Sign in to follow this  
teropa

How is it really done?

Thanks for the replies guys its really helped me out!!I'm actually definately more of a boeing guy!! I've just enjoyed flying the wilco/feelthere a320 recently. Its no where near as good as level-d or pmdg, but then i guess i'll have to wait till pmdg do the airbus'!!

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet I think is the usage of proper derated thrust for takeoff.If you do max power takeoffs on a light or semi-light 767, you will not be able to arrest the speed for V2+15 to V2+25 in any sensible climb angles.However, if you use a properly calculated assumed temp (I am talking Level-D here), you will see a much attenuated takeoff performance, which should leave you to anywhere between 15 to 20 degrees nose up on initial climbout, and speed arrested between V2+15 and V2+25.Rotation should be swift at Vr, but no more than 2.5-3 degrees per second. Do not chase the flight director, but after liftoff gently pitch up to 15 degrees and as you see the speed building up even approaching 15 deg, pitch up until the acceleration is halted. But no need to pitch up so much that you would decelerate to or below V2+25. Just accept the speed you end up with when you finally arrest the acceleration.On a very light aircraft with max takeoff thrust you could be needing as much as 25 degrees nose up or more, but Boeing recommends arresting pitch up at 25 degrees ANU. Hope this helps.rgdsTero

PPL(A)

Thanks for the info. The trouble is I don't understand how to calculate the assumed temperature. I don't usually fly the LDS for trips longer than 2000nm so the aircraft is usually very light, and I punch in between 52 degrees C for the assumed temperature. Is there a calculation sheet out there to correctly determine the temperature? Many Thanks,Sam.

For the 747.. I'd handle my takeoffs a little differently.. Normally LNAV and VNAV are armed at the gate before I even taxi out to the threshold.. Climb thrust is set at the gate.. flaps are set just after start or on route to the threshold... Once crossing the threshold strobes go on and I arm the autothrottle at this point and line up..Once lined up with runway I advance the throttles to about 70% N1.. and wait for the engines to spool up and become stable.. (doesn't take too long).. at that point I activate TO/GA and the autopilot holds the desired thrust for take off.. as it's setting that THR REF is shown.. There is a thrust setting shown within the FMC pages and this must correspond to that shown on the EICAS, when it does.. "Power Set" is called.. after 80 knots.. THR REF becomes HOLD as the autothrottle is now holding the current thrust requirement for takeoff.. it's not armed to aquire a target speed at this point.. V1 passes.. and VR passes.. and I slowly pitch the nose up to a quite gentle ascent first.. no more than 12 degrees and usually less.. to ensure no tail strikes.. Once the Radio Alt shows 40 feet.. I bring the pitch of the nose up gently to maintain the current airspeed whatever that might be.. Usually within the V2+10 - V2+20 range.. call "Postivie Rate" and retract the gear.. As the gear is stowed you'll find there is a bit more pitch to apply as the drag reduces with the gear out the airflow.. After about 500 feet I can engage the A/P (you can of course fly SIDs maually too)..NOW.. depending on my weight.. and the SID.. I make an assessment as to where I will set the acceleration height.. IF my weight is high.. and the SID profile requires a steep climb.. for example WOBUN 2F/2G at Heathrow.. (3000 feet at the first big turn) then I'll set acceleration height higher and flaps 20.. As a result in my climb after leaving the runway.. the climb rate will be higher for the initial stages and allow me to reach my first altitude target without too much difficulty.. Flaps from 20 to 10 are retracted fairly early.. but the acceleration beyond flaps 10 is limited till my new acceleration height is reached as a result the initial climb out is maintained for a longer period, this is all adjustable in the FMC at the gate.. I'd probably use 2,500 as my acceleration height in this situation.. as I am likely to reach 2,500 well before the turn at 3,000 ahead of me due to my more aggressive initial climb out.. so I won't fall short of the altitude set in the SID.. On this particular SID.. after the turn at BUR the aircraft will have just started it's acceleration.. flaps 10 to flaps 5.. de-rate thrust kicks in.. and the acceleration is reduced further but on this SID the next altitude target is a way away and as a result a slower climb isn't a problem..If I am light.. Acceleration height is set to somewhat more normal limits.. and flaps 10 used on departure.. However climb out and leaving the runway is done in the same manner.. but the setup of the autopilot for the SID will depend on weight, weather and the SID requirements.. Even in a light airplane the autopilot may need "encouragement" to get to the initial 3000 feet target of the SID.. albeit a LOT less than for a heavy airplane..Not sure if that helps you..CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL