Sign in to follow this  

so what is everyone flying these days?

Anyone still fly the BMW of the sky? the Mooney Bravo! Wish I had one in real life ;)CheersShelton.

Guest jonpoint

BMW of the sky? Mooney? Nah, BMW's stop better than that (referring to the long approach requirement...)I always thought of the Mooney as a 1989 Camaro - small inside, heaps of power, doesn't like corners and really objects to stopping quickly when the brakes are hot (yes, we got rear drums on ours in Australia :-grr )I've been flying the GeeBee a lot 'coz I'm working on it at the moment. My delivery schedule has been messed up 'coz I'm determined to be able to fly the thing before I upload it! The GeeBee is kinda like a Mooney with a B17 engine bolted to the front - and the DTs :-hahOh, and if you drop below 100kts, it falls out of the sky tail-first...Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Good luck with the GeeBee Jon - looking forward to seeing it!Cheers,Shelton.

Shelton,I spent some time flying the Mooney after I became fed up with the Baron :-) I never experienced too many problems flying or landing it, but then everyone around here knows that I'm an expert pilot :-lolChris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

>I've been flying the GeeBee a lot 'coz I'm working on it at >the moment. My delivery schedule has been messed up 'coz I'm >determined to be able to fly the thing before I upload it! >The GeeBee is kinda like a Mooney with a B17 engine bolted >to the front - and the DTs >:-hah >>Jon Point Jon: Does it still torque hard right ? I find that if I hold the ailerons hard left on take-off, until it reaches 60 MPH, the tail comes up and the rudder becomes effective. At 60 MPH you can instantly relax the stick, and just steer it off the ground. Were you able to fix the right hand torque ? Just curious ?Jim

Guest R_Driscoll

Yep, a common problem if you have engine failures switched on. But its easy to solve - put the plane into a gradual dive and trim the autopilot to maintain attitude, open the door, climb out over the cowling (best to have the gear down for a foothold or to grab if you fall off), straighten the props (good idea here to have the magnetos switched off - otherwise, climb back into the cabin, switch off the magnetos, climb out again and now straighten the props). Might as well whilst you're out there just check oil, fuel flow, fix anything else wrong with the motor (you brought a basic toolkit? its still in the cabin is it? Better go get it). Close up everything, carefully climb back into the cabin, shut the door (the drag may disturb the autopilot), and then go through your restart checklist. James Bond does this sort of thing all the time.I haven't got a photo of anyone doing this - if you have one, you may want to upload it to AVSIM. Now there's a challenge.I never have problems doing this myself (even though I'm not quite like Bond), but then most of my engine failures are due to vertical landings, a term I use for the ground leaping up and hitting my plane during flight, so I'm at ground level anyway.Rob D.

Guest Allan_D

Hi Rob,That does sound like a challenge :-lolI remember watching a movie, about wolves, can't remember the name of it, but I think it was shot in Alaska, The Bush pilot crawled out the side door of his plane and was adjusting something, while they were in the air, I believe if remember correctly the motor had stopped for some reason. Old Beaver on skies, (I think) It was pretty cool, I wish I remembered the correct title, I'd play the movie to my computor and take a few screen shots for posting. Have Fun :-jumpyAllanhttp://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

Prop failures in the Mooney - surely not ;)Thanks for the picShelton.

Hi Shelton,When I'm in FU3, I usually fly the Renegade or the Mooney. The Mooney is surprisingly rugged and with those air brakes, it'll even survive trips to Caniff Glacier ;-)In FS2002, the Mooney doesn't climb very well. You pretty much have to get a lot of forward momentum at straight-and-level, then point the nose up.Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifBFU Forums Moderator[table border=2 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=1][tr][td][table border=0 cellpadding=8 cellspacing=0][tr][td bgcolor=#540000]http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/logo75t.gif[/td][td align="center" bgcolor=#FFFFF6]Bush Flying Unlimited"At home in the wild"Looking for adventure? Come join us! * [link:bfu.avsim.net|Web Site] * [link:www.cafepress.com/bfu,bfu2,bfu3,bfu4|BFU Store] * [link:bfu.avsim.net/join.htm]Join!][/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table

Okay, guys, I stand in shame here, with head bowed; I've been only flying the Trainer modified by Tom, for quite some time now. I really want to move up the ladder, but let me have just one more hop with it from Martha's Lake to Sequim Valley :)

Guest DLM

Yeah, the Seawolf must be the most "BFU optimized" aircraft around? Rugged, less fuel stops thanks to the external fuel-tanks, fast yet VSTOL capable and very easy to fly! Give it a try Naji!// Daniel

Guest twsimfan

Naji,"I've been only flying the Trainer modified by Tom, for quite some time now."I'm pleased to know that somebody besides me still uses it! :)

Guest Dann

"Seawolf"?? Am I missing something again?Dan