Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mace

DX10 water replacement?

So I just moved up to Vista and DX10. So far, I'm quite happy with the results. Framerate is about the same, but enabling eye candy seems to have a smaller effect on the framerate meaning I can enable more stuff now.One thing I noticed is that water is very...blue... Flying around Friday Harbor, it looked more like some painting of a caribbean island. I'd have expected the water to be almost black here. It seems the water reflects too much of the sky color, or maybe there's a very bright blue base texture somewhere. I was going to take a screenshot, but Printscreen didn't work. I'm using Ultimate Terrain X, not sure if that affects water color. I don't remember water being *this* blue under XP, but it's been a while since I last played FSX.Are there any water replacers that retain the new DX10 water effects, while toning down the colors a bit?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I think the "V" key takes a screenshot in FSX.Thank you,KailFlightSimmer since 1987C2D E6850 3.0GHz 1333FSBXFX Nforce 680i LT SLI2x XFX 8800GT 512MB SLI'd4GB Crucial Ballistix PC6400 800MHzCreative SB Audigy2 ZSUltra Xfinity 600W SLI PSUSeagate 320GB 7200RPM 16MB SATA-3GB/S HDWindows XP SP2 / FSX SP2 / FS9 SP1

Hi,yes I agree FSX does reflect the sky too much. It is also a uniform reflection whereas in real life the reflection varies from virtually none if you look straight down to high reflections as you look towards the horizon.Our FREE FS Water Configurator package should be able to help you. It enables you to modify the intensity of the reflections, adds a distiction between vertical and horizon reflections and also the intensity of the base texture colour. All completely controllable from as easy to use GUI.It is nearing completion and should be released very soon. Although at the moment its only for DX9 (both XP and Vista), we will be working on DX10 compatibility ASAP.See www.fswaterconfigurator.com for more info.Cheers,Paul

V worked for capturing a screenshot. Just a small compressed one to show what I'm seeing - I assume this is the normal water color in FSX?http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/188361.jpgThat project looks interesting, I'll be keeping an eye on it. However, DX10 is a must for me - the sim looks better without performing worse on my system.

Yes that pic does look like everyone elses default FSX water. As you can see its almost a perfect reflection of the sky above - i.e. nothing like real life unless you are very low over a perfectly still lake.FSWC will definately be able to help this situation without the need for texture addons. However, I would say that to get the best water you really do need a water texture add on as well such as Flight Environment X or Real Environment Xtreme (also nearing release). Both of these not only enhance the water textures but also the animations too.I will be working on DX10 as soon as I can. I have recently bought an 8800 GT so I just need to get hold of vista and I can begin porting the DX9 code over to DX10. It looks quite straight forward in my head however, I just need a test machine.I will keep the website and several forums updated of our progress. Ashton is nearing completion of the interface. We then just have to beta test and then release of the DX9 version.Paul

I agree, the default water is way too blue in the mid-and-northern latitudes.You can also modify water color by changing the water class values, but it's not as good a solution as actually changing the textures to somethng more--reasonable...as others suggest in this thread.RhettE8500, Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64