Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nick_N

GEX + UTX = Something Not Right

See attached screen shot. I have loaded GEXen + UTX + FSG Landclass. My rig is shwon below. The screenshot was taken at 4,000 ft but still looks like the default FSX. My Autogen is at Minimum.Guess I need some guidance. :-hmmm

Guest Nick_N

SteveYour system is rendering very blurryIt looks to me like your system is just having a BEAR of a time rendering sharp textures and its not a GEX or UTX issue. I can't tell what textures are showing because of the blur. Can you pause the sim and let it catch up so it sharpens the texturesPause it and wait a few minutes without panning or changing the view, then grab another snag and let see if there is a difference.I am off to bed but will check back to see tomorrow

Hi Steve,It could be that your scenery library (hence .cfg) is not in proper order and that is causing your problem. Your scenery library contains a list of all the scenery, terrain mesh, landclass and third party addons and is reflected in the scenery.cfg. Check to make sure that all the scenery areas are numbered consecutively from top to bottom. Secondly you could try deleting the 3 scenery.cfg's and restart FSX. This will rebuild your .cfg, making sure that you save a backup copy of your .cfg found in the root FSX folder. You may want to try and delete your FSX.cfg file (of course making note of your settings first) restart FSX, which rebuilds your .cfg, adjust your settings then restart FSX.From what I have seen Nick N has been a great help with issues arising from GEX and he has posted a great deal of additional information aside from GEX with regards to nHancer settings, video card settings etc... and he seems to know his stuff!Best of luck to you, I am sure you will be up and running soon with amazing results.

\Robert Hamlich/

The blurries as I've shown are probably the result of my moving around quite rapidly in the spot view. Some of the texture tiles would show up crisp and correct and some wouldn't. Rubberneckin' :7 I'll take a look at my scenery library tonight but I have only added GEXen + UTX + FSG Landclass. I did make a change to my TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD= number after my flight. I found that I had it set at 1024 so I have reset it to 512. I'll try another flight tonight.I'll also take a look at the scenery.cfg file. You mention three (3) such files? Where are the other 2? The screenshot was taken at about 40 miles due east of Kansas City at 4,000 ft. I did take another test flight out of Ft. Lauderdale night before last. Everything there looked great. Of course, there was no snow on the ground.I'm presently at work so I can't do anything until after dinner tonight. Thanks for the help!

"I did make a change to my TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD= number after my flight. I found that I had it set at 1024 so I have reset it to 512."There is no need to EVER change this number from within the .cfg file.It's controlled with the global max texture slider from within FSX UI.'Massive' = 1024

Did you have that blurred effect before loading GEX/UTX/FSG l/c ?Pierre

Pierre

System Specs: P4/2.8Ghz 533 FSB Intel D845PESVL MoBo2 Gb PC2700-DDR333 SDRAM250 & 80Gb HDs 7,200 rpmPNY GeForce 7600GS 512Mb DDR2 w/169.21 WHQL DriversAudigy 2ZSFS9.1 & FSX SP2WindowsXP-Home(SP2) DirectX 9.0cI have to say, these are minimal specs for FSX. What is your Texture_Bandwidth_Mult? Your system is probably going to need a high one like over 250.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

and there it is, the system just isn't up to scratch.Especially the single core CPU combined with the slow RAM and low video bandwidth are giving you trouble.The GPU itself is good enough (I'm using the same one with only very occasional blurries) but it will be AGP mounted and simply can't accept data fast enough to render things nicely.

Guest Nick_N

Hi Stevethe scenery.cfg should be OK with the exception of a possible error in 3rd party landclass that is not UTX.. ie; Scenerytech LC, FSGenesis USA LCJust make sure its listed as shown with UTX in the scenery list:UTX ENTRIES:UT LANDCLASS - UrbanLANDCLASS X :)

I was attempting to save some cash so I did a minimum upgrade to my current PC. Went to 2.8Ghz from 2.4 and added RAM to max it out at 2Gb.I figure it will cost me around $1,300 or so to go to a dual or quad core and motherboard + a 8800GT PCIexpress video card & 2 Gb of PC2 8500 SDRAM. That upgrade will have to wait until next fall. For now it is what it is.Still, I'm getting a good non-stuttering 10 fps plus over south Florida so all is not bad. Before my minor upgrade and a complete reinstallation of FSX + SP1 + SP2 I was only getting around 6 fpr on the ground at FLL.

Nick, I'm confused about Landclass. Does UTX or GEX have their own landclass? If so, I shouldn't have bought the FSGenesis Landclass I guess. I have disabled the default Landclass but if there are conflicts between the FSG & GEX/UTX Landclasses that could be the problem. I will disable the FSG landclass and take another flight tonight. I will report back here the results. If there continues to be problems, I will head over the the GEX forum. However, before I downloaded UTX I had no problems or complaints. Thanks.

Guest Nick_N

OK, this is how it worksUTX has its own landclass design in the product and that is how it does part of its job... GEX is only textures, no landclassUTX does not cover 'everything' and the additional lanclass products take over where UTX does not coverSo it is best to HAVE the others ( I use 3) and place them in the config file as I show above, and, enable ONE of them to work WITH UTXUnderstand?So you did the right thing with FSG... LC products are made different... where FSG may show an area wrong.. SceneryTech may do a better job, so, by unchecking FSG and checking ST in the scenery database, I can switch to a different LC and the area may be rendered completely different.. as in a small town now shows where with FSG it did not, or.. visa-versa sometime ST does not do a good job and FSG renders an area better.Now, UTX pretty much covers the major urban areas but the other LC products cover where UTX may not, like in the boonies or just outside large cities, etcunderstand?here is a huge thread that explains Landclass, how it is used and why.. and there is a lot of good information in it about LChttp://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=24965Get a good sharp image for me and we can look at it from there.I think what is happeing here is you need to TUNE UTX for your system and because your system is a bit slow, you need to dive into the UTX settings and work them for your system... Like Sesquashtoo did. He worked the UTX settings in the configuration tool and was able to clear the blur and other problems.The major road night lighting is a hard hit... disable all the night lighting features for now would be the first move.

Thanks, Nick. I understand now how the landclass works. I'll get you a good image (from Florida -- no snow) after I disable the major road night lighting (I did have it enabled).I will place the FSG landclass as you've shown above. I printed out the thread where you went over the set up with Sesquashtoo so I'll begin working on that, too. Thanks again for the help.