Sign in to follow this  
pipersam

Scared of flying?

Guest FSJUNKIE

>So my question to you all is, does anyone have a fear of>flying, or has anyone ever experience a scary moment whilst>flying? >It would be interesting to see peoples comments.Usually I take a window seat and picture (even pretend if noone is looking) that I'm flying the plane...it really helps on some of those sharp turning steep approaches. Otherwise, I get a little jumpy sometimes as well.My scariest moment...I had many occasions to ride shotgun in the Navy C-9's and C-40's. One time on a dark night flight, for what seemed like an eternity, I got disoriented by some points of light on the water and sky and convinced that we were taking a nose dive into the drink coming in on approach to NAS Jacksonville. In the back of my mind I knew I was hosed up somehow though, and it took every bit of self-control to keep my mouth shut!

False horizons and auto kenesis can make for fun night approaches!

Hi,I have had a couple of scary moments over the years... one in particular took me a long time to recover from.. and even now i keep my seatbelt tightly fastened!First less scary incident... Out of Bangkok for Copenhagen on SAS 767 ( about 1993 I think)- I was tired ( just come in from Phnom Penh ) and finally got on this flight (in Business class - not very good except for XO cognac )- anyway about midnight we took off... climbing.. suddenly the captain shouted something urgently in Danish or Swedish and suddenly all #### broke loose... we were being thrown around all over the place - real roller coaster ride, then it was all over and he appologised, said he didn't have time to say it in English, but we had just flown over or through a major thunderstorm. That was pretty scary.The other one.. that traumatised me more was a PAL busroute flight London Gatwick.. to Frankfurt, to Abu Dhabi, to Bangkok and finally to Manila all on a really old 747 200. Well first they did a crap heavy ( and long ) landing in EDDF so apparently the brakes overheated, so we had to wait for ages for them to cool down... then we took off and somewhere over northern Iraq we hit clear air turbulance.. no warning.. nothing... we dropped what felt like a long way... food went everywhere, people hit the ceiling... but my real fear was the structure of the airplane. It was old.. and i truely feared that the wings wouldn't be able to take it... it lasted for ages.. well it seemed like ages.... and then it was over... we carried on to OMAA where they took a couple of minor injuries off, cleaned up the big mess.. and then we continued. As I said earlier.. I still wear my seatbelt tight!Still.. I hear it's safer than driving your car.. expecially here in Lima!Cheers,Paul