Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Piper Cheyenne Start Up Problem?

Guest Captain America

My Digital Aviation Piper Cheyenne (CD Version) starts with the rightengine running and the left engine shut down. This happened after Iinstalled the Eaglesoft Twin Comanche.I uninstalled the Twin Comanche and reinstalled the Cheyenne.Problem remains. The left engine fuel lever is in the off position. Flip it on, hitthe starter and everything runs perfectly.I've tried saving in every known configuration, but it still startswith the left engine shut down. I can configure it for a cold and dark start. It will start up perfectly. But when configured to start with engines running, the left engine is always shut down.No other add-on is affected. Something has been changed somewhere.How do I fix this annoying problem?I posted this on the Digital Aviation forum with no luck.That place is dead.Thank You.

Maybe I'm missing something, but are you starting from the Free Flight or from a saved flight, or both? Have you tried starting with the default Cessna first and then switching to the Cheyenne?Do you have the payware version of FSUIPC? Have you looked at the settings there?

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

Guest Captain America

>Maybe I'm missing something, but are you starting from the>Free Flight or from a saved flight, or both? Have you tried>starting with the default Cessna first and then switching to>the Cheyenne?>>Do you have the payware version of FSUIPC? Have you looked at>the settings there?I start from free flight, I've never saved a flight.When starting from the default Cessna and then switching tothe Cheyenne the problem still occurs?I don't have any version of FSUIPC. I installed the free versionof FSUIPC and the problem still occurs. The Cheyenne has ran perfectfor about a year without FSUIPC.This started after installing the Eaglesoft Twin Comanche. That planehas since been deleted and the Cheyenne re-installed from the CD.Problem remains? It only affects the Cheyenne and no other planes?The Cheyenne is still flyable. Just flip on the left engine fuellever, hit the starter and fly.Thank You for any assistance.JimFt Worth, Tx

Jim,It's highly unlikely that the ES Twin Comanche is the cause of this problem. Usually, things like this are coincidental. What controllers are you using? Do you have a throttle quadrant?Check your controls settings, and see if there's a problem with whatever controller you're using. Look at the mixture axis.

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

I've also run into this when switching from the Comanche... but when you start up the default Cessna first and then switch to the Cheyenne, it should come up running with both engines. If not, try the default Baron first, start the engines with Ctl-E and switch to the Cheyenne.

Bert

Guest Captain America

These are all great suggestions that have been tried and failed.I shouldn't have to work around the problem.There's got to be a solution somewhere?Something changed in my computer/FSX when I installed the TwinComanche and I need to find out what it was and change it backso I don't have to jump through hoops just to start an aircraft.Thanks for all your suggestions.

Not sure what you are saying..Does the Cheyenne work correctly after first loading up the Cessna?If so, this is not "working around the problem" but normal procedure for many highly customized aircraft.The Comanche definitely leaves traces behind if I switch from it to the Cheyenne.. ie the Cheyenne does work correctly in that instance, but the lesson is that this is not "recommended procedure" and as such to be avoided.. :-)

Bert

>Something changed in my computer/FSX when I installed the>Twin Comanche and I need to find out what it was and change it>back so I don't have to jump through hoops just to start an>aircraft.The TC makes absolutely no changes to FSX or any other part of your computer at all. None. Period.However, like all advanced aircraft system models, the TC requires that the sim state be in a default condition prior to being loaded, as does the Piper Cheyenne...This is why it is highly recommended that the user load a stock, default flight prior to loading either of the two advanced models.There are certain basic sim settings and variable state conditions that're maintained and reset only by the "default flight." Because of this, one should never make anything other than a default FSX model their "default flight." Not doing so may result in success, but it's still a crap shoot... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Captain America

I have always loaded the default Cessna 172 first then load whateverairplane I wish to fly.The Piper Cheyenne worked perfectly for over a year using this method. Now the Piper Cheyenne starts with one engine running and one shutdown. No other multi-engine aircraft is affected, only the Cheyenne.I even re-installed the Cheyenne, same problem. It's not a show stopping problem. The left engine is easy to start, only hit 2 switches and it's running. Starts from cold and dark just fine.But, will not start with both engines running no matter what I try.And, I've tried just about every configuration possible.It's just not knowing what is wrong and how to fix it that's thereal problem. I can live with it.I like everything to be perfect and not having control over thisproblem is what irritates me the most.Thanks for all the suggestions. I got a lot more help here thanI did at Digital Aviation, and they made the thing.

OK, I've got the same aircraft installed, so logically should have the same problem.I know that I've had the Cheyenne start up with only one engine running, just as you have, but not often enough to be able to duplicate that situation.If you start up the default Baron and with both engines running, switch to the Cheyenne, does it then have one engine shut down?BTW, if it makes you feel any better, on my system, if I switch from the Comanche to the default King Air with engines running, it is all messed up as well. (Not just the Cheyenne..)

Bert

Guest Captain America

>If you start up the default Baron and with both engines>running, switch to the Cheyenne, does it then have one engine>shut down?Yes. I loaded the default Baron, sitting in the 2d cockpit withboth engines running. I selected the menu bar and selected theCheyenne. It started with the left engine shut down and the rightengine running.What's next?

OK, that is different from my situation. I assume the Cheyenne has the left firewall fuel selector set to "off"... at least, that seems to be the problem when this happens to me.What is your default flight? What airplane is selected in the startup panel?Also, what happens if you shut down the engines in the Baron and start them up with CTL-E and then switch to the Cheyenne?

Bert

Guest Captain America

>OK, that is different from my situation. >>I assume the Cheyenne has the left firewall fuel selector set>to "off"... at least, that seems to be the problem when this>happens to me.>>What is your default flight? What airplane is selected in the>startup panel?>>Also, what happens if you shut down the engines in the Baron>and start them up with CTL-E and then switch to the Cheyenne?1. The left fuel selector is set to off.2. My default flight is the C-1723. Still the Cheyenne starts with the left engine shut down.