Sign in to follow this  
Guest JimC1702

How to determine if a backcourse approach, etc.

Thanks. I downloaded and took a look at one of the Jim Cook files for KSCH. I looked into the bgl file "AFX_KSCH_JC.bgl". Looking through the binary, I found code for KALB ils (ILS 01 and ILS 19) was in this file. I tested in FSX and found the same results as you: locked onto ILS 01 DEJ in the backcourse direction.I then opened this file in Jon "Scruffyduck" Mastersons's ADE 1.30 and compiled it. ADE uses the sdk BGLCOMP to do the actual compile, as recommended by MS. I replaced Jim's file with my new one, and now KALB ILS systems appear to work as desired.Observations:Microsoft tell us that developers are expected to use the supplied sdk tool BGLCOMP to build replacement scenery. My understanding is that the AFX tool apparently used in creating this file is based on the code from Lee Swordy's AFCAD2. This code apparently does not use BGLCOMP to compile bgl, rather uses its own, undocumented compiler. My guess is that it reads the default aiprot, INCLUDING ALL NAVAIDS WITHIN A CERTAIN RADIUS, of the target airport. In this case of KSCH, this includes the nearby KALB. That's not so much a problem, except that it seems to be picking up the ILS units (in Microsoft's code, ILS and VOR units are in the same section of the file). Now what may be happening, is that when the target airport is compiled, the NAVAIDs are being compiled (I note the area VORs and NDBs are also in the file.) Now here's the serious problem: when you compile an airport using BGLCOMP, the only way to add an ILS NAVAID, is as "part of" (element of) an airport and runway. But it looks like AFX isn't doing this. The two ILS units are "orphans". How FSX treats these orphans isn't documented (we know from experience that there are instances of orphans within the default files, but the reason for doing this is limited, and at any rate MS says addon developers should not try to add orphans).Bottom line is that my personal opinion is that the AFX developer / owner should review these findings and comment on whether or not the tool is performing correctly. Meanwhile, I am suspicious of any files created by AFX. I have found the freeware ADE tool very nice, as is FSX_Planner.scott s..

Scott, thanks for the further investigation. It's nice to get some validation that this problem is not machine specific - or that I'm hallucinating. I've passed your comments on to Jim Cook, who's already been in touch with me and is seeking a resolution from AFX.Robert

Guest JimC1702

Thanks to Robert for bringing this to my attention. I posted in the AFX support forum and he verified exactly what Scott said. AFX is picking up navaid information from nearby airports. Hopefully there will be a fix coming. Meanwhile I know now to check for errant navaids before uploading any airports.Sorry to drive you crazy, Robert!Jim Dell XPS 420 Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 ghz3 gb dual channel 800 mhz DDR2 RAM512 mb nvidia 8800GT500 gb SATA drive 7200 rpmSoundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Music22" Acer widescreen LCDWindows Vista Home Premium

Guest Nils79

Jim, do you know if there is a fix available or any news? Thanks in advance!