Sign in to follow this  
Walter Almaraz

How Do I Install Add On's Outside the Prepar3D V3 Core Folder - Discussion Topic

Discussion Thread for the original post in "Tips and Tricks"

http://www.avsim.com/topic/482427-how-do-i-install-add-ons-outside-the-prepar3d-v3-core-folder/#entry3362845

=====================================================

Very nice tutorial Elaine :smile:

Regards,

Walter

Edited by n4gix
Split discussion from locked topic.
  • Upvote 1

Walter Almaraz

4.jpg

Keep 'em coming Elaine!  Your best work yet!  Now if only the dev's would follow the same routine.  

• Upvote 1

\Robert Hamlich/

Boy, Elaine, you certainly put in one helluva effort into this, and like Robert said, your best, yet.

Kudos to you :Applause: :Applause: :Applause: :Applause: 

• Upvote 1

Thank you.  

I tried to Install FlightBeam KDEN outside the folder,  But it has a Locked Installer like Orbtx,  So i got no satisfaction there.   

Discussion thread created for locked topic in "Tips and Tricks".

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Elain, if KDEN is a simple scenery install, (no tricks like ORBX), you can create a fake FSX folder and put a fake FSX file in there , add the entry in the Registry with one of the Aerosoft registry fix and install the scenery, then you know...

This does not work with ORBX , they manipulate files and FTX Central has to be in the root , but it works OK for all OZx scenery...

Jorge

• Upvote 1

Hello Jorge,  Thank you for the tip.    

===========================

Yes,  it seems only some Scenery you can Install into a separate folder without Tricking the Installer.   UK2000 Heathrow works fine outside the folder, Well in saying that, i have yet to get my little Ramp people moving,  but still working on it.  

I presume the newly released Realair Legacy is the same as its big brother when Installing  (Automatically adding to simobjects.cfg and effetcs.cfg) ??

Excellent! This is very useful when updating/reinstalling P3D. Just one question - is every addon compatible with this method, or only with P3D v3 installers? I can't see why they wouldn't be compatible with all the paths properly set

Hello Pe,  No i'm afraid not,   this is what i understand about it.  

Regarding only Prepar3D installers and only genuinely compatible outside the folder Installers.  When i say Genuine i mean no Installer Trickery or adding paths to your Registery, there are very few that will Install and operate perfect this way. 

The Realair TurbineDuke and Legacy and also MyTraffic 6 are compatible outside the folder Installers  they will Install and Automatically add the correct Paths to the .cfg files.   (With MyTraffic 6 you will have to Click to add)  

As you can see from the Image the TurbineDuke and the Legacy will Automatically add 2 path's to your .cfg files, these 2 Path's will have everything you need to go and fly.  Of course My Traffic 6 will add a Path also.   All Installing and operating in a most beautiful way. 

24966404235_2a435f690d_o.png

Regarding other Airplanes,  taking the Carenado Carvan F406 as an example.  I can create a new folder and Install in there, i will then add my simobjects to simobjects.cfg which will give me a perfect exterior model with all big sounds like engine and cabin rattle and so on,  but as i have not added my Gauges yet the Interior of the plane looks bare and mad looking.  So i will add my Gauges to gauges.cfg,  after i do this i now have a nice looking plane inside and outside.   The problem is i don't have any little VC sounds, like battery and light switches,  As you can see from the structure of the folder,  the Simobjects has the big sounds but i can not get the the Sound folder (little VC sounds) in the main folder to connect at all.  It does not matter how i add the sound to sound.cfg it will not connect.

Of course im not moaning just experimenting really   

24966383915_68f9b519bc_o.png

*EDIT*  Just to say,  when i install the Carvan inside the Prepar3D folder,  everything works as it should, Perfect,  This sound problem is only when i install Outside the Prepar3D folder 

In saying that you can Install plenty outside the Prepar3D folder, Scenery mostly and manually add your Path's to the .cfg files.  In some cases like FlyTampa you will need to copy and paste the Prear3D.exe  into your new folder for the Installer to see it.  

Orbtx and Flightbeam have a locked Installer so no go there.  UK2000 Scenery will Install no problem.  That's as far as i got really.