Sign in to follow this  
WarpD

Question about "System Idle Process" and FSX.exe

While flying over Colorado, I opened the Windows Task Manager. I was surprised to see FSX.exe at about 50% and System IDLE Process at about 50%. Is this because to open the Task Manager, it reduces the percentage of time that FSX.exe is allocated? I was thinking I would see near 90% for FSX.exe? Always being told that FSX is CPU bound/limited, is why I expected to see a larger percentage for FSX.Thanks,Jim

Guest fsxmissionguy

Probably just a temporary anomoly, assuming you are running FSX in windowed mode (and not full-screen mode).Try this:1) Exit FSX2) Start Task Manager3) Switch to the Performance tab4) Minimize Task Manager5) Start FSX and open your Colorado flight. Fly for a moment or two.6) Maximize Task Manager and you'll see a running chart of what happened while all that took place.7) I'd be surprised if it wasn't always above 90% while you're flying.Cheers,

Guest NoobPilot

What is your processor? This may be because of dual cores. I have this same thing, always happens, always had. My processor can be seen below. I have always thought though that FSX was able to take advantage of multiple cores.

If you're running a CPU that's hyperthreading enabled, or you're running a dual core CPU... you'll see this.That 50% represents 100% load on a single core or a single hyperthread pipeline.While ACES improved multicore support in FSX, the vast majority of that appears to be in the scenery loading and other file access sections of FSX. The primary render loop is still running on a single core/thread.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Yep - I have an Intel dual core E6600. Standard experience for me is for FS.Exe to show around 55% and System Idle Process to show around 45% when flying.FSx does not take full account of dual cores - it only uses the second core for some threads.(That is my understanding, anyway) Barry

Guest NoobPilot

I guess we should keep our fingers, toes, and eyes crossed for improvement in this area with the possible new engine in FSXI. I heard that hardware is just about as fast as it can go currently, and now the trend is shifting towards making the programs faster to take full advantage of the available technology.

Additional information.My CPU is a single core 3.4 GHZ; and I am running Windows XP Pro.I took another look at the Task Manager today. I see under the PERFORMANCE tab two main areas; CPU usage, and CPU usage history.The CPU usage shows about 50 to 60%. Now under the CPU USAGE HISTORY there are two graphs. The one on the left side shows about 90% activity. The second chart on the right shows about 20%, and I am not sure what this right chart is telling me. All this seems confusing to me. Perhaps the chart showing the line at about 90% is really the one showing the total CPU usage history caused by running FSX.EXE

>Additional information.>My CPU is a single core 3.4 GHZ; and I am running Windows XP>Pro.>I took another look at the Task Manager today. I see under>the PERFORMANCE tab two main areas; CPU usage, and CPU usage>history.>The CPU usage shows about 50 to 60%. Now under the CPU USAGE>HISTORY there are two graphs. The one on the left side shows>about 90% activity. The second chart on the right shows about>20%, and I am not sure what this right chart is telling me. >All this seems confusing to me. Perhaps the chart showing the>line at about 90% is really the one showing the total CPU>usage history caused by running FSX.EXEYour CPU is hyperthreaded.The two "history" graphs are for each hyperthreading pipeline. It mimics dual core (poorly) to a certain extent by using a parallel processing path to process two threads at the same time.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69