Sign in to follow this  
Guest mikehaska

Free payware-quality aircraft....

Guest dek

Hey all, most of you probably know by now that there have been at least 2 aircraft recently downloaded to the library that are of payware quality. I really, really appreciate them both. 1. ATR by S

Don't forget Daviator's Stearman and Bill Lyons' Fleet Canuck.

I really like the look of the ATR aircraft and panel - and also the comprehensive checklist.But, a very quick fly around in it kind of felt wrong. It seems to have a model plane feel about it -- surely such a large aircraft would feel a lot heavier in the air. Try it and tell me -- I wouldn't know really and I don't want to "knock" the author -- it really is a great aircraft but something feels wrong with it.Barry

Guest dek

Barry, I agree. However, I am using an air file from a different ATR. I think the one that came with this ATR is from the default Cessna caravan. Try a different airfile and see if it changes your mind.dek

Guest dek

Sorry, of course you are correct! dek

Guest Moghdad

I haven't tried the ATR. I did download the Malibou. No offense intended, but no VC and not even remotely close to what we would expect from payware. Since I've stepped up to payware titles like the Arrow II and Commanche, I've lost interest in most freeware.

To qualify for "payware" quality recognition there should be no major gaps in avionics area. Are Garmin units correctly simulated on the Meridian ? Probably not even close. How about the ATR ? You would really need a major effort involving pilots that actually fly these airplanes. No offense to those who created these airplanes but payware really puts different kind of requirements on your product. I would say Bill Grabowski's ERJ-145 panel is the closest I have seen a freeware approaching payware quality. No wonder it receievd the Avsim 5 star award.Michael J.

I'd throw in a vote of appreciation for the excellent freeware Falcon 50, also!L.Adamson

You are right, I missed this one.Michael J.

Here we go again....sigh!Can we then assume that every payware aircraft produced has a full VC and a 100% accurate avionics suite? I think not. I could keep this forum busy for quite a while listing all the payware planes I've seen that have major deficiencies.I do believe that I posted a message back when I started the Meridian project that I was not a gauge designer and I was not even going to attempt the avionics in the Meridian. But I've seen endless complaints about every aspect of the Meridian since I released it. Both here and in e-mail. I'm flooded with it. I didn't get nearly the grief with my larger aircraft. For some reason the GA crowd here seems to think that someone who spends 100+ hours of their free time creating an aircraft, and then offers it to others for nothing has some sort of obligation to build it to exacting specifications or it just doesn't measure up. Tell you what, I've done my last GA aircraft, that's for sure. I started designing aircraft for my own use. I build them to my own requirements and then offer them to anyone else that wants to use them. Period. I've never attempted to make them "perfect". Never had any desire to. Mike Stone

To Mike Stone.........Please do not let this bother you! I really like and enjoy your Meridian! Thank you for your efforts. I cannot do it at all! I fly your plane all of the time.Vernon

I don't believe any Garmin units that you'd find in the Meridian have been modeled by anybody------------ have they? !!!!! L.Adamson

Dear Mike,Congrats on your fine work. I especially like the L-1011 especially with Garry Smith's reflective textures. Great Job !Can I inject a comment here ? Unfortunately, Michael J and some other users are absolutely obsessed with perceived, real or imagined shortcomings of all sorts in any project. Some folks are just impossible to please no matter how hard you try. Most critics contribute nothing to FS development and are instead happy to throw rocks at hardworking, generous folks like your good self. They rarely have any real understanding of the inherent limits of the simulator, or even understand real aircraft systems ... and in their ignorance, they can be most unreasonable. As you know - as a developer which Michael J is not - there ARE limitations even the most determined developer cannot overcome.Mate, this stuff happens (in these Forums more than most), and it does not matter two hoots whether a project is Freeware or Payware : these folks can never be satisfied. Don't let them get the better of you. Keep up the good work.Best wishes,Steve

>Unfortunately, Michael J and some other users are absolutely >obsessed with perceived, real or imagined shortcomings of >all sorts in any project. Some folks are just impossible to >please no matter how hard you try. You Steve obviously suffer from selective reading syndrome - you see only posts that support your point of view. You have right to do that. I have expressed full satisfaction with quite a few products on numerous forums but you wouldn't care, would you ?. But going back to the original post - it was about the "payware" quality and reasonable people may differ what this term means. I expressed my opinion what I think it implies for me. I have right to do that too.I also must say I consider resorting to personal attacks in very poor taste. Clearly you think otherwise. Good day.Michael J.

Guest dek

Blast it! I did't mean to start any controversy by my remarks. I should have added "IMHO". Sorry, but freeware aircraft of this calibur do not come by every day, and maybe I just wanted to show my appreciation. Perhaps freeware quality is in the eyes of the beholder. I would add more but I think I'll go for a short flight in the Falcon 50. Don't slip with full flaps (in a Cessna)! dek