Sign in to follow this  
psolk

MSFS losing focus while in full screen

Wondering if anyone else is seeing this.  I will notice that the sim has suddenly turned into a stutter fest from time to time.  If I move my mouse I notice it is a bit larger than normal and not as crisp as normal.  When I click on MSFS (which is full screen BTW) it is like MSFS regains focus, the screen almost "pops" like it is refreshing, mouse becomes crisp and sharp and performance returns to stutter free with no issues.

So it is like something is stealing the MSFS focus despite it being full screen and it completely transparent in terms you never see the window focus change as an end user.  

Is this exclusive to me? 

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

11 minutes ago, psolk said:

Wondering if anyone else is seeing this.  I will notice that the sim has suddenly turned into a stutter fest from time to time.  If I move my mouse I notice it is a bit larger than normal and not as crisp as normal.  When I click on MSFS (which is full screen BTW) it is like MSFS regains focus, the screen almost "pops" like it is refreshing, mouse becomes crisp and sharp and performance returns to stutter free with no issues.

So it is like something is stealing the MSFS focus despite it being full screen and it completely transparent in terms you never see the window focus change as an end user.  

Is this exclusive to me? 

I have been suffering the same for almost 2 months, but this morning it was particularly annoying. I shut autofps off and didn't have it anymore.

I will try again later on, but it is good to know I am not the only one.

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU

Posted (edited)

no same here if I think what you are saying is like when fullscreen smooth butter and all off the sudden it looks like a other program is on the foreground resulting msfs not being the focus and FG is stuttering. this is when autofps is in use.

Edited by pilotter

Rig Specs; CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3d, GPU AMD Liquid Red Devil 7900XTX 24GB,  Memory 32GB 2x8 3000 CL30, WD-SN850 Black 500 GB, WD-SN850 Black  2TB, Asus MoBo X670E D Hero, Be Quit Straight power 1200 Watt platinum. 18 Noctua fans , Aquacomputer Octo tempsensores, yes I am a PC freak.

watercooled 2 x360 rads noctua's push pull EKWB blocks for GPU and CPU 

Screen LG 34GN850-B  with freesync premium     

Posted (edited)

Yes, we are seeing the same thing, I am not using AutoFPS though so I don't know that is the culprit... 

Holy cow, I mean this doesn't change me being crazy but at least I'm not alone LOL

Edited by psolk

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

24 minutes ago, psolk said:

Yes, we are seeing the same thing, I am not using AutoFPS though so I don't know that is the culprit... 

Holy cow, I mean this doesn't change me being crazy but at least I'm not alone LOL

I started noticing on climb or cruise level, after leaving the sim alone when I come back I normally find it half fps and the mouse pointer change to windows theme, after clicking in the screen Frame generation comes back to double fps and stutters are gone.

well, let's try to find the culprit:

Autofps: since you are not using it, then rule it out.

NVNGX files: 3.7.0 both non-FG and FG ( @psolk have you updated these 2?)

CapFrameX on?

RTSS cap?

• Like 1

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU

Just now, ttbq1 said:

I started noticing on climb or cruise level, after leaving the sim alone when I come back I normally find it half fps and the mouse pointer change to windows theme, after clicking in the screen Frame generation comes back to double fps and stutters are gone.

well, let's try to find the culprit:

Autofps: since you are not using it, then rule it out.

NVNGX files: 3.7.0 both non-FG and FG ( @psolk have you updated these 2?)

CapFrameX on?

RTSS cap?

Exact same behavior! 

Yep, maybe we can figure this out.

No AutoFPS

NVNGX are also 3.7.0 with FG hmmmmm

No CapFrameX

No  RTSS cap

Using PMDG 737-800 which means Tablet so connected to Simbrief

Ancillary apps:

ASFS

Spad.next

CLS (Brunner yoke SW)

AIG

OI4FS (Opencockpit modules)

Avlasoft EFB

Simshaker (Buttkicker)

WideServer on MSFS machine

ATC and Pac-X on client machine

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

There is a little tool http://www.happydroid.com/focus which will help you to identify the program or app that stole focus from msfs.  No installation, just run the .exe and it will monitor and display the program that is on focus. It is really helpful.

• Like 1

Ciao Michael

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, Palit RTX 4080 GameRock OC, 64GB Corsair DDR4 3600, MSI MAG X570S Tomahawk Max WiFi, LG C3 OLED 42" 4K Display, ViewSonic 16" Touchscreen.

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog + Pendular Rudder, Stream Deck XL, Tobii Eyetracker, TrackIR 5.

Windows 11 Pro 24H2 Insider Build

4 minutes ago, mwe_EDVK said:

There is a little tool http://www.happydroid.com/focus which will help you to identify the program or app that stole focus from msfs.  No installation, just run the .exe and it will monitor and display the program that is on focus. It is really helpful.

Thank you for this, I will load it on my next flight!  I am already at cruise and same as @ttbq1 it seems to always happen to me at some point during the climb or at least I seem to always catch it during the climb. 

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

10 minutes ago, psolk said:

Thank you for this, I will load it on my next flight!  I am already at cruise and same as @ttbq1 it seems to always happen to me at some point during the climb or at least I seem to always catch it during the climb. 

I can confirm the same! on climb out. 

Rig Specs; CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3d, GPU AMD Liquid Red Devil 7900XTX 24GB,  Memory 32GB 2x8 3000 CL30, WD-SN850 Black 500 GB, WD-SN850 Black  2TB, Asus MoBo X670E D Hero, Be Quit Straight power 1200 Watt platinum. 18 Noctua fans , Aquacomputer Octo tempsensores, yes I am a PC freak.

Posted (edited)

One other thing to add is prior to this I could activate GSX at departure and landing by hitting ctrl+shft+F12, now when I get to my arrival I have to go to the toolbar and manually click GSX to get the menu back.  Just an observation

Edited by psolk

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

2 hours ago, psolk said:

Exact same behavior! 

Yep, maybe we can figure this out.

NVNGX are also 3.7.0 with FG hmmmmm (same here)

Using PMDG 737-800 which means Tablet so connected to Simbrief (it happened today flying the Duke, so not related to the PMDG)

Ancillary apps:

ASFS (Todays flight I was not using ASFS)

Spad.next (Also here)

CLS (Brunner yoke SW) (not here)

AIG (Today I was using FSLTL with AIG Models)

OI4FS (Opencockpit modules)

Avlasoft EFB

Simshaker (Buttkicker)

WideServer on MSFS machine

ATC and Pac-X on client machine

@psolk I will try a flight with the empty community folder. let' see

• Like 1

Ramon De Valencia

Posted (edited)

COAUTL was the culprit on my end.  I caught it with the focus application that @mwe_EDVK shared earlier.  I also commented earlier that for some reason I was having to re-activate GSX via the toolbar upon arrival whereas in the past I would just have to use the GSX hotkey ctrl+shft+F12 when I landed.  

Sure enough when MSFS lost focus COAUTL ran for some reason and on a whim I checked the toolbar and that was the moment it de-activated itself as well.  

So it appears to be GSX unloading and stealing the focus from MSFS although it is not visible to the end user, MSFS just becomes a stutter fest and clicking on the MSFS (window,) I say window but it is full screen so just clicking on the screen restores performance.  @virtuali was there a change to GSX where it unloads itself at some point in one of the recent updates or is this unexpected behavior? 

Edited by psolk

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Oh yes, I observed it, too.

• Like 1

cheers,
NiIs U.

AMD 5800X3D | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz | RTX 4070 12GB @ 1920x1050px

yes that's the same for me with GSX coautl .....

• Like 1

Whenever MSFS is not in focus, both FG (fps halved) and g-sync (tearing) are inactive. I sometimes notice terrible stutters as if something is stealing the focus from the sim. Alt-Enter has solved it every time.

Also, with AutoFPS’ “on top” feature, FG will be active, but g-sync not. According to my experience.

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”