Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WebMaximus

Different sound for different views

Hi,Does someone know how FSX determines what type of sound it should be for different views - internal or external and can this be changed somehow for the different camera definitions?Reason I ask is I have wingviews for a couple of a/c and currently as soon as I switch to the wing views the sound changes to the same type of sound I get in the external views like the spot view - I would instead like to have the same kind of sound I have when in the cockpit.I have checked the camera definitions for the wing views but I can't see anything that seems sound-related or that tells FSX whether the sound should be of the external type or the much softer sound you have when inside the a/c.Thanks in advance for any tips of how to configure this if possible?!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Maximus,Not sure how it was done in FS9, but in FSX, you should be looking at the sound.cfg for the aircraft (rather than the camera definitions.)According to the SDK:"The sound.cfg file is located in an aircraft

Thanks for the info, just had a look in one of the a/c sound.cfg files but can't really understand what it is that determines what sound is played depending on what view you're in and since the sound changes from one camera definition to the other that was the reason I thought it was a camera definition setting that needed to be changed. Well, maybe someone else knows otherwise I guess I'll have to live with the feeling of sitting outside the a/c on the wing when in wingviews ;) rather than sitting inside the a/c in the cabin looking out the window.

The system for generating sound seems really complicated to me in FSX. I'm just going to state the obvious and suggest that some aircraft do a much better job of handling external versus internal audio cues better than others. In FSX, the audio can be directional, so that even if your viewpoint does not move except to rotate, the sound changes to simulate where the engines are with respect to your ears. Maybe experimenting with the stereophonic effects in your sound card drivers might help, but I'm just guessing.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Hi Jeff,Yep...maybe you're right the logic behind the sound in FSX is all but simple. However I think the thing here is to find where to tell FSX whether it should use the 'external view sound' or the 'internal view sound'.In the aircraft.cfg file for the aircraft where the wingviews are defined in 2 camera definition sections (one for the left wing and one for the right wing) I noticed there is a line found in all camera definitions that is called 'Chategory' if my memory serves me right and where that value can be 'Cockpit' 'Aircraft' etc and I thought maybe setting that to 'Cockpit' would fool FSX to belive it should also use the same type of sound it does for the cockpit views but no such luck...;)...all that did was to change where in the context menu you use to choose your view the wing views ended up.

I have the same situation. The Level D and the Maddog 2006 have wing views in FSX, but only with external sounds. It's as if the passenger seat is outside the plane, not inside. There must be a way to keep these views but change to the VC sounds. My experimenting has not produced any results, so if anyone has an idea I'd love to know.Curt

Yes, I belive lots of people would be happy if someone could find out how to achieve this.

HiI looked at the sound.cfg file some time ago and noticed that in 'some' aircraft the sound files for the interior and exterior sounds differed only by an 'X' e.g.Interior sound file - ban4.wavExterior sound file - xban4.wavWhat I tried was to remove the 'x' from the exterior sound files so only the interior sound would be played. This worked OK on some aircraft, some are a bit more complex in the use of the sound effects. The only thing is that you will always hear the internal sounds in all views, but it worked for me.RegardsPhil