Sign in to follow this  
victorwest2

Lack of landform accuracy is bumming me out

Hi - Basically, my question is: How can I get the most accurate landforms?For example, I fly near Philadelphia, and there are some major waterways that are just incredibly bad. Ideally, I'd like this type of thing accurate enough so that if USA Roads puts a highway adjacent to, and following, a river, the river is accurate.I realize that it may not be that simple.Thanks,Andrew

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Andrew."I realize that it may not be that simple.":-lol Here's some history of the beginnings of using LWM and VTP to alter the landscape of FS2002:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...d=238&mode=fullBefore Christian Stock, there was nothing as far as what we can now call TDF Design.Many people have applied thier intellect and talents to solving just the problem of landform accuracy. Since May of 2002, many advances have been made. But it does require skill and dedication to evolve your area of interest. Sbuilder and Ground2K4 are the current programs of interest to make this type of scenery. Postings here at AVSIM by Jim Keir, Holger Sandmann and Edgar Knobloch are very good, as they understand the nature of the terrain design process.In the US, we are lucky to have somewhat accurate GIS info in the form of Tiger census data. This allows us to make fairly accurate water, roads, etc... I've been in on the LWM and VTP design process right from the beginning, and it would still take me a week or more to produce the accurate water, shores and streams you would want, for your LOD5 area... if I could find the time at all.For you to learn the whole process might take a few months of your spare time, and learning to master a variety of tools.There is some hope that a US set of water data, roads, streams, utility lines will become available commercially. I cannot endorse it, as I haven't seen the BGLs ( from the FSGenesis Forums ):http://portal.fsgenesis.net/index.php?name...iewtopic&t=1117Markus is the author of GA_Traffic. He's very serious about the project, and he certainly has the programming skills. I don't know if he is aware of some of the details of terrain design, as they are not found in the SDKs, but we can hope. It is a commercial project, but if done right, it could solve many problems... just like the one you are having.Dick

Hi Dick - Sorry, but I'm going to need an easier way to do it, and a way that lets me accurately model my flying area in 15 to 20 minutes.Kidding. Hee hee...Great reading there, thanks for the excellent post. Wow, if this stuff was available when I was 14 and had nothing but time, time, time...Anyway, I'll do my homework. Thanks for the heads-up. While each release makes me feel like we're in some kind of flight simming renaissance, I can't help but laugh because we're still essentially in the equivalent of Wordperfect for DOS. Ok, maybe not that bad. (Remember when a BLUE word meant it would print in ITALIC on your 9-PIN printer?!? Maybe you're too young for that.)Anyway, thanks again. I recognize that if there were some easy solution, everyone would have moved on to something without an easy solution...CheersAndrew

Hello Andrew,I guess that you could do your project in about 30 minutes of scenery design, or maybe less. It would take you longer to learn how to use the design tools, but they are extremely easy to master.Get Ground2K4 by Christian Fumey, available in the AvSim library. You will probably need Ground2K4 version 5.1, then update it with version 5.33, I think.There is a simple guide for beginners as well, Ground2K for Beginners, also in the AvSim library. It was written for an earlier version of Ground2K, but most of it is still quite valid and useful.Give it a try, you will be surprised at how easy it is to make the FS world more realistic. Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask here.Best regards.Luis

Ground2k4 is quite easy to use once you've got over any initial thoughts of its "complexity". AutoAsm is also very good if you want a quick and simple solution to correcting scenery. I don't think it has the full versartility of Ground2k4 but if time is short then it is a very good tool. Slartibartfast has just been released but I haven't had a chance to really look at it yet.