Sign in to follow this  
aerdt

Why!?

Please don't take this wrong, i just have to vent my emotions a bit.Why does Helge stop making FSNavigator?He didn't say anything about it, not here, not on his own forum, nowhere.It's his good right to say nothing at all, but he leaves us (me) feeling...i don't know.....unsatisfied, and that is my good right and natural feeling.In my opinion FSNavigator was the best utility ever made for FS. And now he stops and he says nothing about it at all.I mean, does he maybe need help with the fsx version but is afraid to ask? Who knows? Maybe it's just something small like that? I mean, i can accept the fact that there isn't gonna be a new version, it's hard, but i can accept that, but please..........say something about it!!!!!!! Give us some disclosure!!!!He can make it so much easier for us (me) to accept this if he only explains the reason(s) why, but he just doesn't. Well, frankly, i just feel a bit angry about this, disappearing without a word.And the source code? Does he take that with him?I'm sorry Helge, if you read this, but please say something!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It's his decision, his property and copyright. There hasn't been any updates to FS Nav is quite some time and it was just a matter of time until the project got shut down for good. Personally, I think that the code got sold and that the development may be picked up by someone else that we're not aware of yet. It would be incredibly short-sighted to just retire the code, because there seems to be quite a bit of (unexplained?) demand for FS Navigator.Personally, I really don't understand all the excitement about FS Nav. It didn't do much for me as a flight planner and it was just "okay" as a moving map, although I preferred FS Flight Keeper as a moving map solution and FlightSim Commander as planner/moving map. As a pure planner FS Build has yet to be beaten in the amount of versatility and functionality.There are quite a few exciting projects on the horizon, including some flight planners and FS Map from the developer of Flightkeeper.Pat

>I'm not sure why you seem to think it is any of our>business.I do not think it is any of my business. Of course it is his full right to go any which way he likes with FSNAV. I just try to translate my deep down feeling about this. It's only natural. When someone, with whom you had a very good conversation during a party, leaves the party without saying goodbey to you, it's that persons business to say nothing at all, of course, but it still will make you feel...ehm, bad.

Please don't think the developer has just left simmers "high and dry". There could be lot's of reasons why he quickly stopped the software. Real-world issues, money problems, health.I know a developer of a very well-known product who seemed to simply vanish from the earth (well, the simming world). Posts on his support forum got quite ugly. It was only discovered several months later that he was near death in the hospital with a life threatening illness. Boy, did that turn a few faces red with embarrassment (and rightly so).

I think the reply was meant for the OP.In regards to FS Nav, I don't think the developer left high and dry and also hasn't left quickly. He's done the right thing and at least announced the discontinuation - unlike some other higher profile developer out there that recently and silently closed up shop without any explanation about supports status, product backups, downloads, etc.Pat