Sign in to follow this  
Alba

Pink lighting

Hello again folks,I am reworking a panel and it is coming along ok, up till now, that is.I am not really a programmer. I use Panel Studio and PSP for the graphics. My panel uses some FS2002 gauges, BTW, I am using FS9 here not FSX because my online buddies all are still flying FS9.Anyway, I happened to load the panel in FS9 at night (FS time) and my panel and some instruments have that old pink tinge to them. I read the How to in FS.com about altering the colour section in panel config but that applies to FS2002.Is it possible to alter the night lighting in a 2d cockpit in FS9? I know this may be baby stuff for some of you but I am unsure of making changes regarding the gauge and panel lighting.Again, any and all help appreciated.Regards...Kenny

Back in 2000, Chuck Dome released a utility program by the name of MakePink.exe which would allow the user to either make the gauge glow "pink" or any color they wished.It worked on both FS2000 and FS2002 compiled .gau files. Unfortunately, Chuck abandoned the hobby entirely and closed his website. I've just Googled and have been unable to locate that file anywhere on the planet... :(I long ago purged all those old utilitiy programs since I now code all my gauges and had no need for them...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

FS Panel Studio has a tool that allows you to set the 'day','night' and 'luminous' color values.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

True enough, or one may simply edit the values via notepad.Some of the older (FS98 & FS2000) gauges though have internal color values, which is why Chuck wrote the MakePink.exe utility.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guys, Guys.How nice it is to hear from you both again. I have had continuing ongoing health problems and my pc threw some wobblies but I am now getting back into things.I did not realise that Panel Studio had that capability, I will check it out. Also I will explore how to find and alter the settings in Notepad.I class myself more as a dabbler than a serious programmer but that does not stop me from tinkering with panels, gauges and a/c textures. It gives me a lot of enjoyment, as I am sure this great hobby does also yourselves.Thanks for the info.Regards...Kenny

Hi airfin.Thanks for the posting the link. I'll have another go at it. The gear lever I am using glows a nice pink colour at night!! Not all that authentic but maybe it is inbuilt into the lever gauge.Regards...Kenny

Hi Kenny.The lighting is controlled by the Color (sic) section, like this:Day=255,255,255 //RGB values: = white (no overlaid colour);Night=160,0,0 //RGB: gives a scarlet cast to the panel at nightNight=130,100,60 //RGB: gives a brownish cast;Luminous=220,90,90 //Gives pale red gauge backlightLuminous=220,200,100 //Gives pale yellow gauge backlightYou can see visually what the RGB components will give regarding colour by plugging the numbers into Photoshop, or other photo-editing software.;)

Hello Microlight, thanks for coming in.Some of the gauges I am using are .gau type and I do not know how to access the C coding. I do not have a knowledge of C++ so it would make no difference if I could access the code I know that the 2002 config files let you modify the RGB numbers but so far I do not know if I can access these numbers in FS9.Do you mean for me to enter the RGB numbers into my XML code and if so where do I enter it?Cheers...Kenny

Kenny,All I've done is to just put the figures into the 'color' section at the end of the panel.cfg file, and the gauges (mostly M$ default .gau files) have illuminated the right colour. I haven't done any kind of extensive testing on XML files, although you can make sure that XML gauges ahow the backlighting by making sure that the 'luminous' switch is incorporated, like this:;)

Hello again Microlight.Okay, I see it now. For some strange reason the panel that I am working on has not got a color section section at the end of it. I looked at the default a/c and see the section you mean.I will copy and paste a section from an a/c that looks right at night and then play around with the numbers as per the tutorial you linked to me.Thanks also for the xml tip.Regards...Kenny