Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Camera confusion with JF 146 Professional

I have problem using different cameras. First I discovered that there are from start preset 'instrument views'. If I first select one of these I can cycle through them. But the captain seat is wrong it is placed to far front. This is not the same view as when the plane is first loaded up and I press space (I use VR but the problem also show in 2D). How do I edit an instrument view and then save it ?
First when in the startup view I can't cycle the instrument views. This is also the case if I load the captain view as a custom saved camera. How to best resolve this ? How do you do ?

Not sure if I understand completely, but I also have the issue that distance to flight instruments changes. Hence I zoom a lot using the mouse scroll wheel during flights. I’ve never learned how to save custom views (maybe someone can explain this). Also, I’ve removed the “change instruments views” from the hat switch on the side stick as I’m using that for elevator trim in this aircraft.

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

56 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Not sure if I understand completely, but I also have the issue that distance to flight instruments changes. Hence I zoom a lot using the mouse scroll wheel during flights. I’ve never learned how to save custom views (maybe someone can explain this). Also, I’ve removed the “change instruments views” from the hat switch on the side stick as I’m using that for elevator trim in this aircraft.

The incorrect captain view has my eyes placed in front of the instrument panel no zoom can help here. And I don't use zoom in VR. When first loading the plane and activate VR I first say space (voiceattack) and then move forward. Now that view is correct. But now I can't cycle the instrument views. I can activate a instrument view with an assigned button. And after that I can cycle the instrument views. But I never get to the initial view but instead a view with the camera in front of the instrument panel

1 hour ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I've never learned how to save custom views

I think this is what you want.

• Like 2

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, jfri said:

The incorrect captain view has my eyes placed in front of the instrument panel no zoom can help here. And I don't use zoom in VR. When first loading the plane and activate VR I first say space (voiceattack) and then move forward. Now that view is correct. But now I can't cycle the instrument views. I can activate a instrument view with an assigned button. And after that I can cycle the instrument views. But I never get to the initial view but instead a view with the camera in front of the instrument panel

Got it. That seems very inconvenient, having a view like that. Perhaps some other VR users have some input. 

28 minutes ago, 109Sqn said:

Wow, thanks. That's probably everything I wanted to know about custom views - and more 🙂

It seems I've got zoom set to 75 in Options > General > Camera. Got height and horizontal position set to default 50 though. 

I should probably start using custom views as I usually use at least two for each plane - one for takeoff-landings, and another "general" one where the most used instruments are in view. E.g. on the A320 I want to see all the way right to the APPR button on the FCU. As I don't want to zoom out to achieve this (then I have trouble reading the PFD), this means an angled view of the cockpit. In the 146 I want to see all the way right to ALT SEL on the autopilot panel. 

I'll spend some time trying to configure a couple of custom views, hopefully these can be saved on a per-aircraft basis. Luckily I've got a few unused controller buttons (I don't use the keyboard at all during flights). 

EDIT: 

Haha, can't believe I've been using the sim since aug '22 and never done this! Been doing all sorts of other over-complicated stuff, but not this. And it's so easy. Here's what I did: 

1. Saved a "VFR Pilot View" for my preferred default view and assigned "Reset Cockpit View" to the trigger button.
  2. Saved a custom view for takeoff/approach and assigned "load custom view 0" to another sidestick button. 

Yay 😄

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

15 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

In the MSFS keyboard controls, there are 10 custom views available.

You set the custom views by zooming/panning to the view you want, then press the key assigned to "SAVE CUSTOM CAMERAx" in the Controls -> Keyboard -> Camera -> Cockpit Camera menu.  The defaults are CTRL-ALT-0 through CTRL-ALT-9 (the numbers across the top of the keyboard, *not* the keypad digits).

To select a custom view that you have defined, you press the key assigned to "LOAD CUSTOM CAMERAx", the settings are also in the Controls -> Keyboard -> Camera -> Cockpit Camera menu.  The defaults are ALT-0 through ALT-9.

To select the default cockpit view, you press the key assigned to the "TOGGLE COCKPIT VIEW" command.  To select the default external view, you press the key assigned to the "TOGGLE EXTERNAL VIEW" command.

To set a custom default viewpoint for an aircraft, it's a bit of a process:

1.  I zoom/pan to the view I want in the sim, save the view using one of the custom view save commands per the procedure above, and then get out of MSFS. 

2.  In the cameras.cfg file located in the folder ...\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Simobjects\Airplanes\<acft name>, locate the CAMERADEFINITION.x section with the line Title="y", where y is the ordinal number of the camera view you saved.  For example, if you saved it using the default assignment for custom camera zero (CTRL-ALT-0), then you're looking for the section containing the line "Title="0".  Copy the values for InitialZoom, InitialXyz, and InitialPbh--these will be the values you assign to the aircraft's default view in its cameras.cfg file.  Note that all of the values are generally not on adjacent lines.

3.  If the aircraft you're modifying is a third-party add-on, find and make a backup copy of the cameras.cfg file in ...\Packages\Community\<aircraft folder>\SimObjects\Airplanes\<aircraft folder>
     If the acft is a default or Asobo add-on acft, the folder will be found in the ...\Packages\Official\ folder and varies depending on if you are using a Steam or MS Store version.

4.  In the cameras.cfg file, find the CAMERADEFINITIONS.X section that contains the line Title="Pilot" -- this is your default cockpit view.  Change the values in that section for InitialZoom, InitialXyz, and InitialPbh to the values you saved in step 2.  Your default cockpit view is now the same as the custom view you had saved.

Be aware that updates to third party acft may overwrite your changes, so save your cameras.cfg file once you get it dialed-in so you can restore it after any update overwrites it.

Also, the default external view should also be configurable this same way, by saving a view with a custom view save command and then pasting the settings into the CAMERASDEFINITION.X section with the line Title = "DEFAULT_CHASE".

• Like 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Posted (edited)

Thanks so much for the comprehensive explanation @Bob Scott! I'll spend some time digesting everything, especially the part about the cameras.cfg file. 

At the moment I'm very happy to have at least two different views in the Fenix which I can easily switch between using controller buttons. Since I've been zooming and panning around to achieve this for years, it'll probably take a while to get used to the new method 🙂

I've also got "next pilot position" assigned to the hat switch up/down on the TCA Airbus side stick by default (toggles between different instrument views). To be honest I rarely use it, as I find it easier to just pan and zoom around the cockpit. 

I just discovered another great thing: using the "cockpit quickview" left/right (left/right hat switch) will no longer reset the default cockpit view to something awkward - it just returns to the default view that I just configured. Happy days!

Changing the view with the mouse is still necessary when doing tricky approaches, but at least returning to the default view will no longer be such a hassle. 

Having some easily accessible views becomes so importance when not using VR / head tracking. So thanks to the OP - hopefully you get your issue resolved. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett

2 hours ago, 109Sqn said:

I tried those suggestion for a VFR view. Then if going to a instrument view and then going to this VFR view my position was ahead of what I set as VFR view. Not much but still in need to be corrected.

There is another side of this question. In real life you dont have camera positions set up. Actually when I first loaded this plane I only used the main view. And it was rather awkvard to see everything. Of course I suppose the flight officer would handle the controls on his side. But still on my side some things was a bit inconvenient. For example the rear part of the overhead panel. This was in VR

13 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Thanks so much for the comprehensive explanation @Bob Scott! I'll spend some time digesting everything, especially the part about the cameras.cfg file. 

At the moment I'm very happy to have at least two different views in the Fenix which I can easily switch between using controller buttons. Since I've been zooming and panning around to achieve this for years, it'll probably take a while to get used to the new method 🙂

I've also got "next pilot position" assigned to the hat switch up/down on the TCA Airbus side stick by default (toggles between different instrument views). To be honest I rarely use it, as I find it easier to just pan and zoom around the cockpit. 

I just discovered another great thing: using the "cockpit quickview" left/right (left/right hat switch) will no longer reset the default cockpit view to something awkward - it just returns to the default view that I just configured. Happy days!

Changing the view with the mouse is still necessary when doing tricky approaches, but at least returning to the default view will no longer be such a hassle. 

Having some easily accessible views becomes so importance when not using VR / head tracking. So thanks to the OP - hopefully you get your issue resolved. 

I use a Logitech G600 mouse designed for MMO gaming--it has 12 user-configurable buttons on the "thumb" side of the mouse, as well as a third main mouse button and a couple more on the top.  I programmed those buttons to bring up custom views, and the rightmost "main" button brings back my default cockpit view.  It's pretty convenient having a bunch of view presets right at my fingers.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

44 minutes ago, Bob Scott said:

I use a Logitech G600 mouse designed for MMO gaming--it has 12 user-configurable buttons on the "thumb" side of the mouse, as well as a third main mouse button and a couple more on the top.  I programmed those buttons to bring up custom views, and the rightmost "main" button brings back my default cockpit view.  It's pretty convenient having a bunch of view presets right at my fingers.

Agreed, very convenient. I have about 20 buttons on the TCA Airbus sidestick, a lot are unused. Today I assigned 5 custom views to some of these buttons in the 146. I'll probably do the same with every aircraft that I use regularly. Switching to the overhead panel or the FMS with a click is extremely convenient. 

And for the lazy ones i just changed the load camera options from ALT0-9 to just 0-9. It behaves simular to Chaseplane.

Michael Moe

• Like 2

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

4 hours ago, Michael Moe said:

And for the lazy ones i just changed the load camera options from ALT0-9 to just 0-9. It behaves simular to Chaseplane.

Michael Moe

Agreed, NUM Pad makes it so much easier!

i913900KF (5.8GHz) | Case: Fractal PopAir RGB I MSI Z790-VC | MSI Gaming RTX 4070Ti Super 16GB | Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 | SOLIDIGM P41 Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD | Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB | Thermalright Frozen Notte 240 MM Liquid Cooling | Samsung 41" Monitor 1920 x 1080 60Hz | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Logitech G Pro pedals | Tobii EyeTracker | 850W Thermaltake 80+ GOLD |