Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

My FSX payware aircraft that are true FSX models

Where is the witch hunt in here?A user should be able to see if the models he has are compiled for FSX or FS9.How does it effect you if you are being honest?And for the record, it was off-topic.

Guest christian

Hi Phil Thanks for your update, I think it shows your intentions much better. I'm glad to see you accept that FS9 aircraft that work with FSX can be sold as FSX aircraft.Two thoughts:Does Microsoft write on the FSX boxes 'only includes DX10 preview'?If not, then why should developers write 'only compatible with SP1' in their blurb? In a perfect world those statements should be exposed to the customer, but we both know that marketing likes to hide that sort of stuff. (Not saying this is ok!)This isn't criticism of what you wrote, just pointing out that your blog post comes across as moral preaching which ticked some people off here. I hope you can at least see that things at MS aren't as they should be either (I know you made every effort to explain the situation and be transparent, your marketing department though is not).Second thought:I agree with Ron when he feels uncomfortable with your hex editor advice. While you had good intentions, Ron's right when he asks, how would you feel if someone publically announces that people should inspect MS software with hex editor software. It's even violating EULAs as that sort of stuff is a first step into reverse engineering.What's done is done let's learn a lesson and move on. Have a great weekend!Christian

>Actually, not even a hex-editor is needed...>>Simply rightclick on the .mdl file and Open with Wordpad.exe>>FSX SDK compiled models will have this in the first line:>MDLXMDL>>FS9 SDK compiled models will have this in the first line:>MDL8MDL>>In either case though, it's dangerous opening any .mdl>file, because one can easily change something by accident and>throughly toast the .mdl file... :-eek The easy response to this is to set the file as read-only before opening it, so that the users don't have to worry about anything "dangerous"

Guest UlfB

>ULF B,>>Thanks for a good post, but obviously this has gotten>completely out of hand. Your original request for inputs to>your list, which I think is a great idea, is being ignored. >>Perhaps another try later with a request that responses be>limited to the subject?>>Regards,>>Thrakete>Thrakete,Yes, your'e right. And the next time I'll make sure to add a comment if the model works ok in FSX DX9, regardless if it's a FSX or FS9 model. Just to avoid any confusion. I had no idea these vendors where that sensible. Probably they are in some kind of defense mode all over.Ulf B

Brian, are you speaking to me?

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

>>In either case though, it's dangerous opening any>.mdl>>file, because one can easily change something by accident>and>>throughly toast the .mdl file... :-eek >>The easy response to this is to set the file as read-only>before opening it, so that the users don't have to worry about>anything "dangerous"Sure! But how many folks remember to make a backup copy of any file before they hack away at it and render it useless? ;)I've lost count of the number of times folks have asked for someone to send 'em an aircraft.cfg file they've toasted...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest weeniemcween

>I checked out the Aerosoft website and I can't find any>screenshots of MyTraffic that aren't using MyTraffic models. Sorry for not being clear. I meant that Aerosoft used AIAardvark and EVAI in an airport scenery advertisement but said it was Mytraffic. Took them way too long to fix the "error", especially considering how people complained. see new releases, madrid barajas at their forums.

"The easy response to this is to set the file as read-only before opening it, so that the users don't have to worry about anything "dangerous""Let me try to understand...you wish developers would set model files so folks could hack away without danger of destroying the file??:-eek

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Guest JSPuonti

>>"The easy response to this is to set the file as read-only>>before opening it, so that the users don't have to worry about>>anything "dangerous"">>Let me try to understand...you wish developers would set model>files so folks could hack away without danger of destroying>the file??:-eek I can't quite see how the original post could be understood in that way... To me atleast it's clear that he's saying the END USER should set the MDL file read-only before opening it.Which I imagine, just as using a hex-editor, in the case of many ordinary end users falls into the domain of "come again?" or "say what?" :D(as in, it's beyond what they're used to doing with their 'puters)

I disagree.WRT to point 1:I see users having these issues today, 7 months after Acceleration was released and 5 months after SP2. So I spoke out. The 3DPs and the community heap more than their fair share of crticism on us. Is it not fair to have this be a bi-directional debate?What I see my post was taken in the worst possible light, and that was used to attempt to start WW3 against me personally, even though after 1.5 years+ and >1000 posts on this forum alone I should at least have had the courtesy of a clarifying question before assuming I had bad intentions. And I did clarify as required. My intentions were not bad. Using as a starting point the assumption I have bad intentions, after my public history here, I dont see that as fair at all.WRT to point 2:We put the SDK on the Deluxe DVD, so anyone who gets that can open files and view them. The advice about using a hex editor is essentially no different. Go ahead, use a hex editor on any file. Use TMFViewer on any file it opens. Use Imagetool on any file it opens. Aces has nothing to hide. And I have repeatedly not shied away from difficult subjects.The PC is essentially a democratic system where the end-user has the ability to control their own destiny. Acting like giving the advice to end-users to be in control of their own destiny is something anyone should be uncomfortable with is foreign to me and the history of the PC as I have been a part of it.The funny thing about this is, neither Ron nor Jim nor their companies have anything to hide here either. Why this sparked their ire I have no idea. Could I at least get the courtesy of a clarifying question before attempting to impugn me and my motives? Or is that too much to ask? If it is too much, why?

How is the practice of selling an FS9 aircraft as FSX, that is going to cause problems for the consumer, right?Phil, with all due respect, it didn't cause problems for the consumer before Aces changed the rules in the middle of the product cycle. To now blame it on the 3rd party developers is just not right!!! This situation was caused by SP2/Aceleration not the RTM, and not SP1!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I disagree, and ask a question.There are FS9 aircraft that continue to operate just fine in SP2.There are other FS9 aircraft that do not operate just fine in SP2, and are in fact continuing to be sold as FSX. To be clear, they are not from either Eaglesoft or Flight1.It is this latter category, and only this latter category, that I am calling out. There have been 7 months since the ship of Acceleration and 5 months since the ship of SP2. Plenty of time for either the web site blurb to be updated, a patch to be released, etc. It is the case where that hasn't happened that I am saying the consumer is being misled. How is it that calling out this latter category is unfair?

>>Actually, not even a hex-editor is needed...>>>>Simply rightclick on the .mdl file and Open with Wordpad.exe>>>>FSX SDK compiled models will have this in the first line:>>MDLXMDL>>>>FS9 SDK compiled models will have this in the first line:>>MDL8MDL>>>>In either case though, it's dangerous opening any>.mdl>>file, because one can easily change something by accident>and>>throughly toast the .mdl file... :-eek >>The easy response to this is to set the file as read-only>before opening it, so that the users don't have to worry about>anything "dangerous"Or just don't save anything. File won't change then!

>>>Actually, not even a hex-editor is needed...>>>>>>Simply rightclick on the .mdl file and Open with>Wordpad.exe>>>>>>FSX SDK compiled models will have this in the first line:>>>MDLXMDL>>>>>>FS9 SDK compiled models will have this in the first line:>>>MDL8MDL>>>>>>In either case though, it's dangerous opening any>>.mdl>>>file, because one can easily change something by accident>>and>>>throughly toast the .mdl file... :-eek >>>>The easy response to this is to set the file as read-only>>before opening it, so that the users don't have to worry>about>>anything "dangerous">>Or just don't save anything. File won't change then!Well, sure, but the point is still valid that if you go poking around in a file and you don't know what you are doing, you can fry things pretty nicely.I've certainly had my share of "Would you like to save file C:blahblahblah" when I've just clicked yes out of routine.

>Brian, are you speaking to me?>I'm just saying that if you told me, as a businessman, that you didn't really care what I think, I'd be unhappy with or distrusting of businessmen myself.