with repainting some of my planes. Btw, the remake of the Thomas Crown Affair with Pierce Brosnan has the same title. I too have both copies. Maybe I have to watch the remake again, which I actually liked more than the original. Other movies that feature this heliport I don't remember.

• Like 1

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

Ok, Google is your friend:

The DMH has been featured in several films and television shows. Among them were Hollywood blockbusters, including the 1997 movie Fools Rush In, Michael J. Fox’s For Love or Money, and the TV series hit White Collar 😄

• Like 1

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

43 minutes ago, bernd1151 said:

Ok, Google is your friend:

The DMH has been featured in several films and television shows. Among them were Hollywood blockbusters, including the 1997 movie Fools Rush In, Michael J. Fox’s For Love or Money, and the TV series hit White Collar 😄

LOL...thanks for the google search...yup, the other one on my mind when I wrote this post was "Fools Rush In" with the late Matthew Perry and the oh so beautiful Salma Hayek!  😊

Posted (edited)

Good work your tutorial Rob! But meanwhile I decided not to become a painter, I have to concentrate a bit on other things with all my sims.

Edited by andiflyit
  • Like 1

PC: Ryzen 7 3700x AM4, 16 GB RAM, GTX 1060 6GB, Storage SSD 3TB, HDD 8TB, USB 8TB, 2 Screens, Win10-64

SIMs: FSX SE, P3d 3.4/4.5/6.1, Xplane11/12, MSFS, Aerofly 4

11 hours ago, rmeier said:

Thanks for the feedback...if you're interested to learn how to re-paint liveries...hope this helps!

BTW...in your reply you didn't give me a movie that features the Manhatten Heliport!  😊😁

In my older Sim times ( FSX ) i did a lot of aircraft paints my own, but now not any more..

For MSFS at the beginning i did one 787-10 Paintjob in a Srilanken livery ( there wasen't one at this time ) and i see that much talented painters on Flightsim.to so there is no need for me doeing paintjobs, also the time to do this is some kind of problem, I prefer to use it for flying...

cheers 😉

• Like 1

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

rmeier: From Student to Master....in such a short span...impressive...🙂...Teaching is the best way to learn, IMO...

Painting, since FS9 days of dabbling around a bit...is now extinct for me...🙂...and likely will remain so...but your this effort will be helpful to some...I've read of such interest from a few regulars here...

And I appreciate the work of all repainters, they always seem quite knowledgeable about aviation ...and they think ahead of airlines and liveries long before I can...so, I'm thankful.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, P_7878 said:

From Student to Master....in such a short span...impressive...🙂

LOL...from George Bernard Shaw: "Those wo can do, those who can't teach."   🤣🤣🤣

Kidding aside...I put together the tutorial because I do know there are people who want to learn...just don't know where to start. There are numerous videos on YT...but the presentations tend to bounce around and move so quickly, that they're so hard to follow...even for someone like me! The format I put together is based on a powerpoint presentation and can easily be paused between slides...yes, the format is "boring", but, it is very much a step-by-step instructional with an active tutorial to follow along...and uses a very simple model/example to paint.

Again...do I expect everyone here to be interested in this?...nope. It's catered to the beginner wanting to learn how to paint...repaint 101.

So back to this post...do you have a movie/TV show to share that features the Downtown Manhatten Heliport?  😊

• Upvote 1

A good one from GB Shaw…🙂…rmeier..,

Regarding films, I recall the 2 films with “Wall Street” in the names However, a bit rusty with films these days, I was confusing the one with Michael Douglas…🙂…but I found, it was The Wolf of Wall Street, with Leonardo DiCaprio, which had a memorable scene with a NYC Helipad…but alas it was the 30th Street helipad, sorry...🙂

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 11:22 AM, rmeier said:

(I'll start...the 1999 remake of "The Thomas Crown Affair"...

rmeier:

After my failed recollection above... (you know, memory and reality are kind of becoming a bit hazy these days...🙂...) ...

First, I'd named the wrong one of the two Wall Street movies I'd seen, and second, it was the 30th Street Helipad not the Downtown Manhattan Heliport of your creation...So, close but no cigar...🙂... To make-up for it, I just watched "The Thomas Crown Affair"...Actually, I did recall the plot, but had to see it again...Coincidentally, I watched it on my Roku TV, the same one I use for my MSFS/Xbox ...🙂...

Now, we just need to place a "blue" Chopper instead of yellow over there, and two Plasticine (nice word borrowed from andy1252...🙂...) characters of Rene Russo and Pierce Brosnan on the deck... for realism...🙂... (btw, spoiler alert, for those who have not seen this film...the character that meets Rene Russo on this heliport is not who you think it is...🙂...)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, P_7878 said:

To make-up for it, I just watched "The Thomas Crown Affair"...Actually, I did recall the plot, but had to see it again...

...and bowler hats everywhere!

If you get a chance, and are interested, I'd recommend also seeing the original, 1968, version with Steve McQueen that Bernd mentioned above. Many similarities with the original...Faye Dunaway was also in the original...this time playing the Insurance Investigator, not Pierce Brosnan's therapist. Many lines were also taken verbatim from the original...as well as the academy award winning theme song "Windmills of Your Mind". The ending is not the same though...

• Upvote 1