Sign in to follow this  
Vuong

For Nick: O&O Defrag Question

Nick, I downloaded O&O Defrag v8.5 as you suggested and really like it. I want to register & buy it. However, when I click on the Register Now button I get sent to a O&O v10 registration. Will the v10 registration work for v8.5 or will it send me an upgrade to v10? And, BTW $44.95 seems a little high but may well be worth it for what it's done above and beyond XPs meager defrag program.

>Nick, > I downloaded O&O Defrag v8.5 as you suggested and really>like it. I want to register & buy it. However, when I click>on the Register Now button I get sent to a O&O v10>registration. Will the v10 registration work for v8.5 or will>it send me an upgrade to v10? And, BTW $44.95 seems a little>high but may well be worth it for what it's done above and>beyond XPs meager defrag program. I too downloaded and used the 8.5 version that Nick suggested, then went to buy it, and only version 10 was listed. I bought it, thinking that I could use the "key" for it, for v8.5. Well, it didn't work. It took 4 emails from me to the O&O defrag team to convince them that v10 is NOT what I wanted, or needed, and had to explain why. (with NickN's help) Last Friday I was FINALLY sent a "key" for v8PRO which worked for v8.5. Now all is well. Again, I would have not pursued this quest to get the "key" for v8.5 if it weren't for Nicks help. Thank you NickN, just trying to pass along what you did for me.Best Regards Steve, Good luck and don't give up.Norm Owings

Guest Nick_N

Yes Steve apparently you will need to pursue it with emails.. they will send you a key but they may ask why before they doI think they got hit with 8.5 requests and have started trying to tone down the 8.5 use since they sell v10 at this point.Just tell them v10 does not compact the data/clusters the same way as 8.5 and you need a key for that version, and, that version 10 will not work for you.Let me know if they give you any problem and I will give you email responses to get them to give up the keyLOLHere, use this one. We may as well try to make a point and hit them with the same one over and over... I would like to purchase O&O 8.5 instead of v10.When O&O version 10 runs a COMPLETENAME defrag it leave space in the sectors between the files and does not compact them closely together. That is fine, however if a SPACE defrag is run for any reason it fills in those gaps left by the COMPLETENAME defrag and makes the original defrag, uselessO&O v8 and 8.5 COMPLETENAME defrag compacts the space between the files and therefore a SPACE defrag run as regular maintenance does not hinder or remove the advantages of a COMPLETENAME defrag.Also, by allowing free space to exist in sectors between files as the v10 NAME defrag allows, it lets a hard drive fragment faster by letting that free space fill up. Caches that are simply temp areas take up space in the critical file zone instead of collecting at the end of the data block, etc.The fact that the slack sector space is present in version 10 makes the title useless for my needs. I prefer version 8.5 which functions within the specifications I require.Please let me know how I may a purchase a key for version 8.5 as it is the only version I wish to use.

Hi Nick, I just did a monthly (after reinstalling FSX and gear...) Complete/Name and then offline defrag. I must say that by using v8.5, my XPsp2 screams along. I will be buying v8.5 too, and so captured your 'stock' email send. You should really stick your XPsp2 Tune-Up as a sticky in the Hardware Forum. Speaking for myself, and probably a thousand or so, it REALLY worked like nothing else tried to date!BTW, In searching for O & O, I just came across a freeware O&O called O&O 'lite' that can integrate and replace the standard XP defrag in windows. Have you seen this? I have not tried it yet, but merely have downloaded to my desktop. It is called: O&O 'lite'. I'm still intend to buy v8.5 but still ask if you have seen this piece of software?Thanks again for the post!:)Mitch

>>Nick, >> I downloaded O&O Defrag v8.5 as you suggested and really>>like it. I want to register & buy it. However, when I>click>>on the Register Now button I get sent to a O&O v10>>registration. Will the v10 registration work for v8.5 or>will>>it send me an upgrade to v10? And, BTW $44.95 seems a>little>>high but may well be worth it for what it's done above and>>beyond XPs meager defrag program.> I too downloaded and used the 8.5 version that Nick>suggested, then went to buy it, and only version 10 was>listed. I bought it, thinking that I could use the "key" for>it, for v8.5. Well, it didn't work. It took 4 emails from me>to the O&O defrag team to convince them that v10 is NOT what I>wanted, or needed, and had to explain why. (with NickN's help)>Last Friday I was FINALLY sent a "key" for v8PRO which worked>for v8.5. Now all is well. Again, I would have not pursued>this quest to get the "key" for v8.5 if it weren't for Nicks>help. Thank you NickN, just trying to pass along what you did>for me.>>Best Regards Steve, Good luck and don't give up.>>Norm Owings------------------------------------Norm, if you first sent an email to them, (Nick's Stock) BEFORE you actually purchased, and got somebody live, do you then think that you could just send them the funds---money order or C.C., and they would send you a key for v8.5 back through email, instead of getting a v.10 key, and then having to mish-mash with them through 3 or 4 emails, etc? What do you think, by actually having gone through the 'mash'...?Mitch

Nick,Thanks for the letter template. I have already sent mine to O&O and will let you know how it goes.I want to let you know that I have recovered/rebuilt my system after encountering the Dell/SP1a defrag disaster that rendered my HD unbootable. I followed all of you tips but, as expected, the MFT was damaged and so I ditched my SATA 2 RAID 0 array (with SCSI controller) in favor of a new/single/bigger SATA 2 drive. The new drive is faster and quiter than my old array.I used the slipstream procedure you pointed out to make a new bootable CD-ROM that upgrades my old Dell CD to add all of the new/recent SP2 stuff from MS. My old Nero 5 was able to create the new disk and the installation of XP2 on my new (no Dell partition) drive was uneventful. After reinstalling FSX and FSX/SP2 I rebuilt my mesh, landclass, Ultimate Traffic, Ultimate Terrain, FEX and GEXen stuff. It was working pretty good already. Then I did you tuneup procedure on the new boot and FSX partitions and things begab to look fabulous indeed. I have also used your nHancer settings for my nVidia 7600GT to good effect.Anyway, the final result is truly excellent and I want to thank you again for sharing your time and expertise. I am now looking forward to GEX Europe and finally doing some serious flying instead of complaining about FSX blurries et al.Todd

Ok, I just sent your v8.5 email to O&O asking for a key for when I purchase. I'll see where that gets me. :)Mitch

Guest Nick_N

Told ya that motherboard RAID drives are BS in FSXIn FSX RAID0 will kill FS performance unless its professional RAID.. and I mean a card on the PCIe 4-8x port.. not some cheap PCI card either.I am VERY sorry you went through the O&O/DELL issue but I am glad you have now upgraded and enjoying the results

>Norm, if you first sent an email to them, (Nick's Stock)>BEFORE you actually purchased, and got somebody live, do you>then think that you could just send them the funds---money>order or C.C., and they would send you a key for v8.5 back>through email, instead of getting a v.10 key, and then having>to mish-mash with them through 3 or 4 emails, etc? What do you>think, by actually having gone through the 'mash'...?>>Mitch>Well, the way I see it, once the money was spent, the O&O team could either give me what I was asking for, OR give me my money back!:-lol Its easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission...I thought that it was strange that even after I explained why in the 2nd email, they replied with a "oh is that right?" as if to say I was loosing my mind. So I asked Nick for advise, and he spelled out the difference between the two versions for me, to which I simply copied and pasted in a reply to them....WTH, here is a copy of the emails:#1Dear Mr Owings,thank you for your email. There are no changes in the functionality between O&O Defrag 8 and O&O Defrag 10. What exactly do you miss?Best regards / Mit freundlichen Gruessen--Brigitte NillO&O Software GmbH - Creating Solutions!http://www.oo-software.com/MY REPLY:Hi Brigitte> > When O&O version 10 runs a COMPLETENAME defrag it leaves a space in the sectors between the files and does not compact them closely together. Thatis fine, however if a SPACE defrag is run for any reason it fills in those gaps left by the COMPLETENAME defrag and makes the original defrag, useless> O&O v8 and 8.5 COMPLETENAME defrag compacts the space between the files and therefore a SPACE defrag run as regular maintenance does not hinder or remove the advantages of a COMPLETENAME defrag.> Also, by allowing free space to exist in sectors between files as the v10 NAME defrag allows, it lets a hard drive fragment faster by letting that free space fill up. Caches that are simply temp areas take up space in the critical file zone instead of collecting at the end of the data block, etc. > The fact that the slack sector space is present in version 10 makes the title useless for my needs. I prefer version 8.5 which functions within the specifications I require.> > E.N.OwingsTHEIR TURN...:Dear Norm,I've spoken with our development department and the colleagues are quite surprised because there was nothing changed on the engine that could cause this problem. Anyways, if you prefer O&O Defrag 8 instead of the current version I will send you a downgrade key. Just give feedback.Best regards / Mit freundlichen Gruessen--Brigitte NillO&O Software GmbH - Creating Solutions!http://www.oo-software.com/mY REPLY:Hi Brigitte,> > > > Please have your development department run a full COMPLETENAME defrag on a drive with version 10. Once it is complete, ask them to look at the sectors using the CLUSTER INSPECTOR, simply click on any data area that holds the files on the hard drive. Make sure it is not the MFT, PAGE FILE or other and they are in fact looking at the data on the drive. > They will notice EMPTY sectors being placed between in the files in sequence. > That does not happen with O&O 8 or 8.5 and there is no EMPTY space between the files. They are in fact compacted together.> If the SPACE defrag is run with version 10 after a COMPLETENAME defrag, those EMPTY areas will FILL with random, non sequential data, effectively destroying the benefit of the NAME defrag. > > > Please send a key for version 8.5. > > Thank you for your assistance.> > Best Regards,> > Norm OwingsAND FINALLY:Dear Earl,thank you so much for your email and your information.We permit us to give your information to our test dept.Following this email you get another with your registration informationof Defrag 8.Best regards, / Mit freundlichen Gruessen-- Kerstin PiwellekTeam AssistantO&O Software GmbH - Creating Solutions!http://www.oo-software.com/ YES, I took the liberty of editing what NickN said, just a little!:-beerchug I thought that "FILL with random, non sequential data" was a nice little touch. (even though I have no idea if that is in deed a fact...:-doh ) :-lol Thanks again Nick. Everyone hang in there.

Guest Nick_N

LOL!!Now THATS using your noodle!See, thats why I dont just post a DO THIS listI add WHY which not only gets you the results.. but you get to learn WHY at the same time and when situations come up you can apply that knowledge to get the result you are after... be it a performance question, or to cut through the BS at O&O and get your key.If they really believed v10 was exactly the same engine and performed the same task, and v8-8.5 was not needed, you would not be getting any key and they would completely pull support for the other versions.Your not the first to send them that information and the funny thing is I have personally discussed the changes with their engineering department so there are no surprises to them about the design involved, other than the rep doing what they are told.:)

Guest Nick_N

If O&O Lite worked.. I would have posted itRead the last line in my list and all the questions you may EVER have about using other tools and going past my list with other tweaks will become quite clear.

Hello Earl,I also sent Nick's Form Email, and asked if there would be a problem in sending me a key for v8.5 The only other question..is..if they FIX v10 and then it performs as well, or possibly even better than v8.5, could one ask for an upgrade key to start using the v10 version that hopefully was looked at by the development team and tweaked?No one has yet asked that question. I sent mine yesterday afternoon, but to date and time, have not had a reply. Hopefully soon. I really like the program and it DOES make XPsp2 scream along.

>>>>If O&O Lite worked.. I would have posted it>>>Read the last line in my list and all the questions you may>EVER have about using other tools and going past my list with>other tweaks will become quite clear.----------------------------------------------Ten-Four, loud and clear, LOL!Goodbye Lite...whoosh....

Nick, firstly along with everyone else, many thanks for the info.I have been following the instructions step by step and was going well,until I got to the first complete/name defrag. O+O starts the defrag and the window appears to show the progress, but it stays at 1% never changes. I left it for two hours and still it never changed, so I stopped the defrag. Upon starting my machine again I got the dreaded HAL.DLL missing message and couldn't restart windows until I had done a restore from the original XP disc. I have since tried to make a slipstream disc but only have Nero 6 express not the full version.Do you have any instructions that detail how to do this with express? and what do you think may have happened at the complete/name defrag stage ?My machine is not a Dell running P4 3.2gb xp professional with SP2

Phil Densley