Sign in to follow this  
beatle

which lat/long format is this?

Guest delsimflyer

Hi,I need help converting this format to be usable in afx, found it in a notam,283231.85N770449.65EIs there any conversion tool for this?

Hi there,there are tons of different projection formats but this looks like UTM (Universal Transverse Mercator) with Northing and Easting value.Online converters are available, e.g., http://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/toolbox/ge...phy/geoutm.htmlHowever, you need to know the UTM zone. If your docs don't include that information then you can look it up on sites like http://gis.washington.edu/esrm250/lessons/projection/ (about a third down from the top).Also, FSX uses geographic "projection" for its world model, not UTM. Thus, if your image covers more than just an airfield you'd need to re-project the image to geographic/WGS84 first to avoid distortion.Cheers, Holger

If I had to guess, I would say those stand for:28 degrees, 32 minutes, 31.85 seconds North77 degrees, 04 minutes, 49.65 seconds EastDon't know what format AFX needs, so not sure how to tell you to convert those.

I would say you are correct. This format is seen form time to time, though in some cases the second entry would be 0770449.65.ICAO rules are that for enroute waypoints positions should be DDMMSS. For terminal waypoints and facility fixes it should be DDMMSS.S and for runway thresholds DDMMSS.SS. Though national authorities at times will publish higher than required resolution in their AIS. They are also supposed to use WGS-84 datum the FS wants.scott s..

Guest delsimflyer

Hi,Thanks for the input but I need to convert my above lat/long into this type of format,N28* 33.565218'E77* 5.899833'I was expecting notams to have a common standard format. it is bit surprising I didnt see xxxxxx.xxN system on any conversion site.I still cant figure out what to do.can any of the pilots here help me out please?

>Hi,>>I need help converting this format to be usable in afx, found>it in a notam,>>283231.85N>770449.65E>>Is there any conversion tool for this?http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/DDDMMSS-decimal.htmlDegrees Minutes Seconds to Decimal Degrees283231.85N = N28* 54.2181'770449.65E = E77* 08.0458'

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

"Degrees Minutes Seconds" is a lot like "Hours Minutes Seconds". Each degree is divided into 60 minutes, and each minute is further subdivided into 60 seconds.You can generally deal with these types of numbers in 3 "formats"Integer.Fractional Degrees:N28.542181E77.080458Integer Degrees - Integer.Fractional Minutes:N28 32.5308E77 04.8274Integer Degrees - Integer Minutes - Integer.Fractional Seconds:N28 32 31.85E77 04 49.65To convert from Integer.Fractional seconds to Fractional minutes, divide the seconds value by 60 (31.85 / 60 == .5308) and then add it to the Integer minutes value.Same thing with Integer.Fractional minutes to degrees, divide by 60 again.To go the other direction, take the fractional portion and multiply it by 60.As to the storage file formatting, most of these things were designed decades ago when transferring data was expensive, so they just packed all the pieces together without spaces. The only reason they include the decimal point in the string is because in some instances, the fractional seconds isn't required (so when not used, the string is 3 chars shorter). NowADays this just seems silly, but you'll never get govt agencies to update their data formats :->