Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Graphical glitch

Sometimes I experience a glitch in the FSX graphics. I occasionally for a short moment see black spikes or band thast are perpendicular to the horizon. They are only seen outside in the scenery not on the planes panel. What could this be and what could be done?

It's a memory issue - usually means your memory is getting all used up. How much memory do you have and what operating system do you have?If in a 32bit OS try using the 3GB switch, it may helphttp://thatworks.blogspot.com/2007/07/3gb-switch.html

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

>It's a memory issue - usually means your memory is getting>all used up. How much memory do you have and what operating>system do you have?>I have 2 Gb PC3200 RAM and Win XP Home. My videocard got 512M>If in a 32bit OS try using the 3GB switch, it may help>http://thatworks.blogspot.com/2007/07/3gb-switch.htmlThis only apply if you got 4 Gb RAM if I remember correctly

>It's not a memory issue at all - uninstall FSX SP2 if you>have this problem>In the controlpanel and add/remove program the list has an entry for SP2 but not for SP1. If I select to remove SP2 will I end up having FSX SP1? Or will both SP be removed? Is not SP2 supposed to improve and fix things instead of the opposite?But I do remember that I tested FSX with only SP1 for a while and can't remember seing this glitch during that time. So it seems that SP2 could be the culprit.

Guest firehawk44

"In the controlpanel and add/remove program the list has an entry for SP2 but not for SP1. If I select to remove SP2 will I end up having FSX SP1? Or will both SP be removed? Is not SP2 supposed to improve and fix things instead of the opposite?But I do remember that I tested FSX with only SP1 for a while and can't remember seing this glitch during that time. So it seems that SP2 could be the culprit."It IS a memory problem and, for some, removing SP2 fixed the problem but remember, SP2 comes with a new FSX.exe with special coding so FSX can see more than 2GB of memory. If you stay with SP1 or the original FSX, you'll have to hack into FSX.exe and change the memory line to show that FSX can use more than 2GB. Then you'll have to enable the /3GB switch. You can do a search here using OOM as your keyword and you'll find plenty of threads on this subject. For some too, changing video card drivers fixed the problem too but that's definitely not the fix for your problem. For me? I have a Vista 32 system and I simply moved the top scenery slider in the FSX.cfg from large level of detail to medium. Since then I have lowered some other sliders and I haven't seen the spikes or crashes since then. Best regards,Jim

It IS a memory issue. This is not only an FSX issue, I've seen this with many other games from many other users. I said it usually means you're OOM, key word usually. The introduction of SP2 only changed the way things were loaded in FSX. Google artifacts and search images, you'll find plenty that look like the spikes. In fact, I still get them on occasion... just deal with it. You can uninstall SP2 fine, but a lot of addons require SP2. So just keep that in mind.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |