Sign in to follow this  
Chuck Dreier

P3Dv5 on the C: drive?

Posted (edited)

There’s one guy out there (YouTube) that says P3D should be installed on the C drive.  I’m doing a reinstall of version 5.3 and have always installed it to a dedicated SSD.  I wonder what some of you tech savvy folks think about this?

Edited by Chuck Dreier

I really don't think it makes any difference what drive it's installed on.  I've always installed FSX and P3Dv4-6 on my E drive and never had any issues.

Dave

• Like 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

21 minutes ago, Chuck Dreier said:

There’s one guy out there (YouTube) that says P3D should be installed on the C drive.

Any drive letter will do in reality.

The thing to avoid is the Windows "Program Files" path as it has limited NTFS permissions, e.g. designed for "Read Only" type of installs and managed by Windows itself.

So a good path would be something like C:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5 where the path will create to include the permissions of "Authenticated Users" - "Modify".

I have my installs spread across a number of drives (including a ram disk), with the main paths being H:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 & H:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5 as I have two version P3D releases installed.

Backup is via a RoboCopy script which pulls together 23 separate paths of various files onto a 4 TB backup drive that is rotated about once every month or so.

The itself script is run by the Windows Task Scheduler.

Hope the above helps 🙂

Cheers

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Agreed with Rogen above.

On the C drive isn't a bad thing at all, just don't let it install to it's default location. 

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I have my P3DV5 and most addons on my D drive and have two external SSD drives I use for backup storage as well as a lot of space consuming photo scenery linked via my scenery library. I keep those inactive unless I’m using them and I notice no performance penalties for having sceneries on a different drive and external at that. In fact just for fits and giggles I installed FSX/Steam on my Toshiba external SSD to see how that would work and seems to be fine. I use it to revisit that never equaled LVLD 767. So even your addons don’t have to be on the same drives.

Vic green

I put my P3D on an 8TB SSD I have in the pc. That way I can install anything I want on it. Also most of my photoreal and ORBX packages are there and this is making my sim comfortable. 

These guys on YouTube say a lot that is supposed to be true.

I decided for another drive, cause I want my OS separated from the application and data files. It makes it easier, if you want to move the sim one day to another SSD with more space. You can just copy the whole drive 1:1. 

Also the OS needs more and more space with time and it should have some headroom. If you install your sim and addons on the C drive, the space left will shrink with time when adding addons. One day you will probably ask here, how to move on a bigger ssd or how to move P3D on another drive.

Dan

• Like 1

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods