Sign in to follow this  
I132

TrackIR4 users ...

> I>just wish they would look into it and see if they can remove>the X axis limitation.>> I believe it is an FSX issue and as there are no further updates being developed for FSX you will have to wait for FS11 and hope really loud.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

I hve the TrackIR for a couple of years. I wouldn't fly without it. I don't turn it off , but I have mapped the pause (F9) to the keyboard spacebar and when I need to adjust a gauge,I focus on the gauge, hit the space bar to freeze the view, make the adjustment and hit the space bar again to unpause it.My only problem using the unit is that I wear bifocals and they are very difficult to use with the TracIR. I solved the problem by buying a cheap pair of single vision reading glasses and the problem was resolved.

Guest Stoopy

>Well, we've now heard a lot of praise for this product, I'd>also like to hear from anybody that has had problems with the>unit, whether they returned it for a refund or repair or if>they just didn't find it useful for them. Unless of course>nobody like that exists.OK if you need to hear something negative then I have found that after a long flight, I'm more mentally worn out than I was without it. Essentially because of the VERY much increased immersion level, I am far more involved and aware during the whole flight and when I land and shut down, I have the same feeling I've had when stepping away from the front seat of a real plane after a flight, which is a bit drained and with my head still in the clouds somewhat.For taxiing in taildraggers it's outstanding, being able to sit up high in your seat and peek over the nose, or off to the side to look around the nose, as you would in real life.I use it in FSX, FS9 and IL2 1946, and really have found no difference in how it works AT ALL between FS9 and FSX. Don't know what some of you here are talking about - if I find that the eyepoint doesn't exactly tickle my fancy - and this happens in either sim - my solution is to sit slightly higher or lower and press F12 to re-center TrackIR so that when I straighten back out the eyepoint is right where I want it. If I want the eyepoint higher, I scrunch down a little bit, hit F12, then sit up normally and there I am. Takes half a second for crying out loud, big whoop.For further disparaging remarks (if possible) IL2's implementation isn't quite as nice because it doesn't use the depth of field for zoom-in and zoom-out, or the head tilt or the side-to-side (lateral)or up-down (height) axis...but left/right/up/down works great and I agree fully with L1thium that there's nothing better for hanging on the tail of a Zeke or lining up an SBD in a steep dive.And that's probably the most telling part....if you fly GA or bush or combat or anything requiring a modicum of activity, it's great....but if you fly airliners then save your money, as it will not add anything to the already-exciting thrill of pushing the autopilot button at 30,000 feet.

C'mon guys...learn to use it!You can easily move ALL THE WAY over to the co-pilot's seat with the TIR running in FSX. Then move ALL THE WAY BACK to the pilot's seat the same way.1. Use one of your joystick/yoke buttons for the "Center View" key command option in TIR.2. Now, if you are sitting in the PILOT'S seat and want to move over to the CO-PILOT'S seat, just "slide your head" horizontally to the LEFT...that's correct...the LEFT...until your view is positioned left of the Pilot's seat (still looking forward...this may place your view outside the aircraft depending on the aircraft). While there, use the "Center View" option on your yoke/joystick. Your view will now be BACK sitting in the Pilot's seat.3. Now when you move your head back horizontally to the RIGHT to where you started, you will magically get re-positioned in the co-pilot's seat. Yeah...I know...it will take a couple "experiments" per aircraft to determine how far you initially have to "move left" to get you positioned centered in the co-pilot's seat when you move back right...but it is easy to do after a couple trial and errors. 4. Repeat above...in the OPPOSITE directions...to get back in the pilot's seat. Or better yet...just hit the "Center View" button again.Works like a charm.

Rick Ryan

Guest SkullxBones

I tried this when I first got it, it doesn't work for me. I'm running SP1. I still run into an invisible wall right in the middle of the cockpit that I can't get beyond. Besides, even if it did work, it's not natural to have to reset it back and forth. You should be able to slide as far right as you can until the infrared sensor can't pick you up anymore.

>I tried this when I first got it, it doesn't work for me. I'm>running SP1. I still run into an invisible wall right in the>middle of the cockpit that I can't get beyond. >>Besides, even if it did work, it's not natural to have to>reset it back and forth. You should be able to slide as far>right as you can until the infrared sensor can't pick you up>anymore. >>"Invisible wall"? Which aircraft? I've never encountered that. If it is on all the VCs you are using, it is a setup problem in TIR.And you CAN "slide as far as you want"...IF the settings for the TIR are set "correctly". Have you used the configuration options to adjust how far your view changes based on your head movements? There are separate settings you can adjust for Roll, Pitch, and Yaw for your head movements. You could make the view move all the way across the cockpit left to right with a head movement of only an inch or two, or require a head movement laterally that would reach the limits of the IR tracking device.I really don't understand why you are having the problems you say you are. The TIR works perfectly if it is configured correctly. And it is highly configurable to satisfy whatever "range" of head movements you should ever want. With the "enable/disable TIR" function mapped to a button on your yoke/joystick, it is easy to move to anywhere on the VC panel, click the button to "freeze" the display (so you can use your mouse to set a panel instrument without the panel "moving on you", etc), then "unfreeze" the display again and return to your original view when you move your head back.Something isn't configured correctly.

Rick Ryan

Interesting! We who insist on realism are disappointed we can't slide from the pilot's seat to the copilot's seat while we're flying. Ummmmm! Try to do that in a real airplane.

AMD 3800X, Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT, AS Rock X570 Phantom Gaming 4, 32mb 3600 ram

Guest SkullxBones

>Interesting! We who insist on realism are disappointed we>can't slide from the pilot's seat to the copilot's seat while>we're flying. Ummmmm! Try to do that in a real airplane. (loop_n_roll)I'll explain it again. In the real world, I could easily adjust anything on the panel from the pilots seat in small planes. With TrackIR, I can't. I need to slide over more to be able to reach the knobs on the co-pilots side or the overhead on some planes. It's not sliding over to sit in the co-pilots seat, it's sliding my view over far enough so you can reach the controls over there, which requires my head postition to be more on the co-pilots side than the pilots. My butt is still firmly in the pilots seat!>Something isn't configured correctly. (FalconAF)This could be, and if so, I'd sure like to know how you are doing it. I know some others have the same problem I do, and said you could move more in FS9 than you can in FSX. When I asked the guys at TrackIR, they said it was a limitation with FSX, not their software. I had tried all kinds of settings within the profile manager but nothing has worked. The invisible wall I was talking about is in every aircraft. It stops my lateral movement right in the middle of the aircraft. Here is what I posted a while back on the TrackIR forums. Can you try this and let me know if yours reacts differently. >Start FSX, choose the C172. Go to Virtual cockpit, center your>TrackIR. Now keep looking straight ahead, don't look to the side. Now>slide your head to the right, while still looking straight ahead. You>will noticed that your virtual head movement stops in the center of>the cockpit, at the radio stack. That's the limitation I am talking>about.>Also, try this. Start TrackIR software, go to profile tab, click the>edit button. Now check all three boxes, heads, gauges, tracking.>Center your TrackIR, now keeping your sight line straight ahead,>slide your head to the right, and watch the heads window. You will>see the virtual head on the right side stop, but in the Tracking>window, the sensor is still seeing the three green dots moving>sideways. What version FSX are you using? I'm still using SP1, wonder if something changed in SP2.

Guest S1mPilot

Just thought I'd add a suggestion. Map the TIR pause key to your mouse wheel button depress. Makes mousing in the VC easier.If you bring up TIR's gauges you will notice that axis X is associated with sliding your head left or right. Use the guages to tune the various axis in order to obtain full motion for each profile.For those finding it difficult to become accustomed to TIR, you will obtain best results if you tune your axis, set a proper deadzone, and minimize any light interference.