Sign in to follow this  
Speedbyrd

AI inbound clearance timing error

I notice that sometimes RC gives an AI aircraft clearance to land AFTER it's already landed! It will also clear me to enter the runway and line up when another AI is less than 3 miles from touchdown. Is this just one of things that needs to be worked on or is it just what it is?

lining up with a plane on a 3 mile final is normal for 4.xthat will be tweaked in v5 with an instruction for "immediate takeoff"ai being told cleared to land after they've landed? that's a good one. i'd have to see a .log to see why that happened. was it one of those ai that skim along at 180knots about 10 feet off the ground?jd

>that will be tweaked in v5 with an instruction for "immediate>takeoff">Now that would be a very good improvement in v5 - I regulary hear that instruction on real-life ATC.

No, my AI's usually perform quite well. This was a Mauritius a340-3 that flies quite beautifully and lands at what seems to be normal speed. Same thing happened yesterday with on of my DC-8-80's. In this case, the plane had actually left the runway and was taxiing to the gate when it was cleared to land. Had I not known better, I would have been waiting for another one to land but I only had one scheduled at FIMP. It doesn't happen with all AI's, it seems to be only the first one that appears as I'm ready to line up on the runway. All others are announced properly. I'll send the log next time and you can have a look.

While not specific to your case there has been some (not RC) reports of duplicate AI flights. This can occur due to multiple traffic.bgl files being installed where the same flight schedule appears.One way to check this is to note when and where (time and date) this occurs then set up a parked flight at the location and time. In your FSUIPC install folder is a program called Traffic Look. This will run in a window outside of FS and shows a table of ground, air, or both AI aircraft and the status of each. This will tell you if you have duplicate flights coming in.

I don't think it's duplicate flights (well actually, I'm certain it isn't).I think it's more a timing issue, when calling up and/or monitoring the tower freq.It seems that if there is an AI on approach to my dep runway, no matter where he is on the app, as I tune the tower RC will generate chatter for it, resulting in many "ABC123, on 1 mile final" calls, and occasionally landing clearance given after landing.Maybe a compromise would be, if AI is inside 3NM, we could assume landing clearance has been given, and RC could skip the chatter ?Also, I really wish you guys would reconsider the user line-up clearance issue as mentioned above. I've raised the issue before, but I will again here: IMHO, the line-up clearances with such close inbounds will only work in FS as or in conjunction with immed t/o clearances, and since that will be a v5 thing, PLEASE INCREASE THE DISTANCE.Some of us fly bigger aircraft with RC than anecdotes from the more vocal testers indicate that you guys do, and from full stop, need more time to get into position. Maybe tie it to the "Heavy" checkbox, I dunno, just please, something.

Regards,

Brian Doney

we took your comments, and have based the distance for the green light to be cleared onto the runway, and the distance where you get the immediate takeoff, on the type of aircraft you are in, and the speed and distance of the ai coming inthis is in v5jd

I totally agree this would be good. I fly almost exclusivley heavies, (747, A340, MD11) and those things don't whip into line-up position like a sports car. I think increasing the distance for AI green light would be like 5 to 7 miles out. I'll be interested to see V5, as I'm really thrilled with 4.2Any estimated release date for 5 yet?