Sign in to follow this  
Guest Temp

ATC Pre-recorded Chatter.

Guest Temp

Hi all.OK, this is not a moan. Just a query.Am I expecting too much? I'm a UK citizen so I have been flying up and down my own back yard getting used to the feel of RC4 and loving the program to bits! However, my last couple of flights have been to Frankfurt Main in Germany and Paris from the UK .When flying up and down in the UK, there is almost continuous ATC pre-recorded chatter. When leaving the UK for Europe (Frankfurt & Paris in this case), the chatter stopped completely. Even inside Germany & Paris en route to the airports there was no chatter whatsoever. I was expecting to hear Real pre-recorded ATC chatter directing traffic in and around Germany and Paris etc just like I hear in the UK. The only chatter I got to hear was the AI chatter and suddenly my flights felt quite lonely again. For some reason, I got it into my head that wherever you went in the World with RC4, there would be Real ATC chatter.

i rely on user submissions for pre-recorded chatter. if an area doesn't have pre-recorded chatter, no one has provided anyon the other hand, you should have plenty of real ai chatter on every flight. chatter that is appropriate to the current conditions, and aircraft in the area. pre-recorded is not real for your flight (it was real at some point in the past). wrong wind directions, wrong pressure, wrong planes around you, wrong runways, etc. i never use it. plenty of ai chatter, that is accurate and meaningful for me.jd

Guest Temp

pre-recorded is not real for your flight (it was real at somepoint in the past). wrong wind directions, wrong pressure,wrong planes around you, wrong runways, etc. i never use it.plenty of ai chatter, that is accurate and meaningful for me.jdWell, you really know how to sell your own product don't you. The RC4 developer saying all that. Why did you put it into your product if that's your view on the ATC pre-recorded chatter?Besides. What's "Real" in Flight Simulator anyway? I Know the pre-recorded ATC chatter isn't exactly matching the users scenario but it just sounds good in the background in my view, besides which, in my own humble respectful opinion, it sounds a darn sight better than some of the awful robotic sounds of the AI chatter voices. Anyway, having said that, I still think RC4 is a great ATC add-on and I thank you and the team for bringing it to us.

If you have installed some freeware or all encompassing AI traffic packages I suspect you will find quite a bit of AI chatter. I am running Ultimate Traffic at 100% and do not have a problem with lack of AI chatter (Interact With AI and AI Chatter both on, Prerecorded Chatter off). No robotic voices here on the pilot responses. The point is that this is chatter relevant to your FS environment as you fly.I just did a test flight (with RC5) this afternoon (it uses the same AI chatter options and waves for AI pilots) and there was plenty of RC ATC chatter with AI on ground, Tower, Departure, enroute (which by nature is less on this route), approach, and tower. I was going from Berlin Tegel (EDDT) to Stuttgart (EDDS) at noon LT. At the departure ground there was lots of startup requests and taxi instructions. As far as arrival tower remember that aircraft are only on tower for a short period on final until exiting the runway and with proper aircraft separation you will not hear much. Approach was congested at EDDS.Enroute is split up among many controllers in any FIR sector based on position and altitude so you will only hear a few other aircraft on the same frequency. It gets busier as aircraft come together at main shared waypoints as you are near the departure or approach end.

my opinion isn't new.before there was ai chatter, pre-recorded chatter was nice ear candy that made your flight sound better. but don't adjust your altimeter to what you heard on the last chatter that was played!and, the very thing that you commented on, lack of world wide coverage is another drawback of pre-recorded chatter.why is it there? believe my, i would have pulled it in version 4, but my users said they wanted it. i listened. i kept it.but i made the ai chatter as compelling as could be, so you wouldn't need the pre-recorded chatter.and i will carry it forward in all liklihood into v5.i'd be interested in knowing where the sliders on your voices screen are, if you think the voices are robotic.jd

The file libraries of the various FS sites (even right here at avsim) has additional chatter files available for download. Zurich Radar, Denver, Thames Radar, Boston, etc just to name a few from the first pages listed. You can download them and add it to RC if you like (instructions are in the manual/FAQ). There are also some HF sets available for those long OCA flights too.But I would, like jd and Ron, encourage you to use the AI chatter. Wouldn't you rather hear "Air France 22, runway 27L, line up and wait" when you can really see a Air France holding short of 27L? Otherwise, with real world chatter you'd hear a Lufthansa being cleared for take-off on runway 09L, which would make no sense at all.If at all anything, it's also there to help keep the situational awareness around you. That's always important.Subs

Guest Temp

jd, ronzie and Subs. Thank you for your responses. I want to stress again the point I made in my first post in that the subject at hand was not a moan but just a query.I do listen to the AI chatter with my Traffic 2005 package but I also do like to listen in conjunction with the "Eye" or perhaps "Ear" candy of the ATC pre-recorded chatter even though it bears no resemblance to the current scenario that my aircraft is in at the time. As jd says, people wanted it so it was kept and I can see why people want it kept. It sounds so good! It's a good piece of ATC banter that fills the voids and it can simply be unchecked anytime in the settings. Anyway, with the ATC controllers, one minute there in London control and the next flight I'll here the same controller working in Maastricht so you could argue that that's not very realistic either. Anyway, to sum up, I was only inquiring as to why the pre-recorded chatter ceased when I left the UK shores never to return when entering Germany and France. It really isn't that important to me. Thanks all. Enjoy your weekend.Best regards.

I bought a dvd somewhere online, I cant remember where. It is called Ultimate RealATC V1.1 by Ralph Zimmermar. There is a huge selection of wavs that you just copy into your RC4 directory and gives you cover in many regions.I have both the AI chatter and the pre-recorded, I prefer both as I fly with 30% traffic so there is not a huge amount of banter going on when inflight. I dont listen to the pre-recorded so it doesnt matter what the accent or location is etc its just adds background ambience for me!Gray

Hi,You could also do what I do - record chatter off the internet.I use LiveATC.Net http://www.liveatc.netThere are live or slightly delayed (for security) ATC feeds for many countries worldwide. I use my basic sound recording device to record them and edit them down in Creative Wave Studio, or any basic sound editor you can get your hands on. I save the chatter in 11025 kHz, 8 Bit Mono format. This saves disk space as this is radio chatter and not the New York Philharmonic. A Yahoo or Google search for 'ATC Chatter' will also help.Hope it helps!Cheers,Mike T.

Thanks for this informative disccussion! @Mike ..but how do you install it in RC4? for example I want to record/install ATC chatter for Juneau area?Rob "Holland&Holland" de Vries http://fool.exler.ru/sm/fly2.gif"To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder"

RobdeVries.jpg

Hi Rob,Page 136 of the RC4 manual will tell you how to go about it. Once you have everything set up, remember to make backups of your chatter so you'll always have it.Cheers,Mike T.

Cheers Mike, it's much appreciated. I ordered the DVD mentioned above!I hope that RC5 still does have the option of precanned chatter. Although not accurate it adds to the immersion!Rob "Holland&Holland" de Vries http://fool.exler.ru/sm/fly2.gif"To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder"

RobdeVries.jpg

The Ultimate RealATC product is avaialbe again as donation-ware which meansyou get to set your own price and it's also direct download.

Edited by Ralph_Zimmerman

Hi Ralph, Is the RealATC on par with what RC-4 already provides ??? I've always enjoyed having the chatter piped in among the typical RC-4 ATC... Is it easy to load into RC-4 ??? Thanks for the tip - as I've never noticed this product before...:smile:Regards,Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7