Sign in to follow this  
rpowers

If I replace my old machine with new one?

I posted this in the hardware forum but will try here too.Sorry if this is inappropriate.:I keep wanting to finally upgrade to a new unit with all the good stuff.I hesitate because I dread having to reinstall all my FS stuff.If I do a complete backup copy to an external HD can I reinstall FS clean and then just copy my backup over the top and overwrite all the files etc I have changed?If so do I have to reinstall GEX,UTX etc or can I just copy these to the backup and copy them back to the new unit?I plan on having 2 internal HD's and my external for my backups.Keeping FS separate on 1 drive and all other programs on the main dr.Am I trying to make this too easy?Could the computer shop that will build the unit do this?Thanks for any advice.Ron any advice.

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

I just did this. It took me 3 days to get all my fs stuff reinstalled. It was amazing all the patches, serial numbers, reactivations I had to do. Not sure you can do it any other way but after 3 days back in business and it was well worth it!http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

I don't think anyone is going to tell you flat out that you can just backup your FSX folder and rewrite over a clean install of FSX on a new PC and expect it will fully work. Certain addons will require registry entries to perform correctly. If you just backup your FSX folder these entries will not be present and you will have problems.It is my opinion that the only sure fire and easy way to get FSX up and running correctly on your new PC is to install everything clean. This will we be simplest way to ensure you have a properly running FSX.

Thanks for the advice.Guess I'll eventually have to bite the bullet and go for it.Ron

Just a follow up.I understand the programs that were installed thru exe installations.But shouldn't I be able to just copy my add on scenery and add on AC that I insatlled directly to FSX?Also the FS Genesis mesh in the global scenery folder.Things I installed directly.Effects etc.?Thanks,Ron

Yes you can just copy your scenery and aircraft, other than the payware scenery and models, that require registration to use. You need to be sure you restore the gauge folder as well!! I just went through this myself. For your payware addons, you still will need to do reinstalls

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Thanks,It's all that little stuff that drove me crazy when my HD crashed a few years ago.Ron

Geofa,Are you running Vista?Itseems there are a lot of posts of big problems with Vista and FSX.Also would you post the specs of your new machine for reference?Thanks,Ron

Ron what sargeski said is spot on. Of course, you COULD theoretically just copy everything over...but then you would have to merge all of the registry information into the new registry.And that would be a major pain. Very tedious, and you might miss a registry key that was needed.In the end the least aggravating way of doing it would be to reinstall and reactivate everything.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Geofa,Did you see my post above? Geofa,Are you running Vista?Itseems there are a lot of posts of big problems with Vista and FSX.Also would you post the specs of your new machine for reference?Thanks,Ron

I am running Vista Ultimate now on a Intel 2 Duo E6750@2.66ghz, 4 gigs ram, 8800gt card.No problems at all-just a few of the dx10 graphic glitches and a few fps drop with dx10-I went back to dx9 as other than a little nicer water (which still looks very unrealistic to me-either version) there wasn't much change.http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

>I am running Vista Ultimate now on a Intel 2 Duo>E6750@2.66ghz, 4 gigs ram, 8800gt card.>Now you can run with some autogen, can't you! ;)RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

What's the latest on your blurry issues after switching to the large LCD display?Hoping to see a resolution of this before shelling out the big bucks for a 24" LCD.John