Sign in to follow this  
nigelgrant

FSX Object Placement Tool-objects not appearing??

Using the FSX Objects Placement tool I placed 9 objects in two steps. Placed 4 and ran FSX and the objects appeared. Then placed 3 more and they did not appear after reload of FSX. Original 4 ok. If I go back to the placement tool and use it to open the XML for the project they are all there in the objects list. The added objects do not appear in the normal FSX display. I checked the BGL with BGLAnalyzeX and the objects are in the BGL. So I see some but not others.Regards,Dick Boley

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Hey Dick, are they possibly geo-locked? (only valid in particular areas) What are the specific objects in question?Jon

Hi Dick.Not all the scenery changes can be seen without exiting and restating FSX. This really hasn't changed from FS9... I know it appears it has, but it hasn't. Scenery activations to the Library can be changed, but if their folder contents are changed, a restart of the sim is needed.Also, some of the objects on the huge list have drastic LOD changes. Some objects don't appear until you're right on top of them!Dick

Ok, I had two problems.1. When saving your file go to the Missions tab as save it as scenery. If you just click OK the wrong XML format (mission style) is used. Look at the difference so you can quickly see if you used the wrong one. 2. Number 1 was the primary error but was masked by using the Abacus script freebie. There are no details so you see the same result either way. I now use the command window to see what is happening when using bglcomp. You need the 12/6/2006 version.Probably other process mistakes buried in my messing around but these are the largest for me. Regards,Dick Boley

regards,

Guest cwright

Dick, I just started playing with the object placement tool and I think I'm seeing the same problem. It does suggest a serious bug in the tool.Here's an example of the problem:1. I place a collection of buildings.2. I save it as scenery and also as a mission with a different name (just in case).3. If I immediately click NEW and re-load the scenery file then the buildings still appear correctly.4. I then exit FSX, run it again, start the tool and re-load the scenery file. Many of the buildings do not appear correctly, though the object boxes are still there. And it gets better. If I simply re-load the same scenery file then some of the previously missing buildings appear, while some of the other buildings disappear. If I re-load again then it reverts to the first situation. In other words, each time I re-load it toggles between the two situations, each situation having a different set of buildings that do not appear.The same problem occurs when using scenery or mission files.If I compile the scenery file then all buildings appear correctly, so there's nothing wrong with the scenery file. It has to be a problem with the tool. Unfortunately this makes it almost useless for serious design work. Hopefully someone will come up with a fix.Best regards, Chris

Guest archtx

Aha! Thanks for that, Chris. I've had that problem myself adding scenery objects to missions...but didn't know why. I just deleted them and replaced them.

Hi Chris.There is definitely something going on! And I think you're right... if the tool is not reliable, then it would be useless.I haven't worked with the Object Placement Tool much. I usually use XML, a text editor, and some cut'n'paste. By no means am I "defending" the tool. :)Dick

I've started to use the tool a few days ago. I had found a similar issue in the beta versions, but after a few hours of mucking about with the retail version, I have not seen this issue as yet. I'll keep my eyes open.Jon

Now that I am over my basic errors I have placed objects. However, my problem is that once they are placed, and I do a normal FSX session, I cannot subsequently edit the objects with the mouse. They appear in the Tool but I cannot use the mouse to move them about - Lock Position off. Editing the parameters in the Property Section works. Dynamic (mouse) editing alludes me.Regards,Dick Boley

regards,

Guest cwright

Dick, can you select objects? Left-clicking on the object should make its box go green when it's selected. When it's selected you should then be able to drag the object in the usual way. I have found that this is a bit hit-and-miss, though - sometimes it's almost impossible to select an object by clicking on it, though most objects can be selected. This tool could be quite useful but it shows signs of being very buggy and poorly implemented. Apart from the main problem I have - objects not appearing when the scenery file is re-loaded on subsequent sessions - the COPY function seems to be completely faulty as well.Best regards, Chris

Guest archtx

I sure hope someone comes up with a better tool. Missions are the only thing keeping me with FSX. (Well, not the only thing...but the main thing!) On my current project I've been doing more copy and paste in the XML, and editing coordinates. I can add code from previous projects.My son (who works in software) suggested it might be possible to create a simple tool with an Excel spreadsheet that will output an xml snippet. Has anyone had any experience with that? The only problem there is no "What you see is what you get" interface.

Hi archtx.WYSIWYG only seems to work sporatically. Sometimes you see the object, and sometimes you see just an oversized box. Sometimes you can move the objects, and sometimes you cannot.We'd be better off with a tool that will build XML placement using SimConnect, and Top-Down view. I think there are some programs for this in the works.Eventually, I'd hope a Mission Builder would develop from this.Dick

So does the Abacus tool work better? At first glance it seemed redundant, but if it solves these issues, it has real value.I'm not sure the utility of the Excel spreadsheet: it's easy enough to use a SceneryObject template and cut and paste coordinates from Dick's TCalcX. I do have a spreadsheet that I use to generate XML for objects that are intended to be strung together (provide GUID, direction, object length, etc., and it calculates the offset for subsequent objects), but since bridges are now extruded in FSX, I suspect this is not needed.Jon

Hi Jon.I think the Abacus tool simply takes a mission.xml and extracts the scenery placements, and reconstructs a scenery.xml.It then calls BGLComp to compile the BGL.You still need to use the Object Placement Tool to get the mission.xml.Dick

Guest bustervk

the Object Placement Tool from the SDK Mission Creation Kit is certainly not 100% reliable and useless in my opinion.Sometimes it works and sometime not.Also saved scenery.bgl's are not always showing up.Bert