Sign in to follow this  
jvile

BGLComp Substitute, Please

Guest Knikolaes

I am attempting to place airport beacons back in FS2004. I used to be able to do this on XP, but now i am running Vista Ultimate Edition and BGLcomp is not compatable with Vista.I have verified the incompatability by assuring the following:UAC is disabledBGLComp has full admin privilidgesBGLComp is set to run in compatability mode for XP SP2There is no Spyware or Antivirus tool running that would block this (the machine I am working on is strictly a flight sim so no need for such software).Is there an alternate program that can convert an XML file into a BGL File that works in Vista?Thanks. That beacon is the last step before I put a large project I am working on into Beta testing, and without a working bglcomp program there is no physical way to place working airport beacons in FS.

Guest Knikolaes

FOLLOWUP:When I do try to use BGLComp, a CMD window pops up and disappears so bloody fast I couldn't read it. Since posting this I went back and used rapidshot to get at least a faded varient of the window. Here was the result:BEGIN COPY:Parsing document: X:_TEMP_INSTALL_BeaconsRotating BeaconWork FolderKPUB_Beacon.XMLERROR C2034: XML Parse Fatal Error (line, column, error)ERROR: 5, 53, Quote expected.ERROR C2470: Unrecoverable error parsing XML!ERROR C2006: Parse failed (0x80004005)ERROR C2003: Failed to process file: X:_TEMP_INSTALL_BeaconsRotating BeaconWork FolderKPUB_Beacon.XMLEND COPYOops. Forgot a quote somewhere and found it after I posted this. KPUB now has night guidance for pilots again.**whew**Chris

Hi Chris:Glad you were successful after some further persistence.Just though I'd share a few ideas in case you might not be familiar with some legacy OS features still available in the subsystem of Windows.Although I do not run Vista, I should think that as in XP, one could still run the "Command Mode" in a window by entering "CMD" at the RUN command; this will open a window that allows you to see the result of all command mode activity in a given session being conducted at the command prompt, and that window will stay open until you choose to close it. This is especially helpful in tracking error messages, progress in tweaking one's batch routines etc.You should be able to click the icon at the top left of the command window title bar to access the edit menu and select/copy/paste any desired command session text to and from another normal window or program if you wish. This is convenient when using "batches" of commands in "batch" filesType "EXIT" when finished, or click the "X" button at the top right of the command window title bar to exit/close that window.Not much different than "good old DOS" from years ago! ;)Hope this helps! :-) GaryGB

"ERROR: 5, 53, Quote expected."Don't you just hate it when the problem turns out to be "pilot error" :) I've seen that one myself a couple times.Gary, have you seen "Cmnd Here"? It's an MS Powertoy that lets you open a command window in any folder by right clicking it in the explorer folders pane and choosing "Open a command window here". Saves having to "cd" or type/paste the full path to the excecutable. This one's for XP, don't know if there's a similar tool for Vista:http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...ppowertoys.mspxIt's a ways down on the list.I use it to open a command window in my bglcomp folder, then by typing "b" and repeatedly pressing the TAB key, the prompt will cycle through all files in the folder beginning with the letter "b". When it lands on bglcomp.exe (the first one in my case), I add a space, type the first letter of the .xml file I want to compile and press TAB again to cycle through filenames beginning with that letter. When it lands on the one I want I just press "Enter" and it compiles it.I love DOS, batch files, command line switches, etc :)Jim

Hi Jim:Thanks, an excellent find indeed!:-) I'll try that one out; some other nice tools on that page too...:-cool GaryGB

Guest Knikolaes

Gary -- OH yeah I remember DOS, but yes Vista has that ability. I just completely forgot about that!!! **smacks forehead** I will remember that in the future when using bglcomp :-)

There is nothing wrong with the 2 BGLCOMP compilers for either FS9 or FSX when using Vista as the OS.What I see, the problem is the XML you wrote which is corrupt and you do not have a error.txt file as part of your compiling process. Without a error.txt log you can't see what is causing the XML from being compiled to a bgl leading you to believe the compiler does not work in VISTA. You MUST also use the correct BGLComp compiler for the correct version of FS.You have to have a .bat file in your windows folder that will call the command prompt and then also after attempting to compile will give you a error.txt file which tells you why you did not get a bgl. The error.txt also gives you the line number in your XML code where the schema sees the problem.