Sign in to follow this  
jmdriskell

MSFS Log Book Editor?

A quick search didn't bring up anything.  Does anyone know if it's possible to edit or improve the log book in MSFS.  I find the current system very poorly designed.

Thanks in advance,

• Like 1

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

It’s directly tied to earning achievements - that’s the only reason I can think of why no means to mod or alter it has ever come about since release and that it’s not stored locally

• Like 1

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Founder/Designer, MSE Airports

So it boils down to almost useless.  It doesn't track time correctly, especially on long flights and it keeps incomplete flights that may have been a test.  Too bad it's so poorly designed.  All the achievements in the world won't even buy you a cup of coffee.  Hopefully, 2024 will include a workable log book.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jmdriskell said:

So it boils down to almost useless.  It doesn't track time correctly, especially on long flights and it keeps incomplete flights that may have been a test.  Too bad it's so poorly designed.  All the achievements in the world won't even buy you a cup of coffee.  Hopefully, 2024 will include a workable log book.

I agree with you that the MSFS 2029 logbook is a disaster.  I spend a good deal of study time in new aircraft models, mostly payware, as they continue to add realism and depth.  Not something I need logged but it gives me no choice.  And no method to edit the logbook.  Do I hear "seconds" to my motion of "Microfsoft! I do not need your measurement of so-called accomplishments!"  In fact, subLogic created high success with that back in the early 1990's with their 50 "graded" flight assignments in their Flight Assignment:ATP simulation.  If Microsoft feels that is of so much value then at least create something equal of better than what was in place 30 years ago.  Same thing with ATC by the way.  Flight Assignment:ATP had much more realistic ATC back in the day.  

I took it on my own many many years ago, like 1988?  I have maintained my FS logbook in Microsoft Excel since then. Allowed me to compile flights in versions of MSFS; subLogic's Flight Assignment: ATP; Sierra Pro Pilot; Fly; and P3D.  I have tabs in my current Excel workbook for hours by type; hours per simulator version; airports visited; etc.  I highly recommend the approach.

image.thumb.png.d7db670d68c914ccda91cc53bffc0df6.png

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Yep.  Too bad some of the designers think every user is a gamer.  I keep a log of my DC-6 flights in Excel but I've lost most of my previous hours from FS2004, and two installs of FSX.  Oh well, it's only pretend.

Your log book is impressive.

• Like 1

Here's another approach if you want: 

https://fshub.io/

Or download Volanta from the Orbx website. Both moving maps with logbooks. 

PC: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite, AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 Super Aorus Master, DDR5 G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 2X32 GB, Corsair HX 1000, Fractal Torrent, Samsung LC32 / G7 1440P.

20 hours ago, fppilot said:

I agree with you that the MSFS 2029 logbook is a disaster.

How pessimistic of you - how can you be sure the logbook will be so bad 5 years from now?😜

For me, the logbook is just of passing interest to see what I've been flying recently. I'm sure there's lots which could be done to make it a more valuable resource.

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

2 hours ago, 109Sqn said:

How pessimistic of you - how can you be sure the logbook will be so bad 5 years from now?😜

For me, the logbook is just of passing interest to see what I've been flying recently. I'm sure there's lots which could be done to make it a more valuable resource.

Did I really write "2029"?  My bad.  Still it is what it is and I do not have great expectations for MSFS 2024.  Similar to my confidence on MSFS reporting in ATIS/AWOS of dew point, if you get my "point".  (catch my mesage footer)

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I've been using this app for months with no issues. I have 1100 hours in my logbook and I don't even use the in-game logbook view anymore.

The dev is very responsive too if you have any issues or questions.

FlightLog Analyzer - HomePage

• Like 1

Check out FlightLog Analyzer.  It provides enhanced viewing of the FS2020 logbook, far beyond what's in the built-in FS logbook viewer.  Not only does it view the logbook, but there is Editing to Remove Unwanted Flights, Fixing of flights that have incorrect Takeoff and Landing Counts, graphing of flight paths, Analysis functionality of flight data, and much more.
(https://flightloganalyzer.com/Demos/MainPage)

• Like 1