Sign in to follow this  
Gypsy Baron

FSX frame rate holy grail

Guest sillyeagle

>>>>Turning AA on in FSX causes the CPU to do the rendering of AA>>This is simply not true.

Guest UlfB

>>6) AA in FSX. TURN IT OFF. You can never, ever render>textures faster via software than you can via a dedicated>GPU...hence the reason for a dedicated GPU. Turning AA on in>FSX causes the CPU to do the rendering of AA, why add to the>CPU cycles required to run FSX when you have a GPU sitting>there ready to take that rendering and leave the CPU to do>other things? Any $100 video card will suffice to render AA>and the more you spend on the video card the higher the level>of AA that can be had for a given resolution. Doing this in>FSX will do nothing but slow down your system.>Mike,I've just run FSX with AA turned off and turned on. No difference in fps (using FRAPS to measure fps). When having AA turned on, I've set nVIDIA control panel AA-mode to Enhance application the application setting. When AA is turned off I've set the nVIDIA control panel to override.I'm using nVIDIA drivers 177.79. No problems with shimmering and I don't need nHancer.Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

>>>>>>Turning AA on in FSX causes the CPU to do the rendering of>AA>>>>>This is simply not true.This is simply not having any substance yet. Care to elaborate if you really know anything about how it works in FSX?Thanks.

>I've just run FSX with AA turned off and turned on. No>difference in fps (using FRAPS to measure fps). When having AA>turned on, I've set nVIDIA control panel AA-mode to Enhance>application the application setting. When AA is turned off>I've set the nVIDIA control panel to override.>Ulf, while your meterings didn't show any difference, the software AA doesn't sound good in terms of efficiency (particularly when expecting a little boost from the GPU). Who knows where exactly peformance may take the biggest hit. Unless it works somehow different in FSX. Very interesting, I liked this setting though, but still cautious. :)Dirk.

>Good luck tweaking your "homelife cfg" To funny!Yeh, while you may just move on somewhere else laughing and bouncing. :)

>>>>>>>>Turning AA on in FSX causes the CPU to do the rendering of>>AA>>>>>>>>This is simply not true.>>This is simply not having any substance yet. Care to elaborate>if you really know anything about how it works in FSX?>>Thanks.SillyEagle is correct, we do not perform AA on the CPU. Turning this on informs the FSX runtime to set a flag on the graphics hw device to turn on hw AA.If the driver has a profile for FSX, that can conflict with this setting, thus making it appear to have no effect.

Guest Nick_N

Which is why some people see a difference and some do not when checking that box. More-so before everyone was aware of the Nv profiles and their affect on 3D apps, and, how to override them correctly I always override the Nv FSX profile and not use the sim option to simply ensure I will always see the result of the hardware settings I desire. After overriding the Nv profile checking that box nets absolutely no change in visual or perf because FSX is using the same settings Global and Profile have assigned to them in Nhancer.

>>SillyEagle is correct, we do not perform AA on the CPU. >>Turning this on informs the FSX runtime to set a flag on the>graphics hw device to turn on hw AA.>>If the driver has a profile for FSX, that can conflict with>this setting, thus making it appear to have no effect.Thank you Phil! That says enough to start using it. The visual result is very good, for my eye it is like setting AA Multisampling @4 in nHancer. What does the flag say btw about the degree of AA?Dirk.

Hi Mike,The "holy grail" bit was tongue in cheeek. Of course no such thing exists. I also took pains to repeatedly point out that I was passing on my attempts and nothing I said claimed any exclusive knowledge.The main point I was making was that if you start FSX with barebones detail at 50 fps you are never going to get it to run well after adding detail. So my main thrust was to get it to display as higher a frame rate as possible and then gradually add things.The only point I disagree with from your list is turning AA off. I've done a lot of tweaking on this and in fact sensible AA on my system hardly affects frame rates at all. On my old system it gave a different kind of stuttering from the classic type.Cheers,Rob

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Hi Nick,I'm sure there are deeper things to solve which hide the problem as you say. But the stutter I see in normal mode is not the usual kind.....it's a just a very slight hesitation every few seconds, at very regular intervals. Again, I did emphasise that every I mentioned worked for me, not necessarily for others and was no global answer.But I am now getting (with all the tweaks together) around 35-40 fps with detail up surprisingly high, and in the small default aircraft up to 75 fps constant at altitude. I'm not complaining at this and indeed it is better than I could have hoped in my old XP system with FS9.So I must be doing something right!Cheers,Rob

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Guest dswo

>Get a traffic addon program. Which traffic programs are you using, Rob?

Guest UlfB

>>>>>>Turning AA on in FSX causes the CPU to do the rendering of>AA>>>>>This is simply not true.Thanks Sillyeagle and Phil Taylor :-)Good thing to reduce the disinformation and misconceptions.Ulf B

See the DX SDK,Direct3D, section "Full-Scene Antialiasing".Its complicated. You have to:a) detect what the device supports:( create the device using a flag ( D3DMULTISAMPLE_TYPE ) that matches what the device supports*c) enable a render state.even then, this is only for triangles. line drawing does not get antialiased.*the enumerated type for D3DMULTISAMPLE_TYPE contains 18 entries, 17 valid values ( 0 to 16x ) and a placeholder.I'd have to check the code to see the max value we set, it might be that setting it in the driver gets you a higher multisample level.