Sign in to follow this  
jvile

WOAI AFCAD's

Do the AFCAD files included with the World of AI flightplans work in FSX? They seem to be FS9 AFCAD's.

No, i dont believe they have released any fsx ones yet. and they are different.. Look in avsim file libray in fsx section for latest Aiports. andt they are not afcads, that was the name of the programme that was used to edit them ,they are aiport.bgl's, name seems to have stuck but the 2 fsx editoe=rs are ADE ( airport design editor ) , and FSxplanner. both freeware.

I don't think the "name" of the .bgl file has anything to do with the files compatibility with FSX. AFCAD was simply a CAD style airport editing program just like ADE and FSXPlanner. The "AFCAD" in the file name just designates what program was used to edit the airport file just as some of the files that used Airport Design Editor have "ADE" in the file name. I can open the WOAI AFCAD .bgl's with ADE and they don't appear to be any different than the files created with ADE.

I found out the answer to my own question by observing the placement of parking spaces, taxiways, etc. using ADE to open a few WOAI AFCAD's and locking into FSX. It seems that there isn't a problem with the WOAI AFCAD's "working" with FSX (ie your aircraft would land correctly) but there is a problem with the placement of parking, taxiways, etc. Although the runways and navigational data are the same, it seems that the location of some visual elements of FSX scenery are very different from FS9. If an AFCAD from FS9 is used in FSX, you could find your aircraft taxiing on the grass, through buildings, parking inside structures or in strange locations plus you would lose all the jetways from the original airport. You could use the WOAI AFCAD's and modify them using ADE or FXPlanner, but from what I've observed, there are so many visual differences it would be easier to just create a new file for the airport using the editor of your choice.

WoA does not have any AFCAD file packages.Might you be talking about the MAIW AFCAD files which were included in some of the MAIW packages which used the WoA Installer before MAIW completed work on their own installer?AF2 files created with Lee Swordy's AFCAD2 program are not a good idea in FSX. Nor any FS2004 airport file to modify AI traffic behavior.Those files do not understand almost all of the additional elements in FSX and can easily cause those features to disappear - such as jetways.However, if you are dealing with military bases, the general lack of detail would not make those files a bad starting spot at some airports. But I'd check the airport in the default FSX first, then check it with the AF2 file in the addon scenery folder.

Yes, it is military packages I'm referring to but they are from WOAI and they do indeed contain AFCAD's. Most of the AFCAD's are for military installations, but there are also AFCAD's for major airports like KJAX, KSTL and KBHM. For instance, download WOAIMIL24.zip from the library. This particular download contains 25 AFCAD files.

It appears that you have not read Reggie's post. WOAI does not package AFCAD's with FP's. I don't know how much clearer that can be.Let me point a few things out that you seem to be misquoting.It is not WOAIMIL24.zip but WOAMIL24.zipThe download was developed by MAIW and the readme clearly states "Military AI Works in cooperation with World of AI brings the United States Navy etc., etc."In cooperation may simply mean they have permission from Peter to use the WOAI Installer and nothing more.There are only 12 so called AFCAD's in the WOAMIL24.zip not 25. MAIW does create enhanced airports as part of their Military work but if you look closer these are not airports designed with AFCAD.AFCAD2 is a Utility for FS9 that Lee Swordy designed years ago and only understands FS9 airports. What MAIW is calling a AFCAD is actually a FSX enhanced airport that the XML has been massaged many times leaving both FS9 and FSX elements embedded.Many of the attributes such as the airport header came from FSX which uses trafficScalar=""'s and airportTestRadius=""'s. The freq's came from FS9 which is not current for some of the airports such as KADW.FS9 or AFCAD does not know anything about the following attributes found in each of the enhanced airports in the WOAMIL24.zip package.alternateThreshold=""alternateTouchdown=""alternateFixedDistance=""alternatePrecision=""leadingZeroIdent=""noThresholdEndArrows=""Many of the blocking statements used (deleteALL=) come from FSX I would question any designer of an enhanced airport why are there 6 individual exclude bgls just for KNHK in WOAMIL24.zip. One exclude bgl with 6 exclude rectangles is more efficient when FS9/FSX is running when they preload prior to the airport header (naming scheme or embedded in the XML of the enhanced airport).If you open/save these type Enhanced Airports that has a mismatch of both FS9 and FSX attributes then problems are going to surface. If any of these airports need tweaking then Lee Swordy's AFCAD2 Utility should be used and not ADE or FSXP. That is not because they were designed with the AFCAD Utility but AFCAD is much more tolerant to certain FSX attributes in the XML that MAIW marked as "FALSE". AFCAD is also blind in some cases and does not see the additional FSX attributes. What AFCAD cannot see when it compiles then Lee's code cannot change.We say whatever Airport Utility enhanced that airport then that Utility should be used. The closest Utility that will not destroy these bgl's that MAIW called AFCAD's is the AFCAD Utility. If you are trying to place these airports in FSX then start FSX and then load the MAIW Airport bgl into AFCAD. If you have FSUIPC by Pete Dowson then FSX will connect to AFCAD. This will allow you to reposition the taxiways so taxiway signs and buildings do not interfere. The additonal FSX attributes embedded in the XML will not be flushed out by AFCAD on a save. The FSX attributes in the XML have all the "FALSE" statements listed properly and AFCAD does not see them so it will not change them.