Sign in to follow this  
Guest spenik

Where will FLY2 be a year from now?

Guest spenik

Well, I must confess I have neaver had any flight sim on my computer but Fly!2k and Fly!II. Both were excellent jobs, FlY!II being my favorite. I suppose one might count me as a "FlY!II fan" ;-)As for avsim, I stared posting in may or so, and I havn't leaned as much as I have in these past few months about Fly! as I ever thought I would! ( talk about a run-on sentance)As I am sure we all have nowticed, many, many people have put countless hours of work into Fly!II. ROTW is one of the many examples of this effort. And how many prodjects are on the way? I don't think I can count them on my two hands!"Alive and kicking" I belive puts it best.

As a once-frustrated former pilot, I've found Fly! to be the best representation for me. It just comes the closest to what I recall of my real world experiences, so it will definitely be my sim of choice for years to come.This is really a one-of-a-kind support community, loaded with talent (that has to come and go because of the pressures of work and family) - I really haven't felt any mass exodus. I am concerned about the future of Fly! in the retail world - in the meantime, let's keep working on sceneries, updates, corrections, aircraft, etc. and help to make this sim too good to ignore

Randall Rocke

Tony,I suspect that 10 years from today we will still find you here on this forum. I couldn't think of a single FLY user (ok, maybe Alejandro) besides you who carries the FLY banner so proudly.I admit I am looking forward to volumetric clouds in FS2004 and I won't miss any preview shots that become available. It may take a mighty PC to run it but in my opinion it may be a gigantic leap forward in simulated flying experience (yes, you need some good panels to go along !).Michael J.

Thanks Bart,My email address is drzgard@hotmail.com What I would need to know is which files contain the graphical parts, ie the center pedestal assembly for the King Air (needs to be lengthened), and then for the individual instruments the layout and color of the UNS-1 from the Hawker needs to be changed to match that used in the King Air. Yes, I know that the FMS has limited usefulness but it was planned for in the sim and maybe if another aircraft used it there would be more interest to make the other keys usable... what do ya think ;)When I get into working on these files I might email you for help, it would appear you have done some of this before.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest tonyc

You may be right, Michael. it's ironic, but I am 52 and am from time to time starting to worry about becoming old fashioned. I am becoming more sentimental about some things, and perhaps that explains my "loyalty" to FLY2. I do, however, fly fs2002 and have gone beyond comparisons. I do miss the days when there was a bit more pioneering spirit that was part of the new flight sims that were being announced. The add ons, too, I sometimes feel that all the addons coming out for fs2002 are just as overwhelming as the too few ones for FLY2 make me wish for a few more. So, as you can see, the forum is at times a place where people like us chat as if we were sitting at the local aiport watching, flying and reminiscing those times that seemed simpler and yet more exciting.tony

Guest tonyc

David, I am very much aware that you have not promised it. It's a wish....tony

>You may be right, Michael. it's ironic, but I am 52 and am>from time to time starting to worry about becoming old>fashioned. I am becoming more sentimental about some things,>and perhaps that explains my "loyalty" to FLY2. I'm 52 too ----- what explains my loyalties? :)L.Adamson

>I'm 52 too ----- what explains my loyalties? :)Oh my dear, I will be 52 in November .. shall we get together and celebrate our youth over a cold glass of beer at some airport .. he, he :-waveMichael J.

Guest tonyc

Why do I think that this is the start of a new kind of relationship?tony

Hmmmm. Well, I'm 54 and, senior moments aside, I think the biggest danger to Fly! is not having it on the shelf for the young ones (you know, those under 40) to discover and bring their passions to this wonderful hobby and sim. Us well-intentioned loyalist, even those under 40, are a small pool and subject to all the vagaries of life that either take us away from our hobby or leave little time for it, i.e., we don't have a lot of strength on our bench and some of those early shining stars have moved on to other pastures. We need the passion of new "users" to stir the pot with both their good ideas and frustations. Mostly we need some version of Fly! on the shelves again.A beer in the airport does sound pretty good -- trouble is these days you have to by ticket before you can get there.Don

Guest DSandberg

Understood. I just wanted to make sure that other readers didn't misread the original statement as saying that such a thing is already under development by myself, because to my eyes the statement could easily have been read that way. Don't want to give rise to false expectations, you know.- David

>I'll be 52 in july, so I'd like to join the youth>celebration.>Wonder what airport though? :-hmmm >I think an airport in Tahiti sounds resonable!L.Adamson