Sign in to follow this  
flyfisher

Wayne's Hobart YMHB

Have installed Wayne's Hobart YMHB and find the taxiways end short of the runway.Anybody also have this problem?Could it relate the D Vickers Aust-Dex files?Thanks,

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

G'day Flyfisher,Do you mean that there is a gap at the junction of the taxiway and the runway or are you aluding to the great design of some Aussie airports where the taxiways are not the full length of the runways (which is normal for many Aussie airports)A captain in a 747 up at Cairns did a right turn instead of a left turn and found himself facing the dead end of the runway and unable to do a U-turn. Had to call for assistance from the push back tug. :-)The attached pics depict Danny Vickers Hobart airport and are correct.There is a 910 metre leg one end and a 571 metre leg the other end.Cheers,Roger

Roger is correct in that the taxiway does not go all the way to the end of the runway. Most of the Australian airports are like that which must make flying into and out of them very interesting.I have taken the liberty of extending some of the taxiways further than the airport diagram shows. But, that is what happens when you are the person doing the scenery. I try not to get carried away with changes too much. Surprised I haven't heard more from you Australia people.

Flyfisher,One of your data bases is one very sick puppy. From your pics it's difficult to tell exactly where you are on the airport. Either your runways are off alignment or the taxiways are out. I'm using Danny Vickers Aussie airports so I don't think that's your problem. Could you land your aircraft on runway 30 and turn left at first taxiway. Stop your aircraft in the same position as I have in the attached pic. Enter the editor and check your latitude and longitude against mine. If they are the same then your runways are correct and taxiways incorrect. If they are sustantially different then the runways are incorrect. Continue until you meet your taxiway. Now check the latitude and longitude. They should be the same which confirms that the taxiways are correct.What the above does is confirms what is right and what is wrong.Making the corrections...... thats another story. Randalls the guru.I still haven't got around to fixing my own navigation ILS database.My latitude and longitude - just in case you can't read the pic in the post.LAT 42 50 16.6692LONG 147 30 49.7791Cheers,Roger

Flyfisher, there is definitely something wrong. I tried a library search to find the Danny Vickers scenery, but was not able to locate it.Perhaps Roger can tell us the download no., or it may not be available any longer. If you can get Danny's scenery you may want to install it and see what happens.The scenery I have done for Australia is based on the default scenery without any modification.Let us know what happens as I am interested in what is causing the problem.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the Vicker's scenery is correct. Wayne's scenery matches the default runway placement, so... it doesn't match Danny's placement and you therefore have alignment issues.

G'day Randall,That's not just a guess, but a well informed, logically reasoned, conclusion. I'd say you are 100% correct! :-) Why can't I think like that instead of flying off on a tangent all the time. :-lolThanks for sorting out the problem.Cheers,Roger

Wayne,Danny's updates are in the File Library under Fly!II - Navigation. You will find them listed as Australian Database Update Version 1.10 - the file is aust_dex110.zip.There were many errors in the default airport and runway placements - Danny corrected them and also updated the ILS approaches and navaids. It's a nice package - anyone who spends much time flying in Australia has this update installed. To get the most out of any airport scenery, I would recommend installing the Vickers updates first. Then, move your scenery components (taxiways, buildings, tarmacs, etc.) to match where adjustments are needed.After you make corrected versions, simply recommend that people install Danny's updates first as a prerequisite for using your Australian sceneries, then everyone will have the best of both worlds.

G'day Randall,The "Australian Database Update version 1.10" (125Kb) is just the navigation update. Danny fixed up all the runway, ILS, and waypoint locations.Just prior to his joining the RAAF he had produced Taxiways for ALL Australian Airports (approx 300 from memory)using data from the enroute supplement. - Taxiaust.pod (5.4 Mb). I was involved in basically populating the A-K airports and Danny was going to do L-Z airports. I don't think that file was uploaded to Avsim.I'll try and contact him.Cheers,Roger,

Hello Roger,As I understand it, a large portion of the 110 update included runway corrections. If Danny moved these runways, wouldn't there be alignment issues with any taxiways or scenery based on the defaults?

Roger sent me dex files and taxiway files that he had and which Danny Vickers had done. I applied those changes to my FlyII program and found that all my scenery for Australia had changed. I expect that is why Flyfisher is having a taxiway alignment problem.This is very discouraging as I had invested a lot of time in creating airport scenery. I expect that I will stop making airport scenery and apply my time to some other project.

Wayne,First of all, your scenery development has been nothing short of astonishing, and has greatly enhanced the Fly!II world for all of us - we really, really appreciate it!Before you you despair of your Australia creation work, you may be able to simply reset the position of your existing scenery elements within TM to match Danny's updates. If the taxiways are available at Avsim, you could replace your taxiway sets with theirs. If some taxiways are not generally available, then your taxiway set for that airport could also be realigned in Taxiway to the corrected runway position. The updated scenery sets could be called version 2 for those that have installed the appropriate updates, etc.Regardless, you shouldn't have to start from scratch as you have already done the majority of the work. Of course, you can simply say "enough!" and do something else. :-)

G'day Randall,Yes, any default (incorrect) runway would have alignment problems and thats what flyfisher is experiencing. As you pointed out Flyfisher is using Danny's modified runways but Waynes been using the default. ergo there is an alignment problem.But just Wayne using the dex files may not cure the problem. The dex files may move the runway but do they move the taxiways as well?? ( here I go flying off at a tangent again :-) )Sure the runways would now be in the correct position But he would still be using the default taxiways ( incorrect)Danny produced a taxiaust.pod (5.4 Mb - I have a copy) which has taxiways for ALL australian airports - it was a sizeable undertaking.I don't believe taxiaust.pod was ever uploaded. Using Terramodels we were going to populate all airports so that no matter where in Aus you fly to there wouldn't be just a barren airport awaiting you. I was going to populate the A-K's and Danny was going to populate the L-Z's.Unfortunately Danny joined the RAAF and drifted away from simming on Fly! II before the project was finished.I have just had an email to Danny seeking to get approval to upload taxiaust.pod to the Avsim library returned as "invalid address" so I don't know how to get in contact with him.There is a DannyV listed in the Avsim user profiles that I have emailed but as yet have not received a reply ( it may not be the Danny Vickers in question),Cheers,Rogerps: In the meantime if anyone is interested in australian airports then email me.

Roger,I think these are all of the possibilities:a. If Danny was successful in making new taxiways and they were to be made available, then Wayne could remove his from the scenery package.b.If a runway was moved and had no taxiways, taxiways produced after the DEX import would align properly.c. If a new taxiway set was made for the default and the creator kept his TXP file, then the taxiways project for that airport could be reloaded in the program and repositioned.d. Finally, if the airport taxiways existed in Fly!II before the runway was moved, then indeed, they will now be out of position. At this point, a new set could be constructed and given a load factor that gave it priority over the original.

Roger,Wayne and Randall,I enclose a screenshot using the editor with the mouse 'X' at the top of the screen and the fixed 'X' in the centre.The former has the coordinates 42 50 16.6883, 147 30 49.7568.The latter 42 50 26.2969 and 147 30 50.5900.Ian

Correct - the taxiways by Wayne would use the airport center as a coordinate for position. With the runway moved by Danny, you can now see the offset. The taxiways are still in their original position, relative to the center coordinates, but the runway itself has moved.

G'day Flyfisher,Yep you have applied Danny Vickers dex file and moved the runway away from it's default position.The centre red X is still in the default position, It should be approxLAT 42 50 16.6692LONG 147 30 49.7911I can email you the aust taxiways pod if you like which will move the taxiway to it's correct position. This will unfortunately leave behind all of Waynes models out of alignment.However if I understand Randall correctly this may perhaps be corrected by a simple offset being included in the terramodels files.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

G'day Wayne,I'm sorry that it didn't occur to me that you were using the default airports. Unfortunately the Aussie default runways/taxiways are not accurate. The default Sydney is an absolute nightmare!I know it's discouraging to see ones work not quite right but if Randal's correct ( and most of the time he's spot on ) it may only require a simple offset to be applied to the terramodels files. I hope such is the case as I wouldn't like to see you give up your passion over this setback. The file taxiaust.pod is not available in the Library. Until it is I think it might be prudent to delay (not cancel) doing any further work on Aussie airports. I'm trying to contact Danny to get his permission to upload it. Not having much luck. I might try the other sim forum.Cheers,Roger

G'day Randall, Danny did make/alter taxiways for ALL Australian airports contained in a file taxiaust.podI do hope that Wayne is able to add some form of offset to align his work up with Danny's taxiways/runways. Each airport will have it's unique offset.I'm not having much luck contacting Danny. My email was returned address unknown.Cheers,Roger

Roger,Here's an idea I'd like to try...1. Look up the airport center coordinates in the DB2. Look up the original runway endpoint coordinates3. Look up the new coordinate endpoints created when Danny moved the runway(s)4. Using Colin's Fly! Distance-Calculator, I would ascertain the exact amount of movement/heading to estimate the change from airport center5. Apply this change to the airport coordinates and edit the airport DB to create a new airport centerAfter the DEX was imported, I would place Wayne's taxiway to see if it now aligned properly, or use his TXP file to open his taxiway files for repositioning.It's also possible that a new center position, if applied to Wayne's TM file for the airport, may instantly realign all the models. If not, then reopening the TM file after applying Danny's updates would allow for some fairly easy repositioning of the existing models. Testing this would require that Wayne send me his original TM file for the airport.The one possible downside to the "instant fix" DEX would be that your's and Danny's taxiways may be knocked out of place, but if that was the case, then Wayne's would be correct.

G'day Randall,I have an idea!! :-)I have the txp's for all the airports of Danny's that I was populating. Can you determine the airport center from the Txp for Hobart if I send it to you.? - might save you a bit of maths and mucking around.As I am way out of my depth now Randall I'll zip up all I have on Aussie airports and email it to you to sort through. Maybe it may be of help to you.Cheers,Roger

Thanks to all who have had input on this subject. I have applied the taxiway files by Danny and the results are not good. The taxiways that I have previously done are out of alignment and in some instances housing and airplanes are now located on the runways and taxiways.I have some of the TM files, but I usually delete those after publishing the airport scenery.At the present time I have stopped doing scenery and may not start again. Other projects are starting to consume my time and will probably prevent me from returning to Fly.

Wayne,I'm really sorry to hear that you have stopped developing scenery and, most importantly, that you may not return to Fly!I wish you all the best with your other projects and I want to thank you for all the outstanding work that you've done for us, the Fly! community.I hope that you can stop by, at least from time to time, and that we can get together in virtual flights and other activities.Stay in touch!Best regards,http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

I echo Alex's sentiments, Wayne. It would be shame to see you depart the Fly! community, but can understand. I wish to personally thank you for all your efforts with Seawind's water landing. Without your help and efforts, she'd still be "land-locked" and unable to even make water landings! Until we get the rest of her systems and engine in order, she remains in Alpha stage. But all your efforts are greatly appreciated - both in the Seawind's work and the scenery that populates many airports in my Fly! II Setup. Thanks so much!!!Best to you in all your endeavors!Ken Wood :-sun1http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewkw.jpgGateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock