Sign in to follow this  
ulisses

The best cure for stutter

I have some ubiquitous stutter in FSX and it is a kind of stutter that is evident and disturbing. I mean the freezes are longer than what I have seen in FS9. They are most evident in turns and looking right and left.What confounds me is that they are the same no matter what I do. It's the same when I start FSX direct or with alacrityPC. Tweaks like bufferpools and FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION modification doesn't change it. I can increase my fps with slidersettings but the stutters are the same. They were the same both with and without UTX.My systemAMD 64 4000+ OC to 2.6 GHz2 Gb PC3200 RAMNVIDIA 7950GT 512M DDR3WD 150 Gb 10000 rpm raptor HDWin XP HomeFSX SP2

Ok you have a couple of issues. CPu is a little on the slow side FSX really needs a 3gig or faster CPU to perform, also the ram, 2 Gig is fine but you will get more out of 6400 ( 800mhz ) ram or even 8500 ( 1066 meg) ram, as for the viro card cant say but id upgrade ram and cpu first they will make a huge diff.

Guest SkullxBones

The thing that gave me the most stutters was file indexing in XP.To turn it off, go to My Computer. Right click on the drive FSX is on, Properties, uncheck Allow indexing service to index this disk for fast file searching.

>The thing that gave me the most stutters was file indexing in>XP.>>To turn it off, go to My Computer. Right click on the drive>FSX is on, Properties, uncheck Allow indexing service to index>this disk for fast file searching.Ditto.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

>Ok you have a couple of issues. CPu is a little on the slow>side FSX really needs a 3gig or faster CPU to perform, also>the ram, 2 Gig is fine but you will get more out of 6400 (>800mhz ) ram or even 8500 ( 1066 meg) ram, as for the viro>card cant say but id upgrade ram and cpu first they will make>a huge diff.I have a Asus A8V Deluxe S939 AGP mobo and it only supports PC3200 RAM although I had it slighly OC. Before it was underclocked and I see no difference because of that.I just have uppgraded the CPU from 3200+ to 4000+. Occasionally I see more powerful CPU lije FX-55 or Opteron on tradera (eBay) but they go for really high prices.

>The thing that gave me the most stutters was file indexing in>XP.>>To turn it off, go to My Computer. Right click on the drive>FSX is on, Properties, uncheck Allow indexing service to index>this disk for fast file searching.I have done so and indeed things got better. That was most obvious in FS9. In FSX the very annoying stutters wasn't cured. My system might be a little low for FSX but so are many of my slidersI have everything under traffic disabled and fully leftAll shadows are disabledWater high 1.x1280*1024*32

Adding my experience...I had 2gb, upgraded to 4gb 800mhz to avoid virtual memory.I had vista 32, did a clean install of vista 64.Installed FSX + Accelerator.Tried at default: stutters mainly in turns, locked at 30 FPS the sim was quite good but from time to time stutters appear.Tweaked the fsx.cfg, added affinity mask, fiber channel, buffer pools, no luck, same stutters on turns.Looked like a disk access, maybe virtual memory... moved to another HD, same thing...FSX runs very smooth for a short period, then some stutters, then smooth again... Maybe it is a mobo / CPU / Graphic thing, but I can't spend more money trying to get FSX ok, so I installed FS9 and it runs locked at 60 FPS most of the time, very very smooth.I did a test and downgraded my video board from 9800GTX+ to the 8600GT (both 512mb) and FSX ran better (more stable) in the old, less powerful video card.I don't know what to say, but I got tired trying to get a good FSX.Thanks,Ulisses

>I did a test and downgraded my video board from 9800GTX+ to>the 8600GT (both 512mb) and FSX ran better (more stable) in>the old, less powerful video card.>Very strange indeed

Yes, but the old card wan't faster than the 9800GTX+, just more stable, more constant, without the stutters every few seconds.Ulisses