Sign in to follow this  
jordanal

Heres a Strange One For Ya....

Guest V4DIV-CVN-70

Was flying to KCLT from KCHS in the Super 80 (f1) when ATC told me that I would be landing on runway 1L at charlotte.....Uh thats a grass strip......ANy Ideas?

Guest fsxmissionguy

Buckle up and stow the drink cart.

Guest Nils79

Do you use any custom airport files?

Guest ziporama

Bush flying the Maddog are we? You may have some odd scenery installed. This said, the fact ATC sends you to a grass strip is interesting by itself.I'd recommend you load up the scenery with an editor (example, http://www.airportdesigneditor.co.uk/), that should provide a good insight as to what file may be causing the problem (if a scenery issue).Etienne

If you check the ATIS, you will probably see a bunch of runways you didn't think existed at CLT. Try unchecking MyTrafficX in your scenery library after that and see if the problem still exists.If it goes away, you may want to head over to their forum and see if it isn't an AFCAD issue for that particular airport in MyTrafficX.

Your obviously have an addon airport data file - called AFCAD in FS2004.There is a technique we use to fool FS into thinking non-parallel runways are parallel.This X-Rwy or Crosswind technique requires that many very small/ short closed runways be placed in the XML code under the airport header and they be separated by no more than 7.9 degrees of heading.Many people have built airports under the old initial ideas of how to make these runways work and put them too close to the airport. I locate all of mine above 75N or below 75S depending upon whether or not the airport is above/below the equator.One problem with having these short runways within 100 miles of the airport is that if an aircraft is on the exact heading as one of the fake runways when the approach is assigned - it will be assigned to the fake runway - which sounds like what happened to you.Second, separate item - you can, and frequently should, decline the first approach the ATC assigns to your user aircraft. Tell the ATC to standby, then select the approach you want, ask the ATC for that approach, then request the runway for that approach.If the ATC would assign you to IL, you could definitely have asked for 36L.

Well, now that we have the explanation......I must ask, did you pull off the landing of the MD-80 on the grass strip? Or did you request a different runway?RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

lol if you do pull off the grass landing, make sure you make a vid of it and stash it on youtube! :)

Guest V4DIV-CVN-70

Well, No I flat ignored ATC looked around the airspace and landed 36L, Theny told me to come ti the FAA building behind the tower once I completed my post flight checklist and to bring my supervisor with me..... *grin*Thanks for All the help.

Remind me to get off the tarmac when you're coming back to KCHS! :-wedge

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE