Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ron Freimuth

Icing gauge ( XML ) concept.

Hello ! I'm little bit frustrated about Fs2004's lack of wing icing and other types of icing ( prop , carburetor , windshield etc ) as well. You can fly into worst icing conditions and the only thing you get is pitot icing. So , It's time to change that :-) As far as I know the only working icing variable is pitot icing , so i'm thinking about xml gauge that would simulate icing effects by using only pitot icing variable.My idea is that when pitot tube is frozen that means icing conditions exist, so gauge would add gradualy weight to some "station load" ( payload can be changed in flight ). The ice could only be removed by flying into warmer air ( temp > 0 degrees celsius ) - I'm taking about light planes like PA28 or C172 without any de-ice things. The amount of ice accumulation could be randomized by random number generator made by Doug that I saw somewhere here. Gauge should be able to simulate severe icing so you would be back on earth in 5 min or just light icing.My questions is that creating such gauge is possible in XML ?regardsEricson

I've experienced pitot icing for hundreds of times but not a single structrual icing and performance hit connected with that so I would stick to my gauge concept. Do you know anyone that felt from FS2004 sky due to structual icing ? I don't... Maybe there is variable but it has not effect in everyday flying ( in my experience )

Here are the key_events for "ice" control...XML gaugesANTI_ICE_ONANTI_ICE_OFFANTI_ICE_SETANTI_ICE_TOGGLEANTI_ICE_TOGGLE_ENG1ANTI_ICE_TOGGLE_ENG2ANTI_ICE_TOGGLE_ENG3ANTI_ICE_TOGGLE_ENG4ANTI_ICE_SET_ENG1ANTI_ICE_SET_ENG2ANTI_ICE_SET_ENG3ANTI_ICE_SET_ENG4TOGGLE_STRUCTURAL_DEICETOGGLE_PROPELLER_DEICEHere are the A:vars for "ice" conditions:Note: Engine parameters take an index (1,2,

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Ron Freimuth

>I've experienced pitot icing for hundreds of times but not a>single structrual icing and performance hit connected with>that so I would stick to my gauge concept. Do you know anyone>that felt from FS2004 sky due to structual icing ? I don't...>Maybe there is variable but it has not effect in everyday>flying ( in my experience ) The already mentioned thread:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=search also contains a message by me. Various test gauges show that induced drag, prop efficiency, etc. drop as an FS AC ices up. AFSD shows the weight of the ice, but it's the distortion of the aerodynamic surfaces that is the main problem. One problem is that stuctural de-ice doesn't work in FS9. I know the de-ice toggle is working, but it doesn't reduce the icing. One has to fly to an altitude where SAT is over 32 F to melt the ice off. However, Carb Heat, and Prop De-Ice work. There are two kinds of prop de-ice. One is a heater, and leaving it on melts the ice off. The other models boots on the prop blade LE's, and has to be cycled quite often to break the ice off. Further, it appears the pitot heat isn't enough to keep the pitot tube from freezing with higher iceing levels in FS9. Ron

Hello ! I made some test online flights with AFSD connected to FS2004 and yes indeed , there is struture icing as well as carb. icing :-shy But rate of ice building ( icluding severe ) should have ratio of 2x imho. It takes to long to bring down small plane like PA28 in severe icing conditions.Is there any way to increase ice building ratio ? Ericson

Guest Ron Freimuth

>Hello ! >>I made some test online flights with AFSD connected to FS2004>and yes indeed , there is struture icing as well as carb.>icing :-shy But rate of ice building ( icluding severe )>should have ratio of 2x imho. 2x?> It takes to long to bring down>small plane like PA28 in severe icing conditions.>Is there any way to increase ice building ratio ? >Ericson Only in the WX menu. Icing may only occur in clouds, not between. It's not the ice weight, it's the increase in Cdi and decrease in prop efficiency that reduce climb rate. Doesn't take long if one has a good clould cover wet with mid or higher icding. AFSD will show you Cdi, total drag on the Aerodynamcis Window. Also, available thrust. While the powerplant Window shows prop efficiency. I used AFSD to determine just what icing affected. And, what switches, if any, get rid of it. BTW, a saved situation file contains many settings and conditions at the save. Including an icing factor. Save the situation when your AC is iced up and check the file to see how much of the maximum you had. Ron

In FS9, the structural de-ice switch works in the Cessna 208 Caravan, but not in my aircraft. What should I do to have it working in my aircraft?Couldn't find anything in the aircraft.cfg...Thanks,Eric

Guest Douglas K

>>>>What should I do to have it working in my aircraft?<<<

Hello Douglas,Thanks for your help. In fact, I have just realized I had a too old 'aired.ini', so I couldn't see the Deice wing. I have updated it, changed 1519 value to 1, and it works perfect.Eric

Guest Patrick_Waugh

>Hello ! >>I made some test online flights with AFSD connected to FS2004>and yes indeed , there is struture icing as well as carb.>icing :-shy But rate of ice building ( icluding severe )>should have ratio of 2x imho. It takes to long to bring down>small plane like PA28 in severe icing conditions.>>Is there any way to increase ice building ratio ? >>EricsonWhat is AFSD?

Guest Douglas K

>>>>Thanks for your help. In fact, I have just realized I had a too old 'aired.ini', so I couldn't see the Deice wing. I have updated it, changed 1519 value to 1, and it works perfect.<<<